Samsung 243T - 24" Widesceen Gaming bliss!

dworley

Gawd
Finally found a great deal on a 24" LCD to replace my defective HPL2335 that I sent back due to the infamous "Black stripe" of death.

Was Shopping at Fry's today and came across the Samsung 24" LCD on sale for $1699 with a $100 MIR.

Unfortuanately they were out of stock, but after closely inspecting the display unit I offered to buy it (discounted for open box of course). They did not have the original box for the Mail in rebate so I got them to sell it to me for $1649!

Not 1 bad pixel and the image quality is superb across the entire secreen - very uniform!

I am very happy with this display and have been enjoying CS:Source in 1600x900 goodness as well as Far Cry and Doom3 in widescreen bliss!

For those looking for an alternative $1799 + $100 MIR is a great buy on this awesome monitor for $1699 from Fry's outpost!

DSC00075.jpg

navicaph said:
Did know you could offer to buy the display unit.

Erm that's what he did. :D

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Anyone know if this monitor is available in black here in Europe or not? I've not been able to find it in black. :(

Some people are saying that even though it has a high rated response time, it is not noticible in games. Is this true for you?

wow thats gorgeous! congrats man! The rest of the desktop looks great too! ENJOY!

Silverghost said:
Some people are saying that even though it has a high rated response time, it is not noticible in games. Is this true for you?
Samsung has a history of having great panels even with higher response rates. I havea Samsung 172T with a 25ms response rate and there is absolutely 0 ghosting in doom3 or farcry. Samsung just makes good products. I plan on getting a 243T soon (unless they come out with something bigger within 3 months :))

I got the chance to play with one over the weekend in a computer store. I love my Samsung 213T but if I had the spare bucks this is the only 23/24” monitor I would buy.

If I weren’t positive my wife would kill me I’d buy it anyway. Got the chance to play Doom, UT2004 and Far cry as well as watch some DVD’s. This thing rocks, period.

They had the HP and Sony next to it and let me switch back and forth, I have to admit they all looked good, but the Samsung just “Stood out”.

The nice part about buying a display piece is, you know what your getting before you open the box and you get full warrantee.

dworley said:
Finally found a great deal on a 24" LCD to replace my defective HPL2335 that I sent back due to the infamous "Black stripe" of death.

Was Shopping at Fry's today and came across the Samsung 24" LCD on sale for $1699 with a $100 MIR.

Unfortuanately they were out of stock, but after closely inspecting the display unit I offered to buy it (discounted for open box of course). They did not have the original box for the Mail in rebate so I got them to sell it to me for $1649!

Not 1 bad pixel and the image quality is superb across the entire secreen - very uniform!

I am very happy with this display and have been enjoying CS:Source in 1600x900 goodness as well as Far Cry and Doom3 in widescreen bliss!

For those looking for an alternative $1799 + $100 MIR is a great buy on this awesome monitor for $1699 from Fry's outpost!

DSC00075.jpg

Hi dworley,

Can you confirm the response times for that model as after you saying there is no visible ghosting it look like it will be the one i will purchase, but i did some searching and got these stats for the model below it says it has a 30ms response time can you confirm if that is so. Thanks in advance :)
The Samsung SyncMaster™ 243T is a pivoting 24.0" analogue/digital LCD display offering a 500:1 contrast ratio, 1920 x 1200 resolution, 0.270mm pixel pitch, Xtrawide™ 170°/170° viewing angle.

Features
• 24.06" Viewable Area
• 270 cd/m2 Brightness
• 500:1 Contrast Ratio
• 170°/170° Viewing Angle (H/V)
• 30 ms Response Time
• Analogue / Digital Interface
• 1920 x 1200 Max. Resolution

navicaph said:
Didn't know you could offer to buy the display unit.

Yea, if people are willing to offer money for it why wouldn't they sell it? I only wish CompUSA didn't sell all of their 24" Sammy's including their floor model because I really wanted to see what this thing looks like.

According to the specs I looked at it is rated for 25ms. I could not detect any visible ghosting or artifacts when playing CS:Source at 1600x900, Farcry at 1600x900 or COD at 1600x1200.

I will need to put more time in as I only played for a few hours but I am very pleased with this monitor which I upgraded from a Dell 2000FP. The Dell is also rated for 25ms and never had any issues with ghosting etc. on it either and have used it for 2+ years!

-Dave

dworley said:
According to the specs I looked at it is rated for 25ms. I could not detect any visible ghosting or artifacts when playing CS:Source at 1600x900, Farcry at 1600x900 or COD at 1600x1200.

I will need to put more time in as I only played for a few hours but I am very pleased with this monitor which I upgraded from a Dell 2000FP. The Dell is also rated for 25ms and never had any issues with ghosting etc. on it either and have used it for 2+ years!

