Desk modding count? Yea, that desk.. Whole re-fit augmentation :P

STRESSTEST

2[H]4U
Let's start with the before:

PA052050.jpg

Ok, so it's a pretty cool desk. It's big, 3-sided, holds lots of shit but it wasn't big enough. And I wasn’t to excited about the light gray top. I'm into a darker look but not that stuffy mahogany lawyers office crap.

Enter the mod-mood

First off the desk is basically two 6' long desks with a 3' bridge spanning the two, and a large hutch/cabinet. In the room there was quite a bit of room on the other side of the bare desk section for guests to sit at. This is particularly helpful when someone comes over and needs assistance building their PC (I push everyone I know to learn, not let ME do it for them). Some time ago I was thinking that I wanted a desk that would just run on 3 of the 4 walls in here. Screw the area for ppl to sit. If I did this I could easily have more working space for myself :p And I'm a selfish bastard anyway, so heck yea. lol

Shopping list:

1 sheet pressboard 10 bucks
3 sheets Formica Noir Envision 85 bucks each sheet
1 gallon Formica glue (rubber cement basically) 23 bucks
1 paint brush 50 cent
1 paint tray 99 cents
1 roller and brush 5 bucks
1 Formica roller press 9 bucks
1 Formica knife/scoring tool 6 bucks
4 brushed stainless handles (to replace the plastic ones on there now) 5 bucks ea.
3 8'x1/2"x1' Oak trim for final dress around surface 9 bucks ea

First off, sanding. Lots of sanding. Over the 4+ years I've had this desk, there have been many spills of beverage on it. Due to small pinholes in the top cover some has managed to get into the wood causing it to swell. So there are these bumps on the top. All needed to be smoothed out for the new laminate.

The hutch less desk section had this bowing edge to it so it would never go against a wall flush. Out came Mr. Skill saw. ta ta to the bow. Now it sits nicely up against the wall.

PA242065.jpg

PA242069.jpg

Sanding the doors to the hutch too
PA242071.jpg

New 7 foot long bridge being laid up
PA242061.jpg

6 footer being laid up prior to trimming
PA242062.jpg

Trimming
PA242064.jpg

What? You thought I'd leave the Dremel out of this mod? pfft
PA242066.jpg

The room looks like a bomb went off in it at the moment. But the next updates will show great improvement.

PA252072.jpg

This shows the new Formica and the old covering on the drawers. Big difference I think :)
PA252073.jpg

More later.

I so envy you. :) Great looking desk, you should post the pics of the lighting. ;)
I think I'm going to build myself a desk like that.

Whatsisname said:
shoulda gone glass topped. Glass topped is the best ever!

yeah, except it's really hard to hide the fact that you don't clean your desk on a regular basis. And that whole "weight limit" thing can be bad, too.

glass is a frickin pain in the ass.. finger prints everywhere.. dust and crap everywhere... but man i want your monitor setup...

ness1469 said:
yeah, except it's really hard to hide the fact that you don't clean your desk on a regular basis. And that whole "weight limit" thing can be bad, too.

Don't I know it. I'm really afraid of getting that 22" NEC because of how it would be placed on my monitor hutch.

STRESSTEST, how tedious was the sanding? Usually, something that big, I would expect to form a few uneven spots (but that's really just 1 year of sanding experience talking).

Might as well use a leafblower to blow out the residue though :D

tedious?

In my old life I used to be a finish carpenter. After that I went to work at Boeing working on multi million dollar interiors for those shiny silver things you see go overhead.

Not really tedious for me, but it’s all relative, right? But I degress..

stresstest excellent job so far. I loved your pix of your setup in the workstation thread. However i think you should have mod move this to worklogs... cause even though it isnt a computer it belongs in there with the rest of the elite mods. :)

mod on my friend

that's awesome i can't wait to see the finished product.

