Run, don't walk, to BestBuy B&M: Fuji 50pk DVD+R & -R $19.99 (instant rebate)

SJetski71

Fully [H]
Ripped from a thread @ FW

This is an in-store only deal on 8X DVD +R & -R so as the title states...run on down to the local best buy. There is one caveat though so be sure to read closely below.

Important:
Make sure the spindle is labeled made in japan right under the bar code. Made in japan media are tayo yuden's and superior to most of the others. The ones labled "made in taiwan" are prodiscs and not as good as TY. The TY can supposedly burn @ 16X with the right firmware so be sure to stock up NOW :D

Edit: be sure to rummage through both +R and -R media for the japanese ones.
Edit: Lite-on owners beware, some of them are having compatibility issues with fuji/TY02 8X.

Picked through 24 packs of them at BB and no "Made in Japan". I think Fuji also uses a lot of Riteks, at least some of the older Fuji-Rs I have here are Riteks.

Happy hunting.

punisher said:
Picked through 24 packs of them at BB and no "Made in Japan". I think Fuji also uses a lot of Riteks, at least some of the older Fuji-Rs I have here are Riteks.

Happy hunting.
hmm, i was browsing throught the racks a few weeks ago and my results were the opposite. All were "made in japan" and non in taiwan, can't remember if it was +R or -R media though.
They're supposedly mixed in with each other so everyone else be sure to rummage thoroughly. Be sure to check both +R and -R media for the japanese ones.

Hmm, I looked at the online ad: "1X record speed". I wonder if Fuji/BB are trying to get a bunch of old Ritek G03s out the door?

punisher said:
Hmm, I looked at the online ad: "1X record speed". I wonder if Fuji/BB are trying to get a bunch of old Ritek G03s out the door?
BB's online add hasn't been updated in over a year as per FW members. Those guys are coming home with bucket fulls of 8X tayo yudens for $20 so there's really only one way to find out ;).

The made in japan ones are very common in north NJ best buy's btw. Elsewhere i'm not sure

By golly, I am going to head down again tomorrow to see if there are any fresh packs out. I might take a chance and pick up some Sony CDRs for 9.99 also.

EDIT: I am the customer BB hates.

When I was looking for the made in Japan label I noticed it was under the proof of purchase in the 4th paragraph. Picked up 2 of these for $40 instead of 1 for $40 great deal. This is one of the better DVD media available.

So be sure to check under the "Proof Of Purchase" for the made in Japan. That's where I saw it at least.

nightanole said:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=109313

looks like these are junk imo. The junk ones are only from frys and bestbuy. Dont know about this one guys.
read on to see the other results, its people attempting burns from 4X to 16X with varying results depending on drive, firmware, and location of spindle. Dvd's located on top of the spindle are notorious for being in poor shape as they've demonstrated. Most brands of drive burned nicely with the exception of lite-on.

The common theme in that thread seems to be:
- discs at the top of the spindle tend to burn badly
- Lite-on drives are the ones having trouble with TY02 8X. Results 'sometimes' improved with firmware upgrades or setting changes.
- The chemicals in TY media vary by package, the 25pks might be different than the 50pks etc etc.
- Plextor/benQ/pioneer drives burn them with good consistent results. NEC did very well also.
- historically TY media is/was known for consistency, but nothing is 100% certain here.
- Perspective: no media is bullet-proof, all have drives they are incompatible with.

People with lite-on burners might want to hold off purchasing TY02 8X for now, at least until lite-on comes up with another firmware upgrade that fixes the compatability issue. This is a quandry for fuji/TY because so many people own Lite-on drives. All the other drives in that thread had good results with TY02 8X media. That thread was a good find btw, bookmarking it for future reference & troubleshooting.

Another common thing is that theres only one complaint ( liteon naturaly) about real ty's, and the rest are complaints about just bestbuy/frys 20 for 50 deal ones. Ive been snookerd 3 times with bad media that sopost to be good. Im just worried that its either, not very good ty ( hard to assume) or its not really ty at all. What is there like 10-15 companies stealing the ty id, and these are being sold as ty so anything can happen.

Well YMMV but.... I picked up the 50 pack of Memorex DVD-R's for $19.99 at CompUSA and I got a $5 off coupon on my next visit ($25 or more). So I could go back and get 100 for $35!

Great find! I picked up 100 +R for myself... $43.28 all said and done. FYI, the Norman BB has both the +R and -R flavors from Japan in abundance.

-SEAL

Well sincei got 200 dvdrs that my burner doesnt like (mits chemicals) i figured hey and bought 50 more. I have a liteon, at 4x i get 40 pi average (300k of them) and almost no po errors (128 total). It never spiked nor got bigger at the biegining or the end. and this was the first disc in the stack. Oh and CC has a buy one get one free coupond that works some times depending on how bad the BB robot is. My guy said did this whole speal about not taking competition couponds. All he has to say was something of " thought you were getting a real good deal eh" for me to just back up and leave.

He he, walked in there with a buy one get one free coupon from CC. Walked out with two 50 packs for $19.99, went in and got another two packs. ;)

Eh heres what i did. I bought 200 of those velocity ones from amazon a few weeks ago. coaster coaster coaster with my liteon. Got a nec 3500. It loves them. so now i have 200 good dvdrs, and 50 ty from best buy that burn at 12x. Oh and my store was on to the cc coupond. Guess that was why they only had 6 packs left total between the +r and -r.

SEALTeamSix said:
Where'd you get one of those? We could all use that, if you can link to it...

-SEAL

i would like that also gonna try to pick some up tomorrow.

Back