Just got a water cooling kit, need some ideas / help

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

This weekend I was at a LAN party and won a Danger Den Water cooling kit worth about $350. It's the maze3 for AMD Block, 1/2" Tubing, a Hydor Water Pump, 5 1/2" bay Reservoir, a bottle of water wetter, a tube of Arctic Silver 5, and a Black Ice Radiator. We've taken a look at my system, and determined that since I am novice in skill and have a severe lack of room inside of my case...

2.jpg

6.jpg

Yeah, you hard core guys will be like, "Yeah, there's definately enough room, cut out the top!" or something like that... not going to happen, hehe. I am going to be getting another case, it's going to be the Thermaltake Tsunami, black w/ window... you can see it here:

11-133-132-05.JPG

So I'm going to be setting up my kit in that. I'm getting a new case anyways because I am going to be upgrading my machine... but I'm looking for a few ideas. It's got to be lighted right, so I'm still debating on what I should get... I like blue, and that will completely fit my power scheme [black everything with blue lights, or accenting], but the green stands out more... so that's one thing I'm deciding on.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is how exactly to do this... there were some recommendations on what I should buy, such as a few more clamps, some prestone for the fluid instead of water wetter [does prestone come in blue? How much should I use?] How much dye should I put in?

As for installation wise... lemme see if I got this straight... Radiator is going to be installed on the back of the case... pump on the bottom right hand corner... radiator in one of the bays... tubes going between them all of course connecting them... basically run the system without it being inside the computer for 24 hours to make sure there are no leaks, and then install?

What do you guys think about me getting a relay, a bit more presentable than setting removing a slot and just pulling a plug through? What else do you recommend I get? I figure to become a pro, I have to ask the pros. :)

Thanks!

I used zip-ties on all of my connections...double zip ties actually. They told you that worth over $350? They must not shop around, not thread crapping, because that is a nice ass system for free. GJ on winning it! I'd be concearned with the order you set them up in too. i suggest
pump -> radiator -> CPU block ->aditional blocks -> res -> pump

this is because the pump adds heat(yea thats right smart guys :p) and then the cpu will be getting the coldest possible water because its directly after the rad. Then it proceeds to the other blocks slightly warmed(shouldn't hurt perfomance too much if u even have other blocks).

I thought about gettin a thermaltake tsunami to mount my kit, then i also looked at antec p160's anything with 120mm fan mounts should be easier, but you'll still need to cut to run the tubes. Just remember "measure twice, cut once" when it comes to modding. Then use common sense, and then you should be set for the water cooling experience :)

*edit* oh i ended up with a coolermaster stacker for anyone who might for some reason wonder.

Punkrulz said:
Hey guys,

This weekend I was at a LAN party and won a Danger Den Water cooling kit worth about $350. It's the maze3 for AMD Block, 1/2" Tubing, a Hydor Water Pump, 5 1/2" bay Reservoir, a bottle of water wetter, a tube of Arctic Silver 5, and a Black Ice Radiator. We've taken a look at my system, and determined that since I am novice in skill and have a severe lack of room inside of my case...

2.jpg

6.jpg

Yeah, you hard core guys will be like, "Yeah, there's definately enough room, cut out the top!" or something like that... not going to happen, hehe. I am going to be getting another case, it's going to be the Thermaltake Tsunami, black w/ window... you can see it here:

11-133-132-05.JPG

So I'm going to be setting up my kit in that. I'm getting a new case anyways because I am going to be upgrading my machine... but I'm looking for a few ideas. It's got to be lighted right, so I'm still debating on what I should get... I like blue, and that will completely fit my power scheme [black everything with blue lights, or accenting], but the green stands out more... so that's one thing I'm deciding on.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is how exactly to do this... there were some recommendations on what I should buy, such as a few more clamps, some prestone for the fluid instead of water wetter [does prestone come in blue? How much should I use?] How much dye should I put in?

As for installation wise... lemme see if I got this straight... Radiator is going to be installed on the back of the case... pump on the bottom right hand corner... radiator in one of the bays... tubes going between them all of course connecting them... basically run the system without it being inside the computer for 24 hours to make sure there are no leaks, and then install?

What do you guys think about me getting a relay, a bit more presentable than setting removing a slot and just pulling a plug through? What else do you recommend I get? I figure to become a pro, I have to ask the pros. :)

Thanks!

I have the Thermaltake Tsunami case, with a hydor pump, d -tek pro 120mm radiator in this case. It wasnt an easy mod, but I was able to do it nice and neatly. If you want to put the radiator inside like I did this is what I had to do. It may be different for you, but this is what I needeed to do, to fit 3 hard drives, and 2 cdroms.

#1. Remove the entire bottom rack where the hard drives mount to, set it aside.

#2. Pop the 4 rivots out of the hard drive rack mounted to the bottom of the case.

#3. Take the hard drive rack, and using a dremel wheel, hack saw, or even sharp tin snips cut down the top of the hard drive rack that you willl not be using. In my case, I needed to chop everything above the bottom 2 hard drive mounts.

#4 After you cut down the hard drive mount, it m ay be jagged, sharp depending on how you cut it, so take a dremel and smooth it off. Or use small door trim molding and run that around the top of thecut.

#5. Get yourself a pair of 3.5-5/5.25 hard drive adapater rails.

#6 Screw down whatever hard drives you have into the hard drive rack, attach the rails to the side of the hard drive rack and slide it into your 5.25 bay.

#7 You can attach the hard drive rack right to the side of the 5.25 mount using the hard drive screws, they work wonderfully.

#8.. (optional) but i reccomend it, cut out the front metal where you are going to mount your radaitor. There are holes there from where the 120MM fan mounted to, but depending on how big that rad is, you may be restricting it some. I have done machines with and without cutting the front out. So both ways will work fine.

After that, your basically home free. You still can fit a total of 3 hard drives, and 2 cd roms like me and have a nice neat looking modded case.

I will post you a picture of my modification so you get a better idea.

casemod1.jpg

casemod2.jpg

casemod3.jpg

casemod4.jpg

casemod5.jpg

casemod6.jpg

I hope that helps you out.

Back