I myself might be building an entertainment center setup for my room, since I can't find anything that fits and that I like...

any suggestions on a really dark stain that isn't black, but almost black? I'm probably going to sand and stain what I make... :)

So was the original desk a custom build? I was considering this option as well before I installed an Elfa wall unit.

Nice desk. Wish i had something like that in my room.....too bad my room is toooo small

woodix said:
So was the original desk a custom build? I was considering this option as well before I installed an Elfa wall unit.

Originally from Costco some 4 or 5 years ago.

Couple more pics

Gotta love the disaster :)

PA252076.jpg

PA252075.jpg

You see 1 leg here for the bridge. I ended up going with two.
PA252074.jpg

It's done now, but I have several more pics that need to be taken with the oak trim in place now.

Some you keep asking for more info on the CCFL lighting I used under it. So here are some pics of the control box and oldschool PSU (AT)

List of parts:
Radioshack project box Cat # 270-1806
Radioshack RCA jack, panel mount Cat # 274-322
2 x Radioshack wire spool Cat # 278-567
Radioshack RCA plugs 4-pack Cat #: 274-319
5 x CCFL rocker switches
4 x LEDs (1 ea. Red, Green, Blue, UV)
12 x Dual Bulb CCFL kits (3 ea. Red, Green, Blue, UV)
3 to 4-pin fan adaptor (3-pin side cut off)
1 hot glue gun
drill

I chose RCA plugs/jacks because they are 2 conductor and all I needed was 12 volts to the CCFL kits anyway. Center pin on the plugs was +12v and the outside was -12v ground.

The config

PA272084.jpg

PA272087.jpg

PA272086.jpg

PA272088.jpg

PA272085.jpg

Here's one of the 4 wire harnesses I made. Every so often I made a junction with a butchered power harness from the CCFL kit to the main wire harness when I needed to hit an inverter. The end has a RCA connector on it for the control box.

They are about 12 feet long overall since I cut each spool in half and had a little extra cut off each.

PA272089.jpg

PA272090.jpg

each cable hits 3 dual bulb CCFL kits (6 lights total per color)
PA272091.jpg

I'll get the final pics up tomorrow

Casualty of war is the lava lamp... I discovered a crack in the glass towards the bottom where it mates with the base :( .... Oh well..

Damn that's nice. Can't wait to see it when it's finished. I'm gonna have to stop coming to this section of the forum. Everytime I do, it just makes my setup look sadder & sadder. lol :)

Chris626 said:
Damn that's nice. Can't wait to see it when it's finished. I'm gonna have to stop coming to this section of the forum. Everytime I do, it just makes my setup look sadder & sadder. lol :)

There are other sections in this forum :confused:

Loks like it came out nice !

Im waiting for someone to put a USB jack into the desktop surface, great place for plugging in USB drives and joysticks and such! :)

Okay, all done

PB032097.jpg

PB032098.jpg

PB032099.jpg

Added some low voltage halogen micro sized canned lights to the hutch for some warm light
PB032100.jpg

Some closeups of the 1 x 3/8" oak trim
PB032101.jpg

PB032102.jpg

Here you see the 2 pord network drop and the CCFL lighting control box. (And that thumpin Logitech sub :p)
PB032103.jpg

another lamp
PB032105.jpg

And then Stress said, "Let there be light" lol
PB032107.jpg

PB032108.jpg

PB032109.jpg

PB032110.jpg

PB032111.jpg

PB032112.jpg

Shots of both Herman Miller Chairs
PB032113.jpg

PB032114.jpg

And some shots of all the wiring / management going from left to right
PB032115.jpg

PB032116.jpg

PB032117.jpg

PB032118.jpg

PB032119.jpg

PB032120.jpg

And some last closeups of the work stations and the lateral file/printerstand
PB032121.jpg

PB032122.jpg

PB032123.jpg

PB032124.jpg

PB032125.jpg

That is a very nice room you have there! I wonder how it would look if you would have painted the walls too? But I guess it's a bit too late for that... :p Very nice job! ;)

Ya know, I always come poking around here for random bits of inspiration, but I think i have just hit a solid vein of it right here.

