my PNY 6800

chris.c

Limp Gawd
came strait out of the box with VERY SLIGHT artifacting.

think i should RMA?

UPDATE:

Last edited:
god dammit .. for some of the shit i've been hearing and now seeing .. PNY should be taken to court .. :eek:

mohammedtaha said:
god dammit .. for some of the shit i've been hearing and now seeing .. PNY should be taken to court .. :eek:
Thats BS.
My PNY 6800 GT is great. No problems. Even OC s to Ultra Speeds w/o problems. (With reference cooler and