Gale's Home Theater

GaleForce

Gawd
Thought I'd make a thread for it since others were. Hope you guys don't mind. :)

Here's a list of everything;

Pioneer Plasma (dunno model, I'll look later)
Pioneer DVL-919 LD/DVD Player Combo
2x Sony CDP-CX400 400 CD Changers
Escient TuneBase Pro MK-II (categorizes CDs with art, track lists, etc)
RCA HDTV Digital Reciever
Sony Digital Satelite Reciever/Recorder SAT-160 (aka TIVO)
Dual CS5000 (record player)
Niles IPC-12 Intelligent Power Control System
Denon DVM-4500 5 DVD Changer
Mitsubishi HS-U795 VCR (dunno why, don't ask)
Denon AVR-5800
Sony DHG-M55CV Digital Cable Box
Crestron CNMSX-PRO (computer which controls whole system)
Crestron 2 way RF gateway
KEF Reference Series Towers (don't know model, sorry)
KEF Center Channel (again, don't know model)
Velodyne Subwoofer (don't know model)
3x B&W satellites (don't know model again )
Crestron STX-1550C (color touch screen remote)

I don't know the cables, amps, and that kinda stuff. Thats all in the area behind the system and I didn't check it out, sorry. If you want I can go look.

For the rest of the house;

7x Sony STR-DE135 Recievers
2x Niles Speakers in garage (mounted to upper wall)
2x Unknown Speakers in laundry room (cieling)
2x Unknown Speakers in living room (cieling)
2x Unknown Speakers in kitchen (cieling)
2x B&W (I believe so) Speakers in Master Bedroom (cieling)
2x Unknown Speakers in Master Bathroom (cieling, 1 in shower I think) (didn't get a chance to look, was in use )
2x JBL Towers (Model L112, old but good) in loft
2x Unknown Speakers out on deck (its cold out so I didn't check, guessing Niles, mounted to house)
6x Crestron Color Touch Screens (wall mounted)
-1x for laundry room/garage
-1x for kitchen/living room
-1x for deck
-1x for master bedroom
-1x for master bathroom
-1x for loft

And here are the shitty pics I need to retake;

First picture is our plasma and our "mantle" design equipment area. Yeah, they generate a lot of heat. You can also see a bit of my dad's guitar and some of our DVD collection in this pic.

system1.jpg

Next pic is a closeup of the equipment.

system2.jpg

Pic of B&W satelltie speaker. We have 3 in the ceiling for 6.1.

system3.jpg

After we put everything together we had Crestron engineers design a computer system and program a remote to control all of it.

system4.jpg

Pic of the DSS page.

system5.jpg

More guitars and Fender Tube Amp.

system6.jpg

Crestron touch screens in each room. We have speakers in each room so we can listen to anything from the CD changers or anything else in the system in any room.

system7.jpg

Pic of the main menu.

system8.jpg

Horrible pic of the CD jukebox menu.

system9.jpg

Horrible blurry pic of the rest of the room.

system10.jpg

Recievers.

recievers.jpg

Sorry for the pic quality. Took them quickly and I don't have the steadiest of hands.

A hearty "good job" to you and your dad. I could easily settle into a setup like that.

Hehe, it looks like the TV is about to fall over the edge, Nice though that its angled for viewing as opposed to just being another picture on the wall (imho).

All those Sony recievers????? Jeez. What're they for, exactly? Are you using them for powering the speakers, or just for their tuners? I would assume that this is the cost-effective solution to a multi-zone system, correct?

