1.3 FarCry patch and 6800GT with 66.81 drivers

Brent_Justice

anyone getting "hitching" with their 6800GT with the FarCry 1.3 patch?

i'm using driver 66.81 and getting mad hitching in the game, especially with muzzle flashes and blowing up explosive containers, and generally througout the Fort level random hitching

Actually I'm getting slight hiccuping on some of my gun shots as well... I got this in 1.2 too, but I had hoped they would have fixed it by 1.3 :mad:

Ah well, HL2 is only 22 days away :D

6800GTOwned said:
Actually I'm getting slight hiccuping one some of my gun shots as well... I got this in 1.2 too, but I had hoped they would have fixed it by 1.3 :mad:

Ah well, HL2 is only 22 days away :D

i'm getting the hiccups with gun shots, muzzle flashes, exploding containers and when a bunch of particle effects come into the screen at one time

it can't be a texture memory problem cause this card has 256MB of local RAM and it's running on a PCI-E 16X bus

and it didn't happen with patch 1.1

Hmm, I'm getting it with some muzzle flashes/gun shots, and on some canister explosions but not on others... it's kinda wierd :confused:

Yes I am I thought it was from something running in the background. It doesn't happen every time but it happens when you fire any gun. I am using 66.81.

anyone else notice when you stand in direct sunlight your skin glows like you just walked threw a million rad quarintine area?

Brent_Justice said:
anyone getting "hitching" with their 6800GT with the FarCry 1.3 patch?

i'm using driver 66.81 and getting mad hitching in the game, especially with muzzle flashes and blowing up explosive containers, and generally througout the Fort level random hitching

go back to 66.70 or 66.72.. fixed it for me

With my 6800nu im getting stuttering too-- when firing a gun or stuff like that.

running 61.77 drivers

aZn_plyR said:
go back to 66.70 or 66.72.. fixed it for me

Not for me. I just installed 66.70 and the image quality is worse and the hitching in places is still there. for example on the first load up screen for fort level in the tanker when the guy first see's you. That part hitches, maybe a little less but it's still there and the image quality sux.

I installed the 1.3 patch last night and tested it out. I immediately noticed the hitching and some levels have come to a crawl when with the 1.1 patch ran fluid with no problems. I am using the 66.81 drivers and have not had a chance to try any other ones out yet.

I was playing this Quake III mod; Urban Terror, and in one of the patches, it would lag my system horribly, whenever me (or other players) fired. The more, the worse... If anything, this is a software issue, and was fixed in the next patch.

old 61.77's don't hitch, lol. Perfromance is noticeably down though in FC and Warhammer 40K. I'm going back to the latest WHQL and uninstalling FC. I think the HDR stuff makes the outside scenes look like crap for the most part with it's high contrast on the sand ect. It's a cool gimmick for screenshots but that's it as it stands right now. If they could make it work just on light areas that would be cool, but it changes evertyhing.

I get no hitching though the gunshot sound is always half a second late from when I actually fire the gun [annoying but bearable]. Try disabling fast writes.

oozish said:
old 61.77's don't hitch, lol. Perfromance is noticeably down though in FC and Warhammer 40K. I'm going back to the latest WHQL and uninstalling FC. I think the HDR stuff makes the outside scenes look like crap for the most part with it's high contrast on the sand ect. It's a cool gimmick for screenshots but that's it as it stands right now. If they could make it work just on light areas that would be cool, but it changes evertyhing.

might want to try messing with the hdr variables in this post to get an effect you like better:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026784316&postcount=89

I was getting hiccups, but a meager OC GT from 350>39mhz1, 1.0>1.1ghz and 2.8>3.15ghz solved the problem, none now. An easy test is to use the cry vision, if youdon't experience anything, it should be safe. Like me, if not then OC until its safe(no hiccups when changing night vision, normal vision).

I am running 66.72 drivers and i have hitching as well. I haven't tested it much without the HDR though, it is so pretty. So that may be why it is hitching...but yeah, right when i fire my gun.

U know, come to think of it, it wouldn't be too surprsing if it were a sound problem, because as soon as you fire a weapon or see an enemy, there is a new sound, whatever it may be.

Anyone here with a nice (not-onboard) sound card getting hitching? Since the sound is not run by your CPU, maybe you have had better luck. Just a theory...

Yes I'm getting the same issue as you guys. Funny thing is I can fire my weapon hear the bullet hit and then see the muzzle flash and gun shot. LOL... It's like they are happening in the wrong order. LOL

I'm running the 65.73 drivers and I don't seem to have any 'hitches'. I can tell the game isn't as fast as without HDR, but it still runs well. I'm only using 1024x768 though.

I have a 6800 oc. Running Farcry at 1024x768 all settings on Very high. 4xaa.

Looks gorgeous no hitching. And I use an audigy2 zs gamer soundcard.

This is my full pc specs.

