Best Defragger

Is it really any better than the one with XP? Or is this like RAID, where people "feel" its better :p

another vote for O&O Defrag Pro
Invaluable tool for optimizing, wouldnt want to be without it
I have it intgrated into the MMC and from the commandline as well
running version 4

saturnine2 said:
It gives you more options, lets you defrag based on date, filename, etc.

t. shuffle said:
I have never understood how either of those options would be valuable.

Complete Name > Using this convention it is possible for you to create directories that will comntain Program Groups closer to the OD (Outer Diameter) of the HDD platter where both the sustained transfer rate and the latency are better, alternately, aps or data that doesnt require a high sustained transfer or that are infrequently accessed can be placed in a directory closer to the ID of the platter (or partition) basically it extends the partition strategy into a single partition, my Adobe and AutoCAD directories being in a much better position than Video Directory (media doesnt require much if its read only)

Complete Date or Access > are primarilly for Database server use, though if you give some thought to it....
say you mount an NTFS Volume as a folder (we'll make it a logical partition\drive in the backend of the HDD in an extended partition) this partition simply holds email files or docs, none of them very big, so even with the lower density in the ID of the disk, the files are also smaller and the latency thus offset, organizing these by date is likely adventageous since your more likely to need to access those than older "storage", thus those files will be closer to the front of the partition, so that when accessed the armeture and head will have less distance to traverse and their position farther out from the ID will have better density and thus lower latency

(caveat, by placing those small and frequently access files as a mounted drive located at the back of the HDD, the arm would need to traverse far outside its "normal" OS partition with considerable ncreased latency, your best access is within any given partition, one of the reasons indexing can have a negative impact on HDD performance, so downloading and writing email as you recieve it by leaving your client open as opposed to checking your email a few times a day can act very similar to indexing, would have little impact for gebneral use, but if your Photoshopin or working on some other disk intensive access, it can be a performance loss)

to understand disk access optimizing its important to understand disks first
Id highly recommend the As the Hard Disc Spins series @ Lost Circuits and Partitioning Strategies @ Radified

Windows defrag, not in safe mode... Never had an issue, and when I come back to my workstation, it's all linear.

I have used Diskeeper for a long time, and then saw people recommending O&O. I gave it a shot, and it corrupted the data on 2 hard drives of mine. Since then, I have been back with Diskeeper and have since apologized to my Diskeeper CD for my unfaithfulness. I trust no other.

I switched from Diskeeper to O&O awhile back. Im happy and quite like it.

used O&O for over 4 years, and Ive never had it corrupt anything

Chelica said:
So Diskeeper is what you guys use. I should give that a try.

Strictly speaking, Windows' own defrag isn't Diskeeper, but more like Diskeeper Lite.

Big fan of O&O defrag here too..

They used to have a free version, not sure if it still is however..

Very powerful tool..

-scoob8000

after trying them all... Perfectdisk6 is the best.... diskkeeper basically sux. It causes more problems than it fixes. Speed disk will corrupt your drive. O&O is good... just SLOW!!!!!!!!!

Perfectdisk works great and is updated frequently. I have had zero problems with it. It also handles cluster sizes other than 4k or 512b. The others either doesnt work or has problems with other cluster sizes.

check it out.

www.raxco.com

unhappy_mage said:
i don't defrag. ext3/reiserfs don't need it ;)

it's not that ext3/reiserfs doesn't need it -- just that they don't support it with much of a success rate (if you like keeping your data's integrity). This is sometimes claimed as an "advantage" when it's really a disadvantage.

I use diskepper and haven't noticed any thing wrong yet. I'm gonna give the other 2 defraggers a try though. nice thread :)

O&O, Diskeeper, and Perfect Disk, are all good defrags
each slightly different, and each camp has their reasons why one is better than the other
why you might find one superior, has alot to do with how you employ those features

I outlined how I employ O&Os unique features, and why I value those
they could well go unused by someone else and count for nothing :p

thus, giving them all a spin is a real good idea ;)

features that most will have in common, and that kick the dog $h!t out of Windows is
concurrent defrag of multiple volumes
speed, automatic defrag at a set % of fragmentation for each partition
ability to defrag the locked files (Registry, pagefile, MFT ect) at boot

PS O&O has a Linux Version (Ext2 & Ext3) Beta which is free
http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodlinux/

I've come to prefer O&O but used Diskeeper before and both work great. I think that O&O seems to have a slight edge over Diskeeper with it's speed and thoroughness of defragmentation.

I use windows built in defrag now because O&O kept losing my system 32 folder. It happened twice. I have one raptor 74GB (boot drive) and a 250GB ide drive, plus one 120GB ata drive for linux.

wazoo42 said:
because O&O kept losing my system 32 folder.

see I dont get that, what where your advanced settings at?
You had it defragging the registry hive at boot? Was it on the SATA? (might be some sort of driver issue in that event)
Ive had O&O defraging the registry hive (system32\config) at boot for four year
on several different computers without loosing it once, but they where all PATA

and I actually have the formally for sale Beta of O&O BlueCon backup the hive at boot as well
(full or incremental, keep 20 > 30 copies just in case has come in very handy from time to time)
but not once because the defrag ate it

I used the default settings, and you are correct in saying that it always occurred when I was doing a boot time defrag of the hive files. My sata raptor was the one being defragged. I emailed O&O and they kept saying that I was crazy cuz their defragger uses microsofts tool in this case. However, losing the files not once but twice seems to me to be more than just a coincedence. Beats me. *shrugs* I would just be careful with sata and boot time defragging of the hive files.

I can defrag every day with Diskeeper and it's always 50% or higher. It whips through defrag in less than 5 minutes, and I have never noticed an increase in performance. Is it actually working? The program seems like absolute crap to me, if it can't even keep it straight for longer than 24 hours.

Back