Games stretched with 16:10 monitors?

Vampirtc

n00b
In a Samsung 243T review I red that if the game does not support 16:10 resolution, it is stretched.
Is that true, or just for this monitor or others 16:10 too?
This worrys me a lot, since many older games (and new i guess) do not support such resolutions. The correct display would be to show black on both sides for 4:3 resolutions.

My first assumption is that you must be able to display anything with a 1:1 pixel ratio on this or most other LCD monitors with DVI input. I don't know why it wouldn't be an option.

I originally had a post all written out to say this. There is an option in your Display Properties somewhere that should allow this. On my Radeon 9700 it's called "Scale image to panel size." You should be able to uncheck that and display 800x600 with a 1:1 pixel ratio in a smaller area.

So I tried that but the image was still full size. I found that on my monitor, its not controlled by the display software, but rather by the panel itself. I looked around the On Screen Display and found the option for 1:1, Aspect, or Fill image display. This let me display 800x600 as I wanted to.

So I then looked up the manual for the 243T, and could not find this setting anywhere at all in their OSD... I am surprised at this. Furthermore I am confused at some of its options for a digital display. It had image adjustments such as Sharpen, Course, Soften, Fine, as well as vertical/horizontal position adjustment. These settings remind me more of a standard CRT monitor with analog characteristics than an LCD. My Dell 2001FP doesn't have any options such as that that I've noticed. Also, if it will only display an image to the full size of the screen, what good are H/V position adjustments?

I just don't get it. There's always the chance that the option I mentioned in your display properties will have the intended effect.

Anyone else know?

Image stretching has to do with the video card and its drivers. You should be able to choose if you want bars or a stretched image in the display properties. If that option is not there, try Omega's drivers his have the option.

If the Field of View isn´t corrected, games will be stretched, even if you choose a 16:10 resolution. But you can adjust the FOV in most games (by editing the config files of the game, only few games let you adjust the FOV in the game),
Have a look here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/phpBB2/

To your problem:
The 243T should have an own scaler, so you can choose between 1:1, fullscreen and fullscreeen with correct aspect ratio. A few displays don´t have a scaler (=> Apple); in this case you would have a problem with an ATI card, because the driver only offers two options (1:1, fullscreen), nVidia offers all three options in their drivers.

Denis

So does this only apply to Samsung 243T or does my other choice HP L2335 lack the same option? I have Radeon 9600 XT graphic card and had no plans in changing it anytime soon.
How do Xbox and PS2 games work on those monitors?

Any LCD should give you these options. Maybe cheaper ones don't for some reason but I don't know. I would think any LCD would.

Image stretching has to do with the video card and its drivers. You should be able to choose if you want bars or a stretched image in the display properties.

I thought this too. The only option I could find had no effect on my display, and it was only one option: Scale image to screen or not. The 1:1, aspect, and fill properties were in my panel's OSD.

The Apple Cinema Display has no scaler, so a nVidia card is the better choice becaue of the three interpolation options.
The 243T should have an own scaler and three on-screen-menue options.

Denis

Sailor_Moon said:
The 243T should have an own scaler and three on-screen-menue options.
Denis

This is what I thought too. When I read the manual it really seemed like it was a manual for a different display.

So I haven't been able to give you (Vampirtc) any definitive answer yet but I would be absolutely floored if you couldn't get what you are wanting, either through the panel itself or your video card.

Back