Athlonxp 2600+
1gig Ddr400 ram
western digital 160 gig special edition ultra ata 100 hard drive
asus nvidia force based motherboard the a7n8x motherboard
Mx-laser wireless logitech mouse acceleration set to medium

Running version 65 drivers of forceware.

The 68 drivers gave me hitching issues in sacred. And I went back to 65 and saw no more problems and thats what I Am using with 1.3

Winxp pro with service pack 2.

emailthatguy said:
everyone here running sp2? you might have DEP causing some problems

DEP wouldn't cause hitching, it would kill the game outright if there were any problems.

it looks like this problem is only happening for people using 66.xx driver versions...

hopefully this can be fixed in a future version

My hitching goes away when very high quality settings are dropped to high. Another quality patch from Crytech.

KENNYB said:
My hitching goes away when very high quality settings are dropped to high. Another quality patch from Crytech.

when you drop the Lighting Quality from Very High to High you jump down to Pixel and Vertex Shader 1.1

Running BFG 6800 Ultra OC with 66.31 and I also get this second pause.. Basically what Brent described in his write up is the same when I get these "hicups".

I played and beat FC using a 9800 NP OC to Pro and never had this issue.

Since then I have reformatted my HD for the 6800 install, glad its not just me and perhaps crytech will fix this issue..

On another note I also get these hiccups on EQII beta which uses SM3.0 but this game also uses a ton of memory about 700+ megs and there is some page swapping even with my 1gig of ram and this is prolly the problem, at least I hope.

[BB] Rick James said:
Yes I'm getting the same issue as you guys. Funny thing is I can fire my weapon hear the bullet hit and then see the muzzle flash and gun shot. LOL... It's like they are happening in the wrong order. LOL
This exact same thing was happening in the DOOM3 Alpha release, with a 9700 Pro. It was rumored to be a sound buffer memory leak. Maybe this is a conflict with sound/video simultaneously accessing the same resource?

Suggest you guys list whether you are using SB Live/Audigy based cards or other to see if this may also be a sound issue.

sleepeeg3 said:
This exact same thing was happening in the DOOM3 Alpha release, with a 9700 Pro. It was rumored to be a sound buffer memory leak. Maybe this is a conflict with sound/video simultaneously accessing the same resource?

Suggest you guys list whether you are using SB Live/Audigy based cards or other to see if this may also be a sound issue.

Its not a sound issues as the only hardware that changed for me was my video card when I started to get the hicups..

GabooN said:
Its not a sound issues as the only hardware that changed for me was my video card when I started to get the hicups..

Not a sound issue, a sound buffer issue. Magical memory hooey and what-not. Seriously though, CryTech rewrote a bunch of stuff and if they have a memory leak (or something else that is not / poorly optimized) somewhere then it could be in the sound code as they did re-add 5.1 surround with all the other stuff they added. Who wants to take bets on how long it is before 1.3 is recalled?

What is Blitting?
Is that something that can be enabled in the registry without having to use RivaTuner?
I have the hiccup thing as well and am glad it's not just my system. Couldn't figure what the hell would be causing it.

Klaasman said:
What is Blitting?
Is that something that can be enabled in the registry without having to use RivaTuner?
I have the hiccup thing as well and am glad it's not just my system. Couldn't figure what the hell would be causing it.
Blitting is basically copying a btimap from one part of memory to another, sometimes scaling it or some other simple operation. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_blit

I little bit of the topic but I noticed the hiccups in Counter-Strike: source as well during explosions and gunfire. Find it hard to believe with this config:
Athlon XP-M @ 2500MHZ
XFX 6800GT 400/1.1 66.71
Anyone get that?

I tried the "fix" and it is a big improvement but not at total fix. The infamous canister on the fort level still causes some major lag and i still sometimes see a very slight difference between muzzle flash and gun fire sound right when a fire fight begins. It's alot better now but not "fixed" yet. The in game pauses are very very slight now, but really only right before an auto save. Before just using the aim/zoom button would cause a slight hitch. Glad that is gone now.

I have been using the 66.81s and they have been the most stable for me with the hightest performance as it relates to CS Source Important to me since HL2 is around the corner

Far Cry rocks in smoothness as well with the exception of playing with HDR. I suspect the next driver release will address the issue.

I am having the same lagging problems. I have tried driver ver. 61.77, 66.81, and 66.72. They all produce lagging. I had the 1.2 patch installed, and things ran perfect.

A64 3200+
6800 GT 256MB

I want to clarify that all the delays are in single player mode, so there is no possiblility of network delays.

Does anyone know how to turn off HDR once it has been enabled?

creedAMD said:
this was a solution I had copy and pasted from somewhere, helped me out a lot.

I tried that, and it seemed to push my fps up a lil, but I'm still getting the hiccups with gunfire :(

Updated to the 66.81's after I installed 1.3, havn't a problem, with or without HDR. Know I got an Ultra, but... Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Back