17" BenQ 12ms, HP L2335 and Sony SDM-234B Comparison

DragonRR

n00b
Monitor 1: BenQ 17” LCD 767-12
Monitor 2: BenQ 17” LCD 783
Monitor 3: Sony 23” LCD SDM-P234B
Monitor 4: HP 23” LCD L2335
Monitor 5: Sony 20” CRT F520

Originally I had the Sony F520 CRT used for both work and games. I have a few other PC’s and changed these from CRTs to LCDs to save deskspace. Eventually I purchased BenQ 12ms screens for these computers. The F520 monitor has, for a CRT, excellent clarity and worked perfectly at my preferred work/desktop resolution of 1920x1440. However, the monitor was starting to show its age so, a couple of months ago after noticing the 23” Apple Cinema displays, I decided to start looking for reviews of 23” LCDs. The only place I could find any real wealth of information was in this forum.

My main criteria for the purchase were as follows:

Must have a high resolution as close to 1920x1440 as is feasible.
Must work well in lower resolutions for games.
Need the choice of how I want lower resolutions to display – stretched, 1:1 etc..
No ghosting/blurring or as close to that as possible.
Warranty, quality of the product, and number of likely faulty pixels.
The panel ideally would have the facility for component input.

After reading the long post on the HP L2335 I felt that I would take a gamble and buy one, it appeared to provide close to the resolution I wanted and it was fast. At the time I was still unsure about it because no-one had compared the HP to the 12ms BenQ displays and people’s opinions on the ghosting/blurring issue differed enormously. From my own experience – All current LCD monitors blur, most said that the HP blurred only slightly and some people insisted it didn’t blur at all!

I have written this “review” from my own subjective point of view with the intention to help others make a decision on purchasing, in particular, the HP L2335 or the Sony SDM-234 23” LCD screens. I hope it helps!

Ghosting/Blurring, colour and clarity:

The BenQ 767-12 and 783 both use the Auoptronics 12ms panel. The screens are extremely fast but I had, compared to the Sony F520 noticed blurring in virtually every application. In windows; if a window is moved around the screen the black text tends to thicken. Whilst this isn’t desperately important it is irritating! Considering the 12ms response time the thickening text surprised me. In games the blurring varies, examples:

Call of Duty – building against a blue sky – building edges ghosting is apparent although you get used to it, wall textures blur a little.

Command & Conquer Generals – Scrolling around maps is a little hard on the eyes, ground texture blurs and units shimmer. This particular issue makes spotting and recognising units more difficult when you move around a map. This affect can be seen on a CRT but you really have to look very hard for it.

Doom3. Lights against dark backgrounds blur a fair amount, Colour clarity “appears” far, far better than CRT. This, I suspect is actually an artefact of the dithering, Doom3 is actually easier to play and brighter on the BenQs than on a CRT or the 23” panels. You can’t seem to simulate the BenQ effect with a brightness or gamma increase.

The BenQ dithers colour from its pallet. In most situations this is fine although transparent windows and shadows could look better. Not great for graphic artists.

No game I have tried is as good as a CRT but you do get used to the minor blurring/ghosting.

Viewing angles. The BenQs are viewable from almost all angles but, vertically the viewing angle is poor, losing/changing colour with small head movements.

Clarity is superb on both BenQs although the 783 is a tad better than the 767 using the DVI cable (the 767 doesn’t have DVI).

The HP L2335 using the LG/Philips panel:

Windows: Very, VERY minor text thickening, almost as good as my F520.

COD: A little better than the BenQ, very minor blurring almost, but not quite, unnoticeable. More apparent when turning quickly.

C&CG: Again better than the BenQs, ground blur when scrolling, units blur/shimmer, noticeable but quickly forgotten.

Doom3: Lights seem to blur more than the BenQ, colour on a par with the F520, not as good as the BenQs simply because of the dithering issue.

Colour generally is better than the BenQs, no dithering. Better in Windows than the CRT although all shades are not visible. For example grey 250,250,250 is just visible, 251,251,251 is barely visible – more of an impression that its there! 252,252,252 up to 254,254,254 are shown as white. Note: I haven’t tested this thoroughly – brightness set to about 60. On the CRT all shades were more or less visible without making any brightness changes. I guess this isn’t exactly the perfect situation for graphic artists but it’s not too shabby either. Viewing angles, from very obtuse angles the HP isn’t as good as the BenQ but from more acute angles the HP is better. The corners of the HP when viewed from dead centre are darker but you don’t really notice this issue much in general use.

