OSX on a x86 PC w/screenshots

Dag33k

n00b
Thought the [H] might be interested in this one a software program that lets you run Mac OSX on your PC. This is not PearPC. This is a full featured G4 emulator that has a lot of speed and functionality. I was given this beta version by my work to test, I do Q&A for a small company, and I wanted to share with you. The program installed easily and after setting up a profile I installed OSX. I am now able to use OSX in emulation just like I would any other operating system. Think VMWare. I like having the ability to run windows applications and OSX applications at the same time.You can drag and drop files from one OS to the other and have full Internet capabilities.

Anyway here are some screen shots and I will try to answer any questions as long as they don't jeopardize my job.

screengrab10.03.04sml.jpg

screengrab10.04.04sml.jpg

screengrab10.05.04sml.jpg

P.S. The beta version that I am running is as fast as a 1gig G4.

Those are kind of small screenshots - any way to get larger ones?

Also, wouldn't the speed of the emulated computer depend on how fast your computer is?

Are there any links to the maker of this software? Any more information on it?

ive always wanted to try OSX, but refuse to buy an overpriced Apple machine to do it

want to send a copy of the demo my way ;) or make a torrent ;)

just kidding, it does look pretty cool, hopefully it will progress and they will have a final release in the near future!

Steel Chicken said:
ive always wanted to try OSX, but refuse to buy an overpriced Apple machine to do it

I'm in the exact same boat.

I never quite understood why Jobs and co. never ported OSX to the PC. Id buy a copy in a heartbeat. I guess they dont want too lose hardware sales...but still. Imagine how much cash they would make if they ported it...

They would lose cash if they ported it. They would have to maintain drivers for 40 million different configurations, probably quadruple their tech support staff. Their business model isn't domineering like Microsoft, but its reasonably intelligent and slip streamed for efficiency. They sell the whole widget, and I don't see that changing any time soon....

devstopmac.png

here is a larger pic of my computer runing osx.. on gentoo linux with pearpc.. it is pretty neat.. but getting internet to work on it is a pain

Steel Chicken said:
I never quite understood why Jobs and co. never ported OSX to the PC. Id buy a copy in a heartbeat. I guess they dont want too lose hardware sales...but still. Imagine how much cash they would make if they ported it...

Ah, but they did port it to x86. It's been demoed at the Mac Conferences to a select few. They have no plans to sell it. The main reason behind it is if something drastic should happen with their processor suppliers, they have a fallback plan.

djnes said:
Ah, but they did port it to x86. It's been demoed at the Mac Conferences to a select few. They have no plans to sell it. The main reason behind it is if something drastic should happen with their processor suppliers, they have a fallback plan.

Also, the control they currently have over their hardware is one of the things that make MacOS X what it is. Getting it to run on every semi-recent PC under the sun would require either lotsAndLots of work, or cutting corners, and I imagine releasing it without support for more than a few select pieces of hardware wouldn't be too popular either.

Not that I don't want it anyway.

Dag33k: I guess there's no hardware 3d acceleration?
(That would be too impressive. :D )

djnes said:

Hazy facts here (not entirely certain on the terms)...they ported Darwin (core of OS X) to Intel chipsetted Intel processors (so it would work on my Dell P4 at work but not my Via/Athlon at home)... Ah ha! Link:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/6.0/release.html

Scooting through the faq... It is just the core. Programs written for Darwin ought to run unmodified on Mac OS X. Programs written on Mac OS X won't run on Darwin if they call for features only included in Mac OS X. (Functionally similar to running old dos programs on Windows - should work, but running Windows programs on Dos doesn't.)

I haven't used it so I can't vouch for it. I just remember it being released.

Dawrin is alive and AFAIK growing (slowly, I suspect), but yes, there's no Quartz, no graphical toolkits, no OSX-libraries, etc. It's basically a BSD-ish system with an unusual kernel (and poor hardware support).

screengrab10.06.04sml.jpg

Hope this screenshot is better. The test system I am using is an AMD64 3400+ with a gig of ram and the emulator runs like a 1gig G4. The developer is working on G5 emulation right now and by the end of the month it should be released. The name of the software is CherryOS. I am supposed to get a new version today or tomorrow will update.

dag33k ;)

how does internet work on it.. on my box.. i have to router internet to the emulation (pearPC) through my linux box.. so i have to create a new subnet just for it.. and it is kinda annoying.

Will this CherryOS just grap a seperate IP from a already existing dhcp server.. or will whatever OS it is running on.. have to route internet to it by creating a new subnet

devourment77 said:
how does internet work on it.. on my box.. i have to router internet to the emulation (pearPC) through my linux box.. so i have to create a new subnet just for it.. and it is kinda annoying.

