Unusual SFF socket 478 mobo (no psu used + low profile)

SJetski71

Fully [H]
Edit: PLEEZE try to keep this deal quiet so loyal [H] readers + friends can benefit, i'll hunt you down otherwise :D

Figured i'd throw this out there for those who may be interested. It was originally designed for "makeshift" notebook computers that used desktop parts inside. All ports are situated in a way to keep the profile as low as possible. Best part is, it doesn't need a conventional psu, it uses some sort of ac/dc power plug instead (?) This thing can probably be stuffed into a low profile dvd-player type case, and its only $16 + S/H to boot. I'd only recommend this to those confident enough to deal with electronics, as the power plug is unconventional/propietary.

Onboard items include: audio + spdif, vga + svideo, firewire, USB2.0, lan, 56k modem and possibly an lcd controller

Search for " Chaintech 9SLF0 " @ CompGeeks and use coupon code bensbargains for 10% off ($14.85 +s/h)

Edit: Good only with Northwood based processors, might take precotts but some heat-related warnings come with it (?). Mind you the warning probably assumes the cpu is going into a tight notebook enclosure. The jury is still out on prescotts in other words.

Edit: be sure to read thoroughly and investigate before ordering, the power adapter might be a rare, hard to find item.

that looks kind of cool. this could be consolidated tot he sticky at the top though.

It's a notebook motherboard, maybe with a USB tuner..... :D

If I have an extra $20 I'll pick one up later around my birthday, although I'm not an Intel guy so I'll probably build something with it and then sell it once it's done (I have a gutted DVD player sitting right next to me waiting for some work :D).

So what P4s can I use in it?

CrimandEvil said:

If I have an extra $20 I'll pick one up later around my birthday, although I'm not an Intel guy so I'll probably build something with it and then sell it once it's done (I have a gutted DVD player sitting right next to me waiting for some work :D).

So what P4s can I use in it?
Not sure, you might need to do a search on the chipset: SiS M650/962 socket 478 400/533 fsb. I do see notebooks with this chipset and a P4 3ghz so that is heartening news...hopefully it isn't just the newer hotter running p4's (im no pentium guy either as you can tell).

Come to think of it, this might be able to use a notebook power adapter, apparently this chipset is still being used in notebooks today. Couple it with a refurb cpu, lower profile HS, and maybe a jumbo silent fan and this thing ought to be silent as heck.

IDversusEGO said:
that looks kind of cool. this could be consolidated tot he sticky at the top though.
i would have, but i figured it was worth a lil discussion as well ;)

I bought one, $23.50 with shipping.

Should be interesting, now all I need is a CPU for it, and to figure out that power connector!

found something out about it too: Link

and the Chaintech page with more info, drivers, etc... link

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
valve1138 said:
I bought one, $23.50 with shipping.

Should be interesting, now all I need is a CPU for it, and to figure out that power connector!

found something out about it too: Link

and the Chaintech page with more info, drivers, etc... link
It'll take some legwork but you ought to ba able to find the power adapter. If you find a solution please post it here :)

Ideas on how to go about it:
- MFR website, download some mobo or notebook manuals
- emailing/calling a mfr or distributer
- i'd be cautious on testing other noteook power adapters but if you research the requirements first.....

Another good aspect i noticed is ram speed, it only needs pc2100-pc2700 which can usually be found a bit cheaper than pc3200, or perhaps people have it laying around in the closet?

SJetski71 said:
It'll take some legwork but you ought to ba able to find the power adapter. If you find a solution please post it here :)

Ideas on how to go about it:
- MFR website, download some mobo or notebook manuals
- emailing/calling a mfr or distributer
- i'd be cautious on testing other noteook power adapters but if you research the requirements first.....

I've been looking, someone must sell the Chaintech AC/DC adapter outright, if not they probably just used an OEM product for it.

Haven't been able to find one yet.

I'm sooooo using this for a MAME cabinet :D

I noticed in that ebay link above that the bundle includes a remote control...maybe this mobo has something built-in that we don't know about? Actually, this thing might have built-in everything including 802.11b and antenna... NOTE, i'm reading the ebay notebook description, NOT the compgeeks one!

Another awesome thought, does this thing have a built-in laptop lcd controller? woot i'm buying two if it does. Laptop lcd's go for dirt cheap on ebay.

Dam, so enticing, cant resist, ordering now. More cool junk to add to the pile :) :(

Edit: NM, not ordering, almost forgot it needs a p4/celeron cpu, not willing to spend that much :(

I checked the Chaintech site but my Korean isn't as good as my Japanese. Judging from the pics it looks like the remote is RF, Hey Valve make sure to post some pics of it when you get it.

I believe it does have an LCD controller but I won't know unless I can see some better pics of it.

oh, damn, if it has the lcd controller, I will get one too. I ahve been wanting to build a mame box, and I actually have some old laptops I could gut the LCD from. I was jsut going to use the laptops for it, but i would prefer something a little more modern. the laptops are p2 350's.

hope word doesn't spread too fast, this will get bought up in no time if any HT forums catch wind of it...

Should i order or shouldn't i ? darn darn darn its hard to resist

maybe i'll just order it and hop on the next super-hot P4 deal i run into. darn darn darn

edit: heck with it, i'll order it, if i don't end up using it, then i'll heavily discount it to one of our fellow htpc forumers....now the question is...should i buy two? darn again! I believe shipping remains at $7 for two mobos (?)

You could always get the P4 in the FS/FT for cheap. :) I really do hope they last atleast for the next week, someone willing to order one for me in the mean time? :(
SJetski71 said:
hope word doesn't spread too fast, this will get bought up in no time if any HT forums catch wind of it...