-Dave

Thanks dworley
Looking forward to any views you have after you have put some more time into playing games on it :)

thats a tight ass montor... what video card are you running with it?

robert said:
Hi dworley,

Can you confirm the response times for that model as after you saying there is no visible ghosting it look like it will be the one i will purchase, but i did some searching and got these stats for the model below it says it has a 30ms response time can you confirm if that is so. Thanks in advance :)
The Samsung SyncMaster™ 243T is a pivoting 24.0" analogue/digital LCD display offering a 500:1 contrast ratio, 1920 x 1200 resolution, 0.270mm pixel pitch, Xtrawide™ 170°/170° viewing angle.

Features
• 24.06" Viewable Area
• 270 cd/m2 Brightness
• 500:1 Contrast Ratio
• 170°/170° Viewing Angle (H/V)
• 30 ms Response Time
• Analogue / Digital Interface
• 1920 x 1200 Max. Resolution

The "real" response time is 25ms. Samsung is very conservative with their timing specs and tend to take all factors into consideration when they publish them. It’s a Spec people need to start to understand because it means nothing if your 12ms screen ghosts and your .25ms screen doesn’t. The 24” Samsung had no noticeable ghosting. Less in fact then my 213T with the same specs.

The other part was the color, it was rich and deep once I calibrated it. Like I said before I’d own one in a heartbeat.

These various 23''/24'' widescreen monitor threads always leave me jealous. That's a gorgeous display.

One question: since HP is the only company offering a widescreen monitor with component inputs, what are the odds of its competitors (Sony, Samsung, etc) of offering a wide variety of input devices on their next-gen monitors? Is HDMI a possibility?

I have requested a refund for my HP L2335 and will most likely replace it with this bad boy, regardless that it's 25ms. I can also only get the silver version of 243T, but after all, it's the display itself that's the most important part, not the bezel. :p

Unfortunately Mindfactory.de (where I bought my HP) wants an outrageous €2421 for this display, when its competitors sell it as cheap as €1680, I'll see if I can make them price match it, else I'll have my money back and buy it from somewhere else instead.

I've lost faith in the LG/Philips panel so no more HP/Sony/Benq/Apple 23" for me, it would suck to return this HP all the way to Germany, pay €600 more, and get a Sony that's just as bad. ;)

Can you post more pics? Otherwise I'm gonna start a thread to form a road trip to your house and I'm gonna drool all over and touch the screen leaving it all greasy and dirty.

j/k about the road trip. :p

i desperately need to know what he is using to drive that thing with!!! :confused:

Would be nice to see more pics, and to get some more perspective on how this display handles games with or without any noticeable ghosting :D

Here's my gaming rig that is driving my Samsung 24" Monitor:

Custom Water Cooled Shuttle SB75G2
P4 3.2C
1GB Kingston PC4000 HyperX
BFG 6800GT OC @ 420/1100
Kingwin AWC-1 Water Cooling kit

XPC_WATER1.jpg

That looks like a 6800 to me so I'm sure he can do very well with res's.

Have you had chance to test it out on any more games?
I am deciding today either to buy the Samsung 243T or the Sony SDM-P234B 23ins :)

It states the samsung has 30ms where the Sony has 16ms but some reviews say even at the 30ms the samsung is good for gaming!

robert said:
Have you had chance to test it out on any more games?
I am deciding today either to buy the Samsung 243T or the Sony SDM-P234B 23ins :)

It states the samsung has 30ms where the Sony has 16ms but some reviews say even at the 30ms the samsung is good for gaming!
The samsung out performs the Sony in every category. I had a sony, and trust me, once you see the samsung you will see what im talking about.

And if you like it or not, there is a little ghosting on both monitors. If you are a hardcore gamer I would get an lcd with a faster response time than 16ms.

ben johnson said:
The samsung out performs the Sony in every category. I had a sony, and trust me, once you see the samsung you will see what im talking about.

And if you like it or not, there is a little ghosting on both monitors. If you are a hardcore gamer I would get an lcd with a faster response time than 16ms.

Thanks Ben
If the you can't really notice any ghosting on the Samsung with games...I think i will go for that rather than the Sony as i heard a lot have a pinkish problem with it. Thanks again for your advice :)

robert said:
Thanks Ben
If the you can't really notice any ghosting on the Samsung with games...I think i will go for that rather than the Sony as i heard a lot have a pinkish problem with it. Thanks again for your advice :)
Yep, I had dual monitors for a day with the sony and the samsung. I would use the samsung for a little while then switch over to the Sony and the whites would actually look pink. Then my eys would get used to it and I wouldnt notice it. So unless you have another monitor to compare it to, you probably wont notice the pinkish whites, but they are definately there.

ben johnson said:
Yep, I had dual monitors for a day with the sony and the samsung. I would use the samsung for a little while then switch over to the Sony and the whites would actually look pink. Then my eys would get used to it and I wouldnt notice it. So unless you have another monitor to compare it to, you probably wont notice the pinkish whites, but they are definately there.

So even though the response time is higher with the Samsung than the Sony, there is no difference in that area with ghosting while playing games?
Forgot to add..this is where i am getting it from in silver but it says 30ms response time do you think that is an error? http://www.savastore.com/products/p...e=Savastore&product_id=10275861&pid=45&tid=2#
Thanks

Back