Clarity – as good as the BenQs, much better than the CRT.

The Sony appears to be more or less identical to the HP in this area. The only real difference is that there is a slightly different default look to the colour in Windows the Sony being a little more blue imo.

Build, features and quality:

767-12 – Generally quite impressed with the build, plastic seems quite dense, slightly creaky around the bezel. No faulty pixels. Built in speakers are OK. The front adjustment buttons are OK, but not great, in operation. The front power button has a cool blue LED behind it and looks good. The power button has a much better, positive, feel to it. No height adjustment, swivel or rotate, tilt mechanism feels solid. Only a Dsub input on this model. There is a gesture towards a cable tidy at the back of the monitor’s base, it’s better than nothing.

783 – Better looking design imho, bezel appears to be thinner but actually isn’t! Construction quality is even better, more solid. Having the buttons on the side is a nuisance. The webcam is OK. Having USB sockets is useful, their location on the side just behind the bezel means that although they are easy to get to also means that whatever you put in them is visible. The detachable speakers are OK but the monitor looks better without them. No faulty pixels. All the buttons feel quite solid. No height adjustment, swivel or rotate, tilt mechanism feels solid – slight improvement over the 767. The cable tidy is quite good on this screen but only tidies the cables to the bottom of the screen itself due, I presume, to the frog foot design of the base.

HP L2335. I’m on my second one. The first arrived with a starfield of faulty pixels, over 200. The base on the first had very slight scuff marks which virtually vanished with a little rubbing. The second screen arrived with a damaged base. Needless to say the two bases were swapped when the replacement arrived. Fortunately there were no faulty pixels on the second screen. Generally the base is pretty strong but a little plasticky. The monitor’s bezel appears to be made from relatively thin plastic and has a creaky feel to it all round. The ability to rotate the monitor to a vertical position isn’t a great deal of use to me but I’m sure others would appreciate it. The height adjustment is more useful to me personally and the action is quite smooth. The swivel feature is smooth, as is the tilt, it’s just a shame that the bezel creaks whenever you move the screen so the overall feel of the screen is simply not as good as the BenQs. Imo the monitor doesn’t look quite as good as the BenQs either. The buttons make a loud click when pressed, it’s OK but they could sound a little better. Again I think this is an artefact of the overall bezel quality. After reading other users comments of the HP I wasn’t too surprised that I had scuffs on the base and I wasn’t too surprised that I initially had faulty pixels. I am generally a little disappointed with the overall quality of construction. In my opinion the monitor has a functional but not particularly stylish look to it. The monitor has component video in which I use for consoles and might use for other devices in the future, the component connectors are hidden behind a VERY plasticky door which is difficult to remove. There is no USB hub on this monitor. There is no cable tidying at all on the screen or base.

Sony SDM-234. This monitor arrived in perfect condition, the base is brushed steel and feels very solid. The bezel is solid and I personally prefer the black to the silver of the HP. The monitor has no rotate facility or height adjustment. The swivel feature operates from the brushed steel base itself and works very well. The tilt feature is smooth. The buttons are touch sensitive and light up when you press them – excellent design and the button area is barely visible when not lit. The Sony logo lights up when the monitor is on, it looks great but is a little too bright from my point of view (you can turn it off from the menu). The build quality is first rate and is at least as good as the BenQ 783. The base and screen cable tidies are a little cramped but generally good. The base cover is a little bit flimsy but seems to snap back into place fine. The screen tidy is a vertically sliding panel which is pretty solidly constructed. I found no faulty pixels. There is no USB hub. No sound, there is an audio pass thru but it appears not to work! There is no component input which is a serious omission for me. There doesn’t appear to be any monitor menu adjustment for how the screen will display, 1:1, stretched to fit aspect etc., when the DVI cable is used.

Conclusion:

I did have some problems getting either monitor to run exactly the way I intended, for example I initially couldn’t get widescreen modes like 1600x900 to work. I have, more or less, now resolved these issues with new drivers and selecting the correct driver LCD panel configuration along with a 1:1 selection on the monitors themselves. I didn’t want to have forced widescreen so that a 1280x1024 image was stretched to fit the width but had concerns that I would end up with a square box. In the end 1280x1024 maintains the correct aspect ratio and fills the screen vertically with black bars down the left and the right and that don’t really bother me.

