Better Airflow Mod *PICS*

Lee Enfield

Limp Gawd
I found this mod on a different forum, but it was such a great mod and reduced temps pretty well too that I'd though I'd share it with you. It was posted by Booradley on the Maximum PC Forums. Here it is in its entirety.

Hi all

These are a couple mods I did a while ago before I went to watercooling. As an MRL member I figure I should be producing something for the group

There are two parts to this mod. Part one, shows how to easily mount a 120mm fan inside your case. Part 2, shows how to mod your drive bay covers. I guess both mods can be done individually, but they work best when done together. This may take a while, so bare with me

Part 1
As you will see I have a CM Wavemaster case. Owners of this case will know that they have some problems with air flow resulting in some pretty high temps. This was my successful attempt at increasing the airflow.

What you'll need:
-1 120mm fan
-double sided tape (more proof for Chumly that double sided tape works)

The idea is to tape the top part of the fan to the bottom of an optical drive and the back of the fan to your hard drive wrack.

1.JPG

2.JPG

The end result will look something like this

3.JPG

4.JPG

Depending on the size of your case and it's configuration, you should have no problems fitting the fan in. I was able to get my hands on a UV reactive fan, so I think it ended up being functional and fabulous

Part 2
This is the more difficult part. You'll need to dremel out the core of your front bay cover and then glue some kind of mesh in its place. You'll want to match up your materials for the best look. ie. aliminum drive bay cover and steel mesh, or plastic to plastic etc.

What you'll need
-a dremel
-masking tape (the tape just covers the bay cover so you don't scratch it up while dremeling)
-mesh (steel or palstic)
-glue (I used crazy glue)
-heavey duty scisors (only if you're using steel mesh)

I got my steel mesh from a change holder I bought a few years ago, but you should be able to find something similar at your local hardware shop.

5.JPG

6.JPG

I used the scisors to cut the mesh to the size of the bay covers. If the mesh if thin enough the scisors will be much easier to use than a dremal IMO.

7.JPG

8.JPG

Unfortunately I didn't stop to take pics of the dremeling process but you've seen those kind of picks a million time. I basically just measured out the size of the pieces I wanted to cut out with a marker and then followed the lines with the dremel. The floppy portion was pretty hard to do because I was dealing with a pretty small area to work within. Just take your time and go slow. This was also the very first time I used a dremel, so if you have any experience with cutting you'll do fine.

I was really happy with the end product.

9.JPG

10.JPG

Because of the size limitation on the pics you might have a hard time seeing the finished bay covers..sorry

The end result of this little project was an overall drop in temps between 8 and 10 degrees

Summary
Total cost -- approx $30.00 for supplies ( I borrowed the Dremel)
time -- approx 3-4 hours. My first time using a dremel accounts for much of that..lol
Level of difficulty -- moderate.

Wow, that's a clever way of mounting a 120mm fan. I think I'll have to try something similiar with a 80mm fan for my HDD's. Nice work :)

I think im gonna do mine by taking out the back fan and using the rear hole to duct directly to the cpu fan... I think it will work...

very nice mod! I hate it when people cut up thier wavemasters...

deathBOB said:
very nice mod! I hate it when people cut up thier wavemasters...

You do what you gotta do. The thing doesn't have very good airflow at all therefore in order to do some even moderate OCing this mod gets the job done. I plan to do this mod when I get my Wavemaster as well as take out the top part that houses the USB ports and replace it with a 800mm or 120mm fan.

um, do you leave your door open all day? Because you'd have to.... Otherwise the mod is pointless because you'll block airflow :rolleyes:

potroast said:
um, do you leave your door open all day? Because you'd have to.... Otherwise the mod is pointless because you'll block airflow :rolleyes:

I knew someone was going to say that and I asked the guy that did the mod and he said quote:

Booradley said:
Having the door closed had very little effect on the temps, maybe a degree or two. I could really feel the fan pullin in air as well with very little additional noise.

Booradley said:
Having the door closed had very little effect on the temps, maybe a degree or two. I could really feel the fan pullin in air as well with very little additional noise.
If that is the case, then the use of mesh probably will not affect temps either... And if that were the case, I would do it w/o modifying the drive covers, because it looks hacked.

potroast said:
If that is the case, then the use of mesh probably will not affect temps either... And if that were the case, I would do it w/o modifying the drive covers, because it looks hacked.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the mesh makes it look nice. Well if I have one free drive space and want to add airflow then what do you suggest I do?

Have you tried running the PC with the door shut for over 30 minutes? I really doubt it would drop your temps 8 to 10 degrees. Even with the door open, thats almost hard to believe. Since there is no sealed duct, its basically just re-circulating hot air already inside your case. If the door was open, it might be possible, but i doubt it.

I have the Antec 1000AMG case which already does this... but pulls in fresh air.

Also, could be huge unbalance of flow. DUST CITY.

Lee Enfield said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the mesh makes it look nice. Well if I have one free drive space and want to add airflow then what do you suggest I do?
I don't mean the mesh itself looks hacked, but the rough lines make it look very hacked. Unless you can do a good straight lines without making it look "hacked" I don't like it.

dunno if that made sense or not over the net.

Well I thank all of you for your input on this mod. Appearantly it isn't all that it's cracked up to be. You made a good point about dust and that hot air is gets circulated, not completly out. With this in mind I will go with the Praetorian instead of the Wavemaster. I thought maybe a mod like this could help, but there is no hiding from the design flaw. There is not enough space in the front for the fans to pull enough cool air which makes this case very hot. That's it, I've given up on this case.

BTW: For those who may not understand, I was vague in my opening statement. I found this mod on another forum, but I do not own a wavemsater or have done it. I wanted to see what you guys thought about before I ordered a WM and did it. Thx again for the feedback.

thought i'd throw this in here:

casefanmod111.jpg

reason number 3283821 as to why the lian-li cases kick ass: 80mm fans fit perfectly in the floppy cage.

note: i just threw that in there real quick for the picture, and for whatever reason, i have insanely shaky hands. :(

HRslammR said:
thought i'd throw this in here:

http://home.no.net/afenost/uploads/casefanmod111.jpg[IMG]

reason number 3283821 as to why the lian-li cases kick ass: 80mm fans fit perfectly in the floppy cage.

note: i just threw that in there real quick for the picture, and for whatever reason, i have insanely shaky hands. :([/QUOTE]

holy crap you mad man, you modded 4 more red power LEDs in your system!

:p

potroast said:

Nope, it will at least help on circulating air. Especially around memories, etc where components usually don't get good flow despite heavy heat it can generate...

I thought cleaner way probably was to get that 5.25 -> 3.5" HDD bay thing from Lian-Li itself... believe it has 80mm fan to cool HDD :)

DaCoOlNeSs said:
holy crap you mad man, you modded 4 more red power LEDs in your system!

:p
needs to use a ruler next time... they're not very straight :eek:

Hello all

[Ch]ams was kind enough to let me know one of my mods was posted over here so I thought I would come by and thank Lee Enfield and everyone for the comments..so Thanks :)

I did this mod as a temperary solution for my terrible temps until I went to water cooling and it really did drop the temps 8-10 degrees depending on the day. Anyway, my case looks completely different now that I've gone to watercooling. I posted another little project I did over at the Mac PC forums, if you're interested check it out here. http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1117

Thanks again

Booradley said:
Hello all

[Ch]ams was kind enough to let me know one of my mods was posted over here so I thought I would come by and thank Lee Enfield and everyone for the comments..so Thanks :)

I did this mod as a temperary solution for my terrible temps until I went to water cooling and it really did drop the temps 8-10 degrees depending on the day. Anyway, my case looks completely different now that I've gone to watercooling. I posted another little project I did over at the Mac PC forums, if you're interested check it out here. http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1117

Thanks again

Just spreading some useful information. :cool:

Back