Well, one thing I will DEFINITELY commend you on is your use of Crestron intelligent control systems. I install these on a regular basis and they're TRULY second-to-none. Far, far better than anything else out there, like B&K, Integra, Elan, etc. Does your CNMSX-PRO come with the 12v triggers and doorbell mute? Some very, VERY handy items that're complimentary to a whole-house audio system. Only thing you gotta be willing to learn is Macro programming. Other than that, it's a cake-walk! ;)

As far as in-wall/in-ceilings go, Stick with B&W, or even TruAudio (droooool) STAY AWAY from Niles crap. All your paying for is overpriced R&D recovery. I saw alotta sweet stuff @ CEDIA Expo in Indy 2 months ago. The home-theater market is certianly on the rise, and I'm lucky to be working in this particular field. :)

We only got the Crestron to control the Den, nothing else really (would have been nice if we went for lights/blinds control too). We needed all the recievers at the time for each zone. But back then radio was part of the picture so we couldn't go with a big mother of a reciever with multiple channels. We got a reciever for each zone isntead and got the tuner for each one. Not exactly cost effective now since radio doesn't matter much, but it was our only choice before.

Yeah I love how the TV works. It pulls out up to 3 feet and can swivel 180 degrees. I'm still nervous when I pull it out, I hope its bolted on good. :eek:

BTW, we got the Niles speakers for the rooms that really don't need top of the line audio, such as the garage and deck. Dunno what the other stuff is, grills don't say anything. Might be niles. They don't sound bad though.

royjr said:
As far as in-wall/in-ceilings go, Stick with B&W, or even TruAudio (droooool) STAY AWAY from Niles crap. All your paying for is overpriced R&D recovery.

While TruAudio do make decent speakers they are far from the epitomy of high end in-wall/ceiling speakers. They happen to have one of the highest margin rates of any speakers period just fyi.

Bighitter said:
While TruAudio do make decent speakers they are far from the epitomy of high end in-wall/ceiling speakers.

Well that's certianly a given. While you have other companies like Atlantic Technologies, Boston Acoustics, Core, Arena, Speco, even Klipsch (amung many, many others) marketing in-wall/in-ceiling solutions, it's tough to say who's reigning right now. But, based upon my experience, I've seen TruAudio go out the door time and time again over all other brands. Namingly, their CF-series (carbon-fiber) and CP-series (polycarbonate) of speakers.
When I calibrate a customer's home (with Sencore's SP295), I'ver gotten unmatched SNR @ 74dB over any other in-wall/ceiling.

Most of all, their customer satisfaction is excellent. Even if *ahem* an installer drops a speaker from a 15 ft vaulted ceiling, under the false inclination that it was fastened properly. :p (Thank God the customer wasn't home) hehe

HAHA can't say I have ever seen anything like that happen in the trade... no never, Honest! ;)

We recently did a theater for customer entirely out of CP-6's and it did sound quite good. I am not putting TruAudio down just that there are others I would probably put ahead of them depending on budget.

How much was your Denon AVR-5800? My dad has some Denon AVR, and that thing is a damn beast! I know he paid probably $2000+ on it, maybe more. Soooooo sweet.

Nice to see someone has taste in speakers... Kef... mmm... I have two pair of Kef speakers. A pair of Kef Kit 103 reference and a pari of Kef C30's.. both oldies but damn fine speakers. B&W are my second choice...

Yeah those Kefs are AWESOME. Never heard of them until I started getting into audio and the like. My dad has had the Kefs since I was born... he bought them when we lived in our old house, used them in our last house, and uses them now. He swears by them.

Nice!! Totally missed the Kef's. I am putting Q series kefs in my theater until I can afford some QX or Ref's. Very nice system over all btw.

Ref series for HT?!!!!!!!! :eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO dont do it.... Such a waste. It was a sad day Kef started using their reference series in HT to be honest. Kef are owned by a japanese company now. :(

Better off investing in some early 90's era stuff for some of the best Kef speakers.... English made..... of course.....

http://www.kef.com/history/1990_1/refeence/Reffour.htm

are the most beautiful speakers ever made....... a flat resonse will make ur chair vibrate yet you can hear a pin drop at the same time out the tweeters.

I was trying to find the model our Kefs are but no luck. I know they are reference series and at least 10 years old, if that narrows it down any.

Back