FS/T: Laptop and Vintage Computer Parts, Good Condition All

Status
Not open for further replies.

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
I am looking to dump some old junk. I originally tried to sell these, but Lethal got me for having 2 threads at the same time. Arrg. Shoulda read the rules.

Complete Systems:
-------------------------------

Ponderous P1 Tower:
Beige Steel Full Tower Case (plastic fascia) with Server Base
AT Power Supply of Unknown Wattage, suspected no more than 150W
Pentium 1 150MHz Socket 7 CPU
AT Form Factor Motherboard
Unknown Amount of RAM, suspected no more than 32MB
Dual Western Digital Hard Drives (one is 1625MB, other is unknown in size)
3.5" Floppy Drive
5.25" Floppy Drive
2x CD-ROM Drive
250MB Tape Drive (not hooked up)

This computer most likely began as a file server at a business, although I could be wrong. Nothing remains of whatever tags, etc. identified its original manufacturer. At some point, an architect by the name of Samantha picked the computer up, until it started having some file fragmentation problems. Samantha didn't bother to wipe the hard drives before dumping it off at the Pittsboro, North Carolina Habitat for Humanity store. When my father and I helped them move to a new location a couple of years ago, the thing caught my eye and I asked if I could have it. They told me that the thing was so old, they couldn't put a price on it. I wiped the drives, dusted it, and installed Windows 98 on it. It still runs perfectly, but is about ready for another can of air.

I'm quite interested in knowing more about this old computer, if someone has some information, they are likely to get a significant discount on the other things I'm selling here ;)

In the meantime, it's yours for $50 OBO. I'm also willing to consider parting it out.

Bundled Hardware:
---------------------------

266MHz AMD K6-II Processor, Unknown Super Socket 7 Mobo (Asus?), Unknown RAM (suspected 64MB PC100)
I pulled this out of my father's ancient CTX. It sat on some bedding for an hour or so, and I'm not sure if it was killed. $20 OBO

Expansion Cards:
-------------------------

ISA-16 Memory expansion card. Serial, parallel port solder points (but no ports). $2.50

Quadram Quadboard. ISA-8, looks like a mini computer on an ISA board. I don't know anything about it except the name and that it has a parallel port on the back. And that I don't have a use for it. $5.00

Mystery ISA-8 card. About the size of a smallish PCI sound card. Has a number of chips on it, looks relatively complex. It'd be easier to figure out if there were any output ports, but all I see is a connector that may or may not be for IDE. Whatever it was, it was made in 1984. $2.50

PCI Game Card. Runs a joystick and some sound (I think...) Don't know if I still have the original box or driver floppy tho. It should run just fine in Win3.1, Win95, or Win98. After that... well, no promises. I have no idea if the thing still even works. $5.00

Peripherals:
-----------------

LAN keyboard. Beige/grey. Probably used with monitor to make dumb terminal for old minicomputer. Connects with up to two (2) RJ-45 connectors. Comes with one (1) RJ-45 cable. I don't know whether or not it works, though: I have nothing to test it with. $2.50

Packard Bell monitor w/ speakers. This was actually from the Packard Bell Legend 402CD that got Mother through lawschool. The computer has gone to the Great Motherboard in the Sky, but the monitor and speakers still remain, and they function rather well-- although the monitor flickers quite badly. Includes speaker power supply. $15.00

Software:
-------------

Red Hat Linux Boot Disk, v.5.x $5

Commissions:
---------------------

Graphics $25/hr.
I will do a professional graphics design for you at the rate of $25/hr. I cannot conform to a deadline as I am a poor college student, but my skills with CorelDRAW are very impressive. The final product will be delivered in the form of a CD-R with a professional label and cover. The CD-R will contain the image in two forms. One is a *.cdr file that CorelDRAW 9.0 and later can read, the other is a 300dpi *.jpg. I can add file formats such as *.gif or *.tiff if necessary, at $1 extra per additional file format.

Programs $10/hr.
I will construct a text-based program with Microsoft QuickBASIC (QBASIC) to your specifications, or as close as possible. Please understand that QBASIC is an older programming language, and although easy to use, is somewhat limited in what it can do, far more so than what most people these days are used to.
The programs will be compatible with MS DOS 5.0+, Command Prompt, and most 1980's PC's (although you will need to manually enter the source code for them) and will be text-only. The final product will be delivered in the form of a CD-R with a professional label and cover. The CD-R will contain a self-extracting *.zip archive that holds the program (in compiled *.exe format) eula.txt, readme.txt, and a source code *.txt file. All programs are to be considered open source.