I can recommend any of these monitors to a person wanting to play game although for some reason that 23” 16ms panels seem to be generally better than the 12ms BenQ panels. I wouldn’t recommend either BenQ to a graphic artist but would recommend the 23” screens to most. The pros of all of these LCD screens, especially the 23 inchers, for me, far outweigh the cons. More deskspace, far better look, far better clarity, better colour (with DVI) generally. The ghosting is fairly quickly forgotten imo. The pixel issue is really annoying for me and everyone else, the manufacturers really need to remove this final obstacle although I would have to say that even the first HP starfield wasn’t very noticeable on anything other than a static blue screen.

The difference in speed between the BenQ displays and the 16ms displays is something of a mystery. In particular the text thickening issue is odd. I have wondered if it might have more to do with the size of the physical pixels than the rise/fall rate.

I needed the component input facility on the HP. When I purchased the HP the Sony hadn’t quite appeared on the market. Whilst I would make the same purchase again even now I would probably not purchase the HP over the Sony if I hadn’t have needed component input, although I have yet to check just how well the graphics card drivers themselves will let me fiddle with aspect ratios. The construction quality, and the feel of the Sony is superior to the HP and I suppose the fact that the initial HP was faulty hasn’t helped it case much!

Between the HP and the Sony, has a few features missing that I would have liked but in the end, in my opinion, it looks better than the HP, the controls are MUCH nicer and the quality is better.

Update 20-1-2005
Changed the 767-12 to the new "8ms" FP71E+
Nice screen although I preferred the design of the 767-12 really. The difference in ghosting is noticeable but not significant. 8ms STILL ghosts but only when you look for it.

After reading all the comments about the DELL 2005FPW I thought I'd better recheck for backlight issues on all the screens:
1. HP L2335 - Quite a surprise - in a dark room there's very noticable clouding/backlight issues although not as bad as some of Dell 2005 pics. Wish I'd never looked! No dead pixels. Probably won't return it since I doubt I'd get a perfect replacement and if I hadn't turned the lights out I might not have noticed the issue at all.
2. Sony 23" - No backlight issues whatsoever, no dead pixels.
3. BenQs (783 & FP71E+) neither have any dead pixels. Backlighting is better on the 71E+ but isn't poor on the 783. The 783 exibits bleeding at the top & bottom edges.

Excellent reviews! :cool:

There should really be a sticky thread on this forum with these kind of mini reviews, so that reviews are grouped in the same thread. A reference review would be great so that everyone could write similiar reviews for easy comparison. This thread should only include reviews and to comment you would have to start a new thread.

Thanks for your comments!

I felt I owed a bit of a debt to the forum, since careful reading enabled me to get, initally the correct monitor which could have been a rather expensive lemon!

how are you gonna be keeping both the Sony and HP?

I mean between the two, which do you think has better picture quality etc?

In his review he said the HP and Sony looked pretty much the same. Considering they use the exact same panel, this should not be much of a surprise. Even though the Sony is a good $200 more, I will most likely be going with it for the following reasons: Thinner bezel, black bezel instead of silver, better build quality, better look (subjective), better warranty and the Sony does not seem to have as many dead pixel/other issues.

I am keeping both screens. I got the second one to replace my wife's 17" BenQ. I did initially tell her that I'd only put the Sony there as a temporary measure :D She wasn't overly impressed and since I haven't really figured out a way of doing Component thru VGA properly (I can do it with an XSelect-D4 quite well but not 100%) I will have to stick with the HP anyway! She's now happy, well happy(er) anyway :rolleyes:

Picture quality is pretty much identical between the two screens. The default setup for the Sony is darker than the HP and at first I thought the HP was better. After adjusting the Sony - they are identical.... as you would expect since they both use the LG-Philips panel.

I did have a conclusion to my intial review that the Sony was a better screen overall. I dropped it after realising that overall for myself, in particular, it just isn't. It doesn't have component in and it doesn't let me adjust the aspect ratio. For most people, however, who don't need component and don't care too much about being forced (potentially) into squashed aspects, the Sony is the better purchase.

Wow, you owned all 5 monitors at some point?? I want your job... :p Thanks for posting your impressions, they were quite thorough which is awesome. You mention that the Sony has no method for selecting from the monitor menu how the signal is displayed when using DVI, is it possible to do it at all?

The graphics card driver lets you decide, when using DVI, how to display the image. In fact my 6800 (kind of) ignores what I've set the monitor to on the HPL2335 and outputs 1900x1200 regardless of what I do!!! It does all the expanding, filling to vertical, expanding horizontally etc. on it own. I just feel that having the ability to change the ratios etc.. has gotta be a good thing! It also lets me adjust things when using the Xbox I've plugged into the component in. I do know that the X800XT & 9800XT work in a very similar way, slightly different methods.

