Not open for further replies.

UnrealCpu

2[H]4U
Running a vapochill LS
XMS PC4400
6800 GT OC overclocked to 425/1200
Athlon Fx55 week 42
MSI NEO PLAT 2

Ok first off the MSI board is riddled with problems , temps do not read right what so ever. If this board was for overclockers this board would of never shipped because of this.

Compared to my P4C at 4170 mhz i dont see a difference what so ever.
Aquamark3d score was 77k on my p4
Now its just 81k and my athlon fx 55 is overclocked to 3.240 gighertz my ram bandwidth is 7500mb in sandra.

In 3dmark2001se the benchmark will all of sudden stutter and just freeze and then continue going

Never had issues with my IC7 max 3 when overclocked.

I am sorry but unless some can tell me what i am doing wrong in my bios settings then this chip $850 bucks is going back.
i will be glad to take a restocking fee hit

ive tried 10x-14x multis and nothing seems to work
i dont under hypertext but i have options 1-5 and i mostly leave it on 2x
Use the 1T command too for the ram.

I mean i thought AMD was the bomb and i guess i found out that its really not.

And yes i could feel a difference without HT for intel, windows dont open as fast as when i was using the P4 .

I am very dissapointed.From what i heard also all the s939 boards are just riddled with problems and issues.

I am not trying to start a flame war but i am looking for help here

I think you are GPU limited at this point.
Wait till you can get an Nforce 4 SLI board with two GPU's and I'll bet you'll see a difference.
Oh, and your Hyper Transport is set at 2x? What is your FSB set at?
You should try to keep your HTT (Hyper Transport) running as close to 1000mhz as possible.
No need to set it down to 2 unless you have the FSB at 500.

Klaasman said:
I think you are GPU limited at this point.
Wait till you can get an Nforce 4 SLI board with two GPU's and I'll bet you'll see a difference.
Oh, and your Hyper Transport is set at 2x? What is your FSB set at?
You should try to keep your HTT (Hyper Transport) running as close to 1000mhz as possible.
No need to set it down to 2 unless you have the FSB at 500.

So what do i set it at??

so let me get this straight.. it's not an overclocker's board, but yet you have an fx-55 oc'ed to 3.24ghz? ;)
if your only reason for saying that is cause the temps are off, i'll tell you to update the bios, and you'll be set, hehe
and you're going from an oc'ed p4 to an oc'ed a64.. the two will perform similarly, with the p4 slightly ahead in general stuff, and the a64 ahead in the things where you only have to do one cpu intensive thing at a time, and way ahead in gaming, though as klass said, you are most likely gpu limited at those clock speeds..

UnrealCpu said:
i will be glad to take a restocking fee hit

Another person that OC's the shit outta things and when it doesnt work the way they want they return it. Congrats there guy...
The question is does it run your damn apps right? If it does who gives a flying fuck about 3dmark.

Visible Assassin thats just stupid.... Why do people buy systems like that? So they can play games at the highest setting. To be honest I cant really see someone buying an FX55 and 6800Ultra, just to run Word....
Next time do us a favour and shut up unless you have something helpful to add.

Visable-assassin said:
Another person that OC's the shit outta things and when it doesnt work the way they want they return it. Congrats there guy...
The question is does it run your damn apps right? If it does who gives a flying fuck about 3dmark.

It stutters in farcry too

hmm.. if that's the case.. can you try a fresh install of windows and the latest nvidia drivers?

Are you sure you're stable at 3.24? Doesn't sound like it to me. For the difference in 3dmark scores, you are GPU limited at this point, as the others mentioned. I would try backing off the overclock a little bit, making sure it is 100% stable. I'm assuming you have a fresh install of Windows and all the latest drivers and such.

ShaolinDragon said:
Visible Assassin thats just stupid.... Why do people buy systems like that? So they can play games at the highest setting. To be honest I cant really see someone buying an FX55 and 6800Ultra, just to run Word....
Next time do us a favour and shut up unless you have something helpful to add.

Ok dumbass lets break this down for you. Those who return items because they wont OC like they want or break the items then return em end up costing us more int he end and make RMAing things more difficult. So next time you feel like opening your mouth please think about WTF I am speaking in regards to. Now that that is taken care of. If its stuttering in farcry is it during battle intensive areas or just in general? Is it a sound stutter or video stutter? I know in some cases cards will stutter in D3D programs Iv got a ATI card and a Nvidia card that do stutter in 3dmark and every once in a while in Farcry. Myself I normally see it when I OC my cards core too much and not enough on the ram. You are updated to the 1.3 patch correct? Have you tried a different BIOS ? Have you tried to relas your timings a bit? Does the stuttering occur when at stock speeds?

second thought. before you go returning or changing out parts, disable agp fastwrites in the bios

(cf)Eclipse said:
second thought. before you go returning or changing out parts, disable agp fastwrites in the bios

For some fast writes dont affect them...others it kills em. Also he could try to up his AGP speed to 67mhz just to make sure the lock is working.