Collector's Items:
-------------------------

Texas Instruments TI-99/4A, beige, with paddles, power supply, and four cartridges. One paddle is damaged, the knob is missing and the internal potentiometer/rheostat (not sure which) is loose. There is also something loose in that paddle External power supply does not appear to be original, and an 'adaptor' is epoxied to the plug. Otherwise in very good condition. $40.00

Commodore 64, beige, primary system unit only. Very good exterior condition. I don't have the cables, so I can't say whether or not it works. $10.00

Set of Coins. Picked these up at the Raleigh Renaissance Fair one year, and I have no use for them, nor any idea what they are worth. Coins are as follows:
- Really, really shiny Canadian Penny
- Indian Coin of Unknown Denomination (I can recognize Devanagari Sanskrit but I can't read it) has 4 fruit over what appears to be water on one side, Sanskrit writing on the other
- 25 Centavos Coin from the Dominican Republic
- 25 Pesetas Coin from Spain
- Israeli Coin of Unknown Denomination. I believe it is a half-dollar (or equivalent thereof) as it has "1/2" in big numbers on one side. As I cannot read Hebrew, I have no idea of its actual worth.
I will sell them for $5 OBO, unless someone tells me they're worth more ;)

Stuff That I WTTF/WTB
---------------------------------

PCI Video Card With 128MB Video RAM and DirectX 8.1 Compatible- Long as it does that and works, I don't much care. $50 Max. or Trade

Quantum IDE 80MB HDD- Learned to program on a 386, but its hard drive took a crap. Don't want to mess with BIOS settings, so that means replacing with an identical drive.

64MB, 128MB, or 256MB PC100 SDRAM stick(s) for an AMD K6-II Board- Part of a folding boxen/1st mod that I'm putting together.

Doom 3- Seriously, I do want that game. I won't be willing to pay more than about $30 cuz I'm poor (in college) though.

Pretty much anything else you got... just ask!

Terms of Sale and Contact Info:
---------------------------------------------------

Everything is for sale as-is. I have been extremely honest here about the condition of stuff, but I can't guarantee that by the time UPS gets your order to you that it won't be in 6 peices. However, I will be reasonable, so if it looks like you got it delivered "air mail" (dropped straight down from 2,000 feet... without a parachute) then email me a pic of the damaged goods (or what is left of them) and I will give you a complete refund.
The buyer pays shipping for whatever they buy, and I am only willing to ship within the US. If you want to trust an online shipping calc, you may, but if the actual charge is higher, you will be billed for the rest. And there is no way in #@!! that I will ship first, I don't care what you promise me.
I do not take PayPal, but I will take checks and money orders. If I get a "rubber check" i.e. it bounces, then I will charge an additional $20 for the trouble. No exceptions. I am being this strict because I have heard of too many people who got burned by doing it other ways.
Naturally, the prices are negotiable, and I am open to trades... but I will only agree if I think they are of equal or better value to the item being sold (i.e. a 15" monitor for the Packard Bell monitor).

I can be contacted either here or through my email, [email protected]. I am currently checking email about once or twice a day, and pm's about once or twice a week.

bump

c'mon... i gotta get this stuff outta here. besides, if i don't sell this then i have very little money ($>100) so i can't mod... which isn't [H]. :( so pleez buy my stuff.

:D whoops. knew there was a reason that i wasn't getting any hits.

laptop specs will be updated.
and mx2 is a psychic. it is indeed a toshiba, a satellite 1415-S173 (refurbished).

here is info on the comp. the diff. between mine and their comparison tho is that mine has an extra 256mb pc2700 sodimm, which cost me $130.

starhawk said:
and mx2 is a psychic. it is indeed a toshiba, a satellite 1415-S173 (refurbished).