The Nvidia driver is nice because it lets you enter manual resolutions like 1600x900. With the Radeons you sometimes need powerstrip or whatever.

*hm* Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but it seems that the Sony is able to preserve the aspect ratio by setting the zoom from the menu. If you check this thread in post 141 Jerry mentions watching 4:3 anime on his. If you check the monitor's manual on page 16 it tells you how to do it - it also doesn't say anything about this feature not working with a DVI cable, which you mentioned you were using.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm looking at buying one of these monitors myself and the ability to set the zoom level from the monitor is a big plus to me so if it doesn't work in some cases I wanna hear about it. :)

Clank said:
*hm* Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but it seems that the Sony is able to preserve the aspect ratio by setting the zoom from the menu. If you check this thread in post 141 Jerry mentions watching 4:3 anime on his. If you check the monitor's manual on page 16 it tells you how to do it - it also doesn't say anything about this feature not working with a DVI cable, which you mentioned you were using.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm looking at buying one of these monitors myself and the ability to set the zoom level from the monitor is a big plus to me so if it doesn't work in some cases I wanna hear about it. :)
You can have fixed aspect ratio scaling on this monitor. To set it via the monitor is as you said on the sony manual page 16 link. Via the graphics card, I'm not sure on ATI but all the recent nvidia drivers you can choose:
- Display adapter scaling (graphics card scales all output to 1920x1200)
- Centered output (displays the selected resolution in the centre of the screen, so 1024x768 will be 1024x768 pixels on in the middle of the screen)
- Monitor scaling (outputs the selected resolution, and allows you to use the monitor to set it to scale it across the screen)
- Fixed aspect ratio scaling (graphics card expands the image to fill the size of the screen whilst staying in the correct aspect ratio. So all the usual 4:3 resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 etc) will fill the height of the screen and have black borders to the left and right to maintain the 4:3 ratio of the image.)

Just out of curiosity, when you tested your BenQ monitors what refresh rate did you choose? I find that a refresh rate of 75hz blurs less than 60hz when using dvi.

Clank, you are quite right. The zoom is greyed out in 1920x1200 so I "assumed" that it was caused by the use of the DVI connection. Wrong, as Onering suggests, you can change it but only when in another lower resolution. Just hadn't noticed. Thanks for pointing it out to both you guys. The manual actually says that it doesn't work in 1920x1200 at the bottom of P16. Apologies to anyone I might have misled. My ummm excuse is that the HP L2335 does let you do this at any resolution it just doesn't have any effect at 1920x1200.

Onering, actually I have found with the latest Nvidia on the 6800Ultra that whilst changing the "Digital Flat Panel" settings has an affect on how the aspect ratio is shown it still appears to output 1920x1200, or at least that's what the monitor reports. Maybe you can shed some light on this because I would prefer it to let the monitor do its job in the case of the HP at any rate.

Johnked24, I've tried the BenQs at both refresh rates. I can't honestly say I've noticed any real difference. I guess in theory it shouldn't really matter but maybe it does. I don't use either of the BenQs as primary monitors anymore, my wife, who used the 767-12 now has the Sony, and she doesn' and didn't really play games. The 767-12 is now used elsewhere and the 783 is on a Shuttle (not the space variety!).

Actually now I think about it I'm not so sure I've even checked on the 783. Might have a go tomorrow.

What drivers are you using? I am currently using 66.81's, but I know it worked with 61.77's as well.
Get 66.81s here: ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/66.81/66.81_win2kxp_english.exe

On the desktop right click and goto properties, then goto the settings tab.
Press advanced.
Choose the tab with the name of your graphics card (like Geforce 6800 Ultra)
On the left choose nView Display Settings.
There should be a picture of a monitor on the right. Select the LCD one and press Device Settings > Device Adjustments...
[NB. the nView display settings tab may show two monitors if you use two! Choose the right one. And it could be that the monitor(s) have their names listed if you have the monitor drivers installed as well!]
Here you can choose centered output or fixed aspect ratio... I think that's what you are looking for. I can't see much difference with the way display adapter scaling and monitor scaling outputs...

I think you are looking for centered output.. and then using your monitor to choose whether or not to expand the image. Try it and let me know how it works out.

Now I just gotta wait for my RMA to come thru and then I decide if I should get another 234b or not!

Well,

Odd, we are using the same drivers. I don't get "Nview Display Settings" I get "Digital Flat Panel Settings" Anyway as mentioned no matter what I put the card outputs 1920x1200 but in a way that I get the desired effect it just isn't how I would prefer things to happen!