UnrealCpu said:
Ok first off the MSI board is riddled with problems , temps do not read right what so ever. If this board was for overclockers this board would of never shipped because of this.

Compared to my P4C at 4170 mhz i dont see a difference what so ever.
Aquamark3d score was 77k on my p4
Now its just 81k and my athlon fx 55 is overclocked to 3.240 gighertz my ram bandwidth is 7500mb in sandra.

Blah Blah Blah....

Oh my god...I don't know if i should be pitying you, or just wondering what the world's coming to, some people have way too much money on their hands, and better yet, don't know the difference between CPU LIMITED AND GPU LIMITED. Please ban me from these forums so I don't keep coming back and seeing this complete rubbish.

Visable-assassin said:
For some fast writes dont affect them...others it kills em. Also he could try to up his AGP speed to 67mhz just to make sure the lock is working.

well i am at 13x multi
3xHT
246FSB
1T ont he ram
68 on the AGP bus

3.2 gigehertz

I got 28k in 3dmark 2001 , yes thats it. hahah from my p4 at 4150mhz i got 23k.

Hmm so my video card is the problem then? Or is intel just a better computer processor!

i did figure out the stuttering problem is the voltage at 10 percent over will cause the problem ,it works perfectly now at 8.3 percent

TheLonelySwedish said:
A FX at 3.2 and he runs aquamark.... classic.

I wonder if i run a p4 at 4.6 gighertz will i be at then
I bet it will kill a athlon fx55 at 3.3 gighertz

Visable-assassin said:
Ok dumbass lets break this down for you. Those who return items because they wont OC like they want or break the items then return em end up costing us more int he end and make RMAing things more difficult. So next time you feel like opening your mouth please think about WTF I am speaking in regards to. Now that that is taken care of. If its stuttering in farcry is it during battle intensive areas or just in general? Is it a sound stutter or video stutter? I know in some cases cards will stutter in D3D programs Iv got a ATI card and a Nvidia card that do stutter in 3dmark and every once in a while in Farcry. Myself I normally see it when I OC my cards core too much and not enough on the ram. You are updated to the 1.3 patch correct? Have you tried a different BIOS ? Have you tried to relas your timings a bit? Does the stuttering occur when at stock speeds?

Your a dumbass :p

UnrealCpu said:
well i am at 13x multi
3xHT
246FSB
1T ont he ram
68 on the AGP bus

3.2 gigehertz

I got 28k in 3dmark 2001 , yes thats it. hahah from my p4 at 4150mhz i got 23k.

Hmm so my video card is the problem then? Or is intel just a better computer processor!

i did figure out the stuttering problem is the voltage at 10 percent over will cause the problem ,it works perfectly now at 8.3 percent

I don't understand your logic. You're running both processors at approximately the same overclock (a little over 25% on each side), so we'll call that fair. The FX-53 is scoring 5,000 points higher than the p4, and you're saying that the intel is a better processor? I'm not trying to say I think one is better than the other, but just trying to understand *why* you think the Intel is better.

The FX-55 is going to be faster in certain areas, especially gaming, and the Pentium 4 @ 4Ghz is going to be faster in other areas, especially multitasking. There is no such thing as a processor that will be faster in everything so you might as well just give up trying now. You'll have to just pick the one thats best for the applications YOU use.

I can tell you one thing though, its not gonna do you any good to go play a GPU intensive PC game and expect to see a difference in performance. The reason most PC games are considered GPU intensive is because the graphics processing unit on the video card is doing most all the work. People are stupid and look at gaming benchmarks in CPU reviews and think that the A64 kicks the Pentium 4's ass in gaming but they dont seem to realize noone plays at the low resolutions they used in the test. And even if they did it wouldn't matter what CPU they had because their fps would be through the roof.

At 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 there is little difference between an A64 and a Pentium 4 in the majority of games. In a handful of CPU intensive games like Morrowind and HL2 you'll be able to notice a difference.