I think I'll be planning my own custom desk mod myself in the near future, and I'll be ripping off your "CCFL-under-the-desk" idea wholesale.

All in all, great job!

OMG! thats a helluva nice office you've got there!

Kick ass man!

Is that a 3 LCD array of 2001FPs?

what are those other 2 LCDs?

You've done one awsome job there!!!

the under desk lighting is really cool.

awesome job, i'm envious.

can you tell me where i might be able to find those wallpapers?

thanks

Congratulations, you just owned your bank account :D

Seriously though Stress, that's awesome. The same level of awesomeness I have come to associate with all your mods. Now if only I were rich... :D

Stress, you da man, I thought you setup was sweet before, but now, WOW.
I wish I had that much space ( think of all the Folding Boxen I could put in there)
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very sweet setup once again. i cant wait to have a place of my own (1st college student living in dorms)

you will be the inspiration for me when i do get my own place :)

compslckr said:
you will be the inspiration for me when i do get my own place :)

I know the feeling. I get depressed everytime I look at stress's stuff

Damn dude. So nice and clean! Everything is just perfect. Me = very jealous.

Could you explain how you did the formica? I'm thinking of doing it to my desk as it's got the swollen places in it as well. The direction's on formica's site made it seem like you put the adhesive on both the sheet then the desk, then let it dry, then put the formica on the desk. I'm sure I'm mistaken, though.

Still, it looks awesome.

All you need to put in your will is my name ^_^. Very very nice setup man, thats what I'm striving for when I get out of college! (of course I must finish highschool and get into college, blah!)

Aren't you worried about getting robbed? lol :p

Maybe now you should be :p

Nice job man, i really like the blue cold cathodes and it matches with your desktop theme too.

Hinokagutsuchi said:
Could you explain how you did the formica? I'm thinking of doing it to my desk as it's got the swollen places in it as well. The direction's on formica's site made it seem like you put the adhesive on both the sheet then the desk, then let it dry, then put the formica on the desk. I'm sure I'm mistaken, though.

Still, it looks awesome.

Yea, that's how you do it. I didn't read it tho, so I guess I did it right :p

Actually the process was pretty easy. I bought the gallon of their adhiesive, a paint roller and pan. One word of caution, you WILL need a well ventilated area. I did this in my garage with the door up and a fan outside blowing air into the garage on high speed and I was still getting loopy.

Anyway, i rolled it on the formica and then the stock.. I really didn't wait to long, maybe 2 or 3 minutes max. They sell this roller press dealy too at the store I went too. The idea is that once you have the two halves in place you start at one end and basically put your weight into the roller on the top of the formica and press out all the air bubbles. It's pretty easy but hard on the wrists. I let them sit for maybe an hour or so before I trimmed them with the dremel.

Just remember that stuff is real brittle. Make sure you have some help when you handle the 4x8 sheets if you do this. It's real easy to crack the stuff or knock a corner off of it while moving it.

roachm said:
All you need to put in your will is my name ^_^. Very very nice setup man, thats what I'm striving for when I get out of college! (of course I must finish highschool and get into college, blah!)

Aren't you worried about getting robbed? lol :p

Maybe now you should be :p

Rofl, nice :)

That is stunning work there mate! - I was planning something similar in my computer room & when I was buying the desks my room was about the same size as yours, sadly when I bought the desks (only a corner unit & a long desk to start with thankfully) it seems the image of my room in my mind was a touch bigger than the reality :( - If I had bought all the desks in 1 go & would have an area about 5' square in the middle :rolleyes: I should really start to measure things! - I may have to borrow the cc idea though :)

Good Work!

So did you power the ccfl's with a psu that was not connected to a computer? if so how did you get the psu to work without hooking it up to a mobo? Cause i have an extra psu and some extra ccfl's and that would be cool to do in my apt :D

to make a cpu work with no MB

you just need to put a paper clip or piece of wire between the green wire and the black wire right next to it

Back