Example:
Set to "Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling" this is the setting I actually use.

1920x1200 - Fine - Whole screen filled
1600x900 - Fine - small bar at top & bottom, filled left to right.
1600x1200 - 4:3 Image - bars left & right filled top to bottom
1280x1024 - Filled correctly top to bottom, true 4:3
Everything LOOKS fine...
etc..
All OK so whats my problem!?

Well in all cases my graphics card is doing the work not my screen. I know this because the screen tells me that its running @ 1920x1200 not matter what resolution I set and with the Xbox it says 672x451 or whatever, the same DID apply with an earlier Nvidia driver i.e. 1280x1024 said 1280x1024 not 1920x1024 which LOOKS like 1280x1024. It matters, or should I say, it MAY matter because:
1. Apparently the monitor is better at scaling than the graphics card.
2. There MIGHT be an overhead....
I've run 3DMark2005 & stuff & I get roughly the correct figures but you never know do you!

The only complaint other than the above is that "sometimes" I appear to get anomalies with how the driver/card decides to display certain modes....

To be honest I "half" care about this issue. Maybe the next drivers will correct it, maybe I could override with Powerstrip but at the end of the day the world isn't over :)

Sorry to hear about your issues with the Sony, looks like I've been pretty fortunate!

Heh, the 4:3 anime was the work of Windows Media Player preserving the aspect ratio while maxing out the size. I just played a fun little game called Starscape last night that runs at a max of 600x800 and I scaled it up to full screen while preserving the aspect ratio using the zoom function on the monitor and it looked great.

I'm surprised to hear about the audio pass through not working - I haven't tried it yet on mine. I imagine it's set up so that the audio input changes along with your video input? I haven't checked out this feature really, but it does seem like a nice solution so you'd only need a switch for your keyboard/mouse if you're running multiple computers off of this...

Jerry,

There's only one audio input (3.5mm jack) on the Sony so you can only use one audio source. Unless I'm missing something fundamental!

Update:

Had a problem with the Sony P234. Now when switched on from cold I get a very high pitched wobbling noise from the screen. Quite loud at first and fades to almost zero after half an hour or so. I've put another post on the boards asking for help with this because other than the noise the screen still has no faulty pixels or backlight issues so I REALLY don't want to return it.

Had a look at another (new) P234B a few days ago. 2 faulty sub-pixels and slight backlight bleeding at the top right. No noise!

I was quite suprised to note that my HP L2335 makes a very quiet noise if you listen to the back when its on but its nothing compared to the noise from the Sony.

Update:

Well the noise from the Sony turned out to be a known issue. Sony took SIX WEEKS to repair the monitor, the only upside being that it came back working and undamaged. Sony UK do NOT provide a replacement screen but offered to loan me a CRT or lower spec LCD.

Since then - I have replaced the BenQ screens with a Dell 2405 FPW and a Dell 2005FPW.

Heres some updated comparison information:

2005FPW
As many people have reported the 2005FPW has backlight issues. The one I have isnt severe but it isnt good either. There is noticable cloudiness and the top left of the screen has a halo effect. The monitor has no visible bad pixels or sub -pixels. The construction quality of the monitor is poor, part of the silver edge has a hump in it.. The plastic used is as good as the HP and BenQs but not on a par with the Sony. Blurring in games is minimal.

2405FPW
I replaced the HPL2335 as my primary monitor with this. The extra inch (23-24) is noticeable and the monitor just feels bigger. No faulty pixels or sub pixels. In a dark room the screen is slightly more cloudy than the HP L2335 and overall I would say that the black isnt as black as either the HP or the Sony but the difference is small. Blurring in games in on a par with the HP and the Sony. I use the component inputs for connection to an Xbox and it appears to work flawlessly.

General thoughts:
Out of all the screens the Sony still stands out as having the best build quality, looks the best, best controls (touch) no cloudiness at all, no faulty pixels. BUT! Sony support has, so far, proven to be the worst - a six week delay is just not acceptable in a 6 month old product in my opinion. The Sony also lacks the component input I personally need.

As I mentioned the 2005FPW has backlight issues and this for me makes it disappointing. The price is great and on that basis I would not say don't buy it. Just be aware that it could be better than it is.

If I was to have to purchase another one of these screens I would purchase the Dell 2405. At the time I bought it it was considerably cheaper than the others and its an inch bigger. I see now that the UK price has gone up and if I didn't need component input and I hadn't have experienced the Sony support issues I might be swayed to the Sony.

Back