No paranormal abilities here, just lots of real world experience with Toshiba:)

then you probably have tripped over a couple similar to mine. for convenience of everyone else, i will post a mini-review here based on my personal experiences with this computer.

the 1415-s173 is a solid design from a few years ago. its day is nearly over as it is comparable to modern laptops only when the s173's best day is also the modern laptop's worst.

the processor is one of the older celerons, and has severe heat problems. it tends to heat up my dorm room by ~2-5 F when under a reasonable load (i.e. 3 ie windows, wmp 9, and ms word at the same time). a notebook cooler and a 9" fan blowing cool air gets rid of the heat but my a/c here is never off, even on a cold day (like today) with the window open.
during heavy load i have estimated temps coming off the case hs of ~110 f or so.

the graphics apparently is from a 16mb nvidia mx420 go. it is quite capable for some things but is rather limited in the range of things it excells at. if you restrict your use to office utilities, 2d games, and something like coreldraw (i have coreldraw 9) then you will have no problems. however, performance with 3d games is phenomenally awful at best. yes, you can play the games, but you will be getting performance about on par with a very good via epia board like an mii.

also the only way to transfer files is via floppy. some of the reviews on the site i gave a link to (at least one... the only one i looked at) said that there was a combo cd-rw/dvd drive. this is incorrect. it only has a cd-rom drive.

also the hard drive is a tad slow, this is normal for laptops but you desktop folks out there will be noticing the difference between your 7200 rpm caviar drive and this toshiba's 5200rpm drive and its 2mb cache.

however if you want to use it so that you can still get paid hourly when on vacation, unless you do photo editing or something you will be very happy with this computer,. the only time it crashes is when it's my fault: when i am overloading it with too much stuff at once, and i usually can tell it's gonna hang a min or so before it does. i have never had any hardware probs at all.

the extra ram was to hopefully knock out some of the heat but no luck.

I concur with your review. This laptop is excellent for basics. I would like to add it is also quite stylish even by today's standards:D

true but the case is a wierd blue-black over most of it... any guess where i can get touch-up paint to knock out the 2 white marks i mentioned?

Try an automotive paint shop. They can usually come almost exact to a match. This might cost you more than its worth to you however. If not, no harm in heading to Checker Auto or Advance Auto for a small bottle of touch up paint in a close shade.

i was thinking more along the lines of testors modeling paint but i will see this weekend if that will work.

Well with the kind of laptop your asking for I have a A64 M6805 (Radeon 9600) If that interests you just let me know. However I am sure you know you will not get a straight trade, lol. I also have a gateway m505 like the one in my sig only I have not opened it. It is refurbished. I can work a deal on either. Its the same graphics just a pentium m 1.4 :D

sorry, can only trade for a laptop that is better than this one.

the laptop is technically my mother, who is about the most un-geeky person possible who isn't amish.

she runs a law practice and for some reason, the world will come to an end if she does not have a laptop of some sort that works.

i really do want to trade up tho i don't expect a straight trade either.

if anyone wants to make an offer, let me know. i have 2 other systems that i can trade with this one, tho one is a p1 150mhz that weighs as much as my car (stinking steel full tower) and the other is a p2 400mhz.

o_O Did I miss how a A64 and a Pentium M both with Radeon 9600 64MB cards are lower? lol maybe I am just nuts? But machines that are consider some of the top of the market confuse me as to how a Celeron with a nvidia 420 is stronger ^-^

hmmm... the pentium m is actually a little slower. what's the full specs on the athlon64?

lowered prices on some of the more worthless crap.

took the lc off the list cuz i cannot find it.

arrg. won't allow a change for the title...

but added a comp and changed the layout... hope i can sell this crap.

thanks arock...

btw... for those with kudo points from me (and i know who you are): all $2.50 items on this thread are now $1.00. this only applies to people with kudo points that i gave out.

starhawk said:
Complete System:
-------------------------------

AT Form Factor
Pentium I 150MHz Processor
Unknown RAM
Unknown HDD, probably ~1gb or so.
3.5" Floppy Drive
5.25" Floppy Drive
250MB Tape Drive (does not work)
2x CD-ROM Drive
Beige Full Tower Case
Windows 98
$50 OBO.
Hey lets trade the mobo, cpu, and memory that I got for sale for this complete system that you have PM me and let me know. And I will send via FedEx and don't worry won't hurt my feelings you say no I'm just trying to find the way to get rid of it.

Also a bump for you. ;)

and by the way what is btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back