Should i order or shouldn't i ? darn darn darn its hard to resist

maybe i'll just order it and hop on the next super-hot P4 deal i run into. darn darn darn

edit: heck with it, i'll order it, if i don't end up using it, then i'll heavily discount it to one of our fellow htpc forumers....now the question is...should i buy two? darn again!

Edit: use coupon code bensbargains for 10% off, brings price down to $14.85, this keeps getting better and better

Holy crap, I didn't even occur to me that this has a built-in LCD controller, just so happens I have a 15 inch panel from a dead Acer notebook! :)

As for whoever mentioned wireless, it has a min-PCI slot for that, so it should be straight forward to add wireless.

As for a remote, hmmmm, I wonder what would work with that?

Look what else compgeeks has in stock: Link

hmm, wonder if that would do the trick.

Looks like it will if it doesn't use a proprietary one. If the remote is indeed an RF and it conforms to RF standards then pretty much any RF will work. I have an X10 I'm going to try it with. I'm more worried about the keyboard since many of those are proprietary. Wonder if I can just by pass it and use a normal USB one. Any tell if it supports desktop style memory?
valve1138 said:

Cool, I have an RF remote kicking around.

For RAM it has two DDR DIMM slots.

USB keyboard? I'll find out when I get it, if not it has PS/2 style ports.

It has them on the back, I just perfer USB as an elegant option, lol,

CrimandEvil said:
It has them on the back, I just perfer USB as an elegant option, lol,

Me too :D

I read the manual, it says it has a "USB Keyboard" option in it. So that's promising.

memory is a ??. I have a few stick of laptop ddr and pc133 that i could use. damn, this is getting ore tempting. If we could confirm that the LCD controller is a standard type, I might get it.

Judging by the info listed it says that it uses 184 pin memory which is the same as desktop memory, notebook memory is 200 pins.

LOL, just noticed that it'll take as high as a 2.4 P4.

Just noticed that it says that the DC power jack is a 4 pin model, something to keep in mind.

CrimandEvil said:
Judging by the info listed it says that it uses 184 pin memory which is the same as desktop memory, notebook memory is 200 pins.

I just have to find a cheap 533FSB P4 now, wonder how high of a P4 it'll take?

Just noticed that it says that the DC power jack is a 4 pin model, something to keep in mind.
I saw Notebook computers with that chipset that had P4 3ghz in them. This thing ought to be fairly future proof. A person could buy a cheap cellie or P4 1.5 for now, then buy a P4 3.0ghz when they drop down to $50 on ebay (thas if it truly allows p4's) Maybe a bios update?

I am a cheap power brick away from buying...must ersist the urge.. Trying to decide if this is worth the cold shoulder from the wife for a couple of days. I ahve dropped some serious coinage lately. New HTPC, new gaming video card, new headphones, Halo 2, wireless network, 200 blank DVD's,. I am in danger of getting an allowance soon.

IDversusEGO said:
I am a cheap power brick away from buying...must ersist the urge.. Trying to decide if this is worth the cold shoulder from the wife for a couple of days. I ahve dropped some serious coinage lately. New HTPC, new gaming video card, new headphones, Halo 2, wireless network, 200 blank DVD's,. I am in danger of getting an allowance soon.
Maybe announce that you're "selling" something on ebay or for sale/trade to placate her? I'm already using Crim as an excuse to my fiancee
(LoL sry Crim :p ).

looks pretty sweet, i might order a few of them. i have a 2 ghz p4 and a 512mb stick of 2100 ddr around here

SJetski71 said:
Maybe announce that you're "selling" something on ebay or for sale/trade to placate her? I'm already using Crim as an excuse to my fiancee
(LoL sry Crim :p ).
that's how I got H2...maybe a kidney. you only NEED one right?

valve1138 said:
Holy crap, I didn't even occur to me that this has a built-in LCD controller, just so happens I have a 15 inch panel from a dead Acer notebook! :)

As for whoever mentioned wireless, it has a min-PCI slot for that, so it should be straight forward to add wireless.

If that ebay link is any sort of guide, it says "built in 802.11b + antenna". I reeeeeally really hope "built-in" means "onboard" (crosses fingers)

Edit:
IDversusEGO said:
LoL

LOL, I'm glad that I'm not married yet. :)

IDversusEGO said:
Some activities would benefit from an extra kidney.. or was that a liver? ;)

It's a little black thing along the back, best to check the Ebay link.

you mean that dinky little black port between the parallel and vga ports?

Edit: confirmed. that's the port.

valve1138 said:
Look what else compgeeks has in stock: Link (this is a universal adapter for notebook computers if anybody's interested) .
before you buy, make sure to price-check ebay and all the other "discount stores". Something like this might be available at every discount shop online. Good idea and find, i hadn't thought about a universal adapter

SJetski71 said:
before you buy, make sure to price-check ebay and all the other "discount stores". Something like this might be available at every discount shop online. Good idea and find, i hadn't thought about a universal adapter
they sell those at radio shack and just about any electronics retailer. I just try to stay away from universal items. should work though.

CrimandEvil said:
Crim, what do you mean by USB tuner?

plz pardon the ignorance on my part

To clear up some confusion:

The link I posted to Ebay is for a complete Chaintech IMO-Desk setup, which this motherboard came from. What Compgeeks is selling is the bare board in a cardboard box, nothing else.

you will not get wireless, antennas, the 6-in-1 card reader or anything else that isn't physically soldered to that motherboard.

SJetski71 said:
Crim, what do you mean by USB tuner?

plz pardon the ignorance on my part
I believe he is implying that you could use a USB TV tuner and make an HTPC out of it.

Back