Prescott stepping

nikoq

n00b
Hi all,

I am going to buy a 478 pin PPGA 3.2 Prescott,
I found out that there are CO, DO, EO stepping processors.

Is there any difference?
Which is the better?

Thanks

E-0 was supposed to have fixed a lot of the power leakage issues with Prescott but I don't think it quite worked out as well as INTC though it would (hence the reason there's suddenly no 4GHz P4 on the roadmap). If I was buying a Prescott I'd be looking for E-0, they were supposed to start appearing from 1st October onwards so you may be able to find them already. Here's the info from the PCN.......

Description of Change to the Customer

Desktop Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor on the 90nm Process Technology will undergo the following changes for the D-0 to the E-0 core processor stepping change:

• The conversion to E-0 Step will incorporate power optimizations to enable speed enhancements
• Includes Execute Disable Bit support and additional power management features
(LGA775 only)
• The CPU ID will change from 0xF34h to 0xF41h
• Updated BIOS required
• E-0 is pin compatible with D-0
• Data Sheet available July 14, 2004
• New S-Specs for affected product line items
• Customer samples will be provided. Customer qualification required

Desktop Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor – mPGA478

3.40 GHz 800 FSB SL7PP
3.20 GHz 800 FSB SL7PN
3.00 GHz 800 FSB SL7PM
2.80 GHz 800 FSB SL7PL
2.80 GHz 533 FSB SL7PK

Desktop Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor – LGA775 with EM64T

3.60 GHz 800 FSB SL7NZ
3.40 GHz 800 FSB SL7PZ
3.20 GHz 800 FSB SL7PX

coz said:
If I was buying a Prescott I'd be looking for E-0, they were supposed to start appearing from 1st October onwards so you may be able to find them already.
I thought they were coming 10-29, but maybe that's just the 478's. :confused:

coz said:
Desktop Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor – mPGA478

3.40 GHz 800 FSB SL7PP
3.20 GHz 800 FSB SL7PN
3.00 GHz 800 FSB SL7PM
2.80 GHz 800 FSB SL7PL
2.80 GHz 533 FSB SL7PK

My question is how do you go about making sure you get the right stepping you want from an internet vendor? Is there any retailer you would suggest using?

PsycoGeek said:
My question is how do you go about making sure you get the right stepping you want from an internet vendor? Is there any retailer you would suggest using?
I think some vendors can pick specific S-code parts for you, for a small price premium too probably. You'll have to ask around for which vendors in the US do that though.

Seems I may have answered my own question (through a little bit of reasearch). Thing is I can only find an E0's in OEM. Would you suggest OEM or Retail?

BTW, the only E0's I found retail were PLGA775.

Newegg lists the model#, which you can cross-reference here after you find the stepping you want. I guess if it isn't right after you get it, you can send it back...

PsycoGeek said:
Seems I may have answered my own question (through a little bit of reasearch). Thing is I can only find an E0's in OEM. Would you suggest OEM or Retail?

BTW, the only E0's I found retail were PLGA775.

Newegg lists the model#, which you can cross-reference here after you find the stepping you want. I guess if it isn't right after you get it, you can send it back...

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find E0 LGA775 P4's for sale online in the U.S.?

DanIdentity said:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find E0 LGA775 P4's for sale online in the U.S.?

I didn't. I meant that I could only find E0's in 478 OEM, not 478 Retail.

-edit- I also meant that on Intel's website (the link above) they the E0 steppings that are retail are LGA775. All of the E0's in 478 are OEM.

Update... I haven't found squat. Found out thet the model numbers do not directly correspond to the stepping and sSpec code.

Back