Computer upgrade cludge to overclocker? your suggestions?

LadyJaqie

I Have No Title
OK I got this system on a spur of the moment, I got the cash all at once unexpectedly, had no way to order parts online at the time (had no online hookup phone or computer at the time) so I bought local. Well, I regret it because the parts are kinda kludgy and its not much of a performer. at least it's reliable... anyway I want to upgrade bad, statswise I dont need much better I just want some more performance out of it and want to be able to overclock, but mainly I want better quality parts. im sick of running an OEM HSF and noname RAM.

Primary role: Main workstation, this computer does everything and then some. It sees extremely heavy use... primarily cpu/ram intensive applications such as compressing huge RAR files, DiVX, multiple simultaneous file transfers, running many large applications at once, et. al.

the system is listed at http://foxen.mine.nu/comps/ with the SCSI hardware (the hard drives failed)
Code:
CPU: AMD Athlon Barton XP 2500+ 333 FSB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VA-C with Via KT333 chipset and RealTek audio
RAM: 512MB PC2700 offbrand DIMM (CAS 3 dont know exact timings)
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO retail 128MB
Network: D Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 network card
Sound: Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (in addition to onboard sound)
HDD: 120GB Western Digital 7200 RPM 8MB buffer PATA
Optical Drive 1: Sony 4x DVD+-RW uATA
Optical Drive 2: Asus 4x DVD-RW uATA
Removeable Drive 1: Iomega ZIP100 ATA
Removeable Drive 2: 1.44MB Floppy Drive (booooring!)
Primary Power Supply: Nspire 250 Watt ATX PSU (modded)
Secondary Power Supply: RealPower 230 Watt AT PSU (modded)
Case: Enlight 5U Rackmount case w/ casters
Monitor(s): Samsung SyncMaster 192N TFT LCD Monitor @1280x1024

Accessories: Creative Labs 2.0 speakers, USB2 hub, USB hub,
Gravis GamePad PRO USB, Mitsumi 104 key keyboard,
Microsoft Optical Wheelmouse, Brother P-Touch PT1500PC USB label printer,
APC Back-UPS ES 500

Operating system(s)
System Commander 8.1 multiboot tool
Microsoft windows 2000 Professional with GeoShell (primary Operating System)
Microsoft windows 98 SE
Microsoft DOS 6.22
Well, I have all this SCSI stuff and no use for it now, so I figure ill sell or trade it and get some upgrades. I may be just wishing but I think I can get roundabout $500 out of it... hope so anyway, so... heres the parts im thinking I can get.

EnlightEN-7250-AKZ black midtower case with prescott airguide and 300 watt psu
case.jpg

Chaintech SKT600 socket A motherboard
mobo.jpg

Kingstone HyperX dual 256MB LL PC3200 DIMMS
ram.jpg

Alpha S-PAL8055F Heatsink
hs.jpg

Western Digital SATA 7200 RPM 8MB buffer 160GB Hard Drive
hd.jpg

refurbished 21" sony trinitron tube monitor max res 1920x1440
monitor.jpg

The huge case with dual PSU, LCD monitor, ASUS DVD-RW, et. al. plus a new sempron 2400+ I will be using to build a new system for my girlfriend. She has a radeon 9200 pro... we will be trading video cards, I think... because I play older video games then she does and I play them less often then she does.

I would like your opinions and/or suggestions if you would...

get more RAM, 2x512 of some value stuff will work for u, dont worry too much about CL(not much of an performance boost), expensive RAM is only good if u are overclocking, if u are not, anything will do. and i would rethink the psu with that case (generic psu's are crap)

actually right now I am running a single 512MB. I had had two 512MBs and ended up lending one of them out it got stolen but I never used more then about 500MB anyways.... so hey Im fine. my point is Im not using more then 512MB right now.

Yes, I plan on overclocking, thats why the mobo that supports 400FSB and RAM that supports 400 FSB... and the timing, I want the low timing. it does make a lot of difference when you run CPU <--> RAM intensive stuff...

EDIT: Im actually probably going to use an ATXGES power supply and a converter to run this motherboard and not the built in supply, but to tell the truth the built in supply in the enlights are fairly good.

well what psu don't you planning on running with all that, they do make a big difference. Also if you do stick with 512 that hyperx should be good enough to overclock to 400fsb i mean it is rated for that isn't ram ddr400 200x2 or 400fsb anyway? you probably could go further but you obviously know that there is a limit and your overall performance could drop off. I would get an extra set of 512 though, if you do run divx and other computer programs intesively because it does help drastically, i rather have a gig of ram than 512 with good timings. The timings in some way do matter because it just read sectors faster and in some instances throws them out quick too, which does help, especially with overclocking.

edited original thread post to show the ASUS going into girlfriends system and me wanting to use an ATXGES modded for standard ATX into this system.

I dont know... good idea? should save me a good amount of cash... maybe I should get another psu but I dont think ill get the cash enough from the SCSI stuff to get much more then this, its either this or use the one that comes with the enlight case which I dont think is all that bad to be honest...

Qwertyman said:
well what psu don't you planning on running with all that, they do make a big difference.

The Enlight supplies are very good. I've got a bunch of those 300W supplies in machines in our lab, and they are very stable and very reliable. No worries there, IMHO -

Regards - B.B.S.

Nice to know girlfriends/wives abuse "want"ing desires with most, i.e. more than just me. ROFL.

You look to me like you have a good idea of what to do.

A happy girlfriend is probably at least as important as the pc performance. ;)

You might wanna look at the socket 754 amd stuff at some point. Cheapish and nice overclockers.

hehe yah we both want good fast systems. we are a bit out of the norm for girls I suppose... *shrug*

Why socket A? dirt cheap and great performers, also I love socket A. to me they are still the best for the money. I am going to try to stick with it until socket 939/940 becomes halfway affordable, I don't really like the tech of any of the other ones.

ive decided to get her a 2400+ sempron for her system. good an fast and with the latest BIOS my current mobo supports it.

Back