Will this CherryOS just grap a seperate IP from a already existing dhcp server.. or will whatever OS it is running on.. have to route internet to it by creating a new subnet

The nice thing about CherryOS is that it just uses dhcp to get its IP. If you have ever run VMWare it is very simular to their bridged connection where it shares the host nic and connects directly to the network.

dag33k

P.S.- It runs much faster and is very simple to set up compared to PearPC.

is this opensource.. or is it not free.. and how much is it.. i wouldn't mind running osx on one of my desktops without the troubles of pearpc

Is it free or where do you buy it and how much?

Is there any partitions that nee dto be placed....

Is it free or where do you buy it and how much?

Its not free and not open source. The developer said about $50 us.

also.. can you full screen it.. like you can with pearpc

Yes you can fullscreen it... You can set the resolution in the install and change it on the fly once it is up and running.

I am getting my hands on the final release tomorrow... :D

Looks like PearPc can also manage linux and other os partitions (lets you choose what you want to boot when in windows, I think thats neat .

(I found that on some reading I did you can boot windows mac osx and other operating systems.)

ZenPirate said:
More importantly, can they withstand Apple's ninja-like black ops legal team?

^^ rofl....that's gonna be the stickler....make sure you let us know when its released so we can snag a copy before the lawyers scale the walls armed with n1nj4 weapons! :D

I think it is fake
go to watch the video and you can see nothing about runnig osx programs:mad:
If it is for real than god bless you Dag33k for leting us know about this program :eek:
but how can we get it or buy it :rolleyes:
it desrves the 50 bucks if it is working with speed of G4 1gig
If this is is true than I know more than 120 persons who are willing toget it
please be real :)

wasn't apple working on a version of OSX that could run on x86 called Marklar?

oakfan52 said:
wasn't apple working on a version of OSX that could run on x86 called Marklar?

ive heard this rumor also, but im sure itll never see the light of day.

I call BS.

No way this is true, once again people... x86 processors simply do not have enough registers to effectively emulate PPC processors. Saying your PC is going to run at 1ghz G4 speeds is ridiculous.

If anything, this will prove that people really are interested in OSX -- but for them to come out and say "hey, we even support video acceleration, all sorts of hardware, etc" just screams that it's a fake.

Move along, people. If you want to try OSX, go buy a Mac.

Slashdot has an article posted it about it and apparently they did what they do best, took down the companies servers. Im kinda in doubt about this whole thing but I for one would def. pay the $50 to get a copy if it actually works (independently tested) at the speeds and capabilities they're promising! :) I love my little iBook but its limited hardware keep me on the PC for most things.

Oh yea, here's a link to the manual from their website (might or might not work due to server load) Manual

Having a PC running like a 1ghz G4 or whatever is a complete lie and is a dead giveaway. It's like saying you can get a Mac and with VirtualPC you can emulate windows and SSE3 :rolleyes:

Ribby said:
Having a PC running like a 1ghz G4 or whatever is a complete lie and is a dead giveaway. It's like saying you can get a Mac and with VirtualPC you can emulate windows and SSE3 :rolleyes:
Couldn't you just leave you troll comment on Slashdot where it was originally posted? They're saying they can emulate the speed (which hasn't been verified yet so give them the benefit of the doubt) not all the functionality or physical abilities.

I think this is crap. The Connectix team that made virtual PC took years to get it to get up to 25% the speed of a normal PC. This one guys gets OSX to run on a PC in a few months?

No Way!!!!

And look at the BS video. Nothing is even happening on demo.

I think he's just collecting credit cards.

I beleive that OSX on x86 just won't work. Apples os is "so stable" because they have control over the hardware and software. If they have to start allowing vendors to make their own drivers and such yous OSX is gonna get jus as FUBAR as windows can get.

argosreality said:
Couldn't you just leave you troll comment on Slashdot where it was originally posted? They're saying they can emulate the speed (which hasn't been verified yet so give them the benefit of the doubt) not all the functionality or physical abilities.

Oh don't get me wrong - I have a dell laptop, custom pc and a dual processor G5. What I'm saying is that for them to offer G4 performance and not G3 they are having to come up with some sort of altivec level software emulation. Given the comment on Slashdot the author had a point - x86 architecture doesn't have the registers to emulate it.

It's like saying you can offer comparable power from an engine through better ecu - if they are comparable capacity it could well be within the realm of reason. However stating you can match 80% of the power when the other is twin turbocharged it sets alarm bells off ringing - it's just too good to be true.

If it is true I'll be thrilled, however going on 80% of a G4 (given OS X gearing towards making use of this hardware-level processing) it just seems too far fetched.

Back