Thanks

I think i relize that now hehee

1k dollars for cpu and mobo is alot to spend for not such a decent upgrade , i might have to wait alittle longer then upgrade ,

UnrealCpu said:
Thanks

I think i relize that now hehee

1k dollars for cpu and mobo is alot to spend for not such a decent upgrade , i might have to wait alittle longer then upgrade ,

Why dont you send that FX-55 back and pick up a 90nm 3500+ instead. They are only a third of the cost and you should be able to get a good overclock out of it. They are exactly the same as the FX cores except they only have half the L2 cache but that doesn't make a big difference anyways. The 90nm cores run cooler and at a lower voltage then the 130nm FX-55 you have.

Shouldn’t this post be moved to the “AMD Sucks” section of the Intel forum? I mean really……….. :rolleyes:

You have seen what my chip can do. And thats at 3ghz. You are setup incorrectly and your card is not as powerful as mine, I eat p-4's. :D

James Earl Ray said:
you have seen what my chip can do. And thats at 3ghz. You are setup incorrectly and your card is not as powerful as mine, I eat p-4's. :D

Same here, defending your “stuff” in a forum is senseless. ;)

think about what you just said "RMA'n amd cpu that will do 3.2"
if you are set on getting rid of this "poor performer" hit the fs/ft section and spare youre vendor(im sure someone would be happy to get a proven processor that can bring a 9800xt
to its knees)
you could also have youre cake and eat it too and just build a second system around
youre "old" intel parts (would be a good excuse for a new vidcard so u could move
that "old" 9800 into youre second box).
pardon my sarcasm but im still waiting a gen to upgrade(nf2 ang 865 for now)

ok heres what you do, dont buy a new processor when you dont need one, get your 850 back, and buy a 6800 ultra! that'll improve your frame rates more than the new processor will

inertiadriftsc said:
ok heres what you do, dont buy a new processor when you dont need one, get your 850 back, and buy a 6800 ultra! that'll improve your frame rates more than the new processor will

Yeah i was actually thinking about getting a radeon xt 850 when they come out.

James Earl Ray said:
I wasnt defending "my stuff" I have been trying to help him all day. "My stuff" is just fine. :D

I meant him, not you ;)

Brad4321 said:
Don't tell me you tried to upgrade to a fx55...
Here are my results after 6 hours of tweaking and rebooting lol
The weird thing is that this is what i came up with
200mem clock
1T
everything else auto in the memory menu
3x HT
13 X Multi
252 FSB
68 AGP
1.7 AGP
10 percent voltage increase

I am getting 26sec super PI constantly.
The weird thing is if i tweak the ram or my FSB to say 253 or 254 i get 27 sec superpi's does not make sense to me. its like i found a sweet spot in the settings above.
Check out the benches

9846Athlon_fx.JPG

and yet you complain of it being slow feeling? sheesh :D

hehehe, nice 1m time though, i get about 38s with my cpu at 2.4ghz :rolleyes:

If I were you(i.e Had a P4 @ 4GHz). I would never have gotten the FX55 setup. Your real world performance difference will be negligable, and you loose HT. Like it or not, P4 is better than A64 when it comes to heavy multitasking(This coming from someone who has used and owned both P4HT and A64).

Right now your bottleneck is the 6800GT. I wouldn't even think about moving to S939 until there are NF4 SLI boards on the market as well as Dual-Core A64s. Fact of the matter is, until SLI is availale, anything above 2.4GHz on the A64 side and 3.4GHz on the P4 side is a waste on games(for the most part). Once SLI is available, a pair of 6800Ultras with a dual core 2.4-2.6GHz A64 will rock just about any other setup out there.

Dew said:
If I were you(i.e Had a P4 @ 4GHz). I would never have gotten the FX55 setup. Your real world performance difference will be negligable, and you loose HT. Like it or not, P4 is better than A64 when it comes to heavy multitasking(This coming from someone who has used and owned both P4HT and A64).

Right now your bottleneck is the 6800GT. I wouldn't even think about moving to S939 until there are NF4 SLI boards on the market as well as Dual-Core A64s. Fact of the matter is, until SLI is availale, anything above 2.4GHz on the A64 side and 3.4GHz on the P4 side is a waste on games(for the most part). Once SLI is available, a pair of 6800Ultras with a dual core 2.4-2.6GHz A64 will rock just about any other setup out there.

Yeah your absolutly right i should just return this setup and put back my good old trusty p4
The MSI board i am using sucks anyway compared to my ic7 max3 .
I think i will wait and just go SLI when it comes out

Dew said:

Amen. Don't forget XP Bartons at 2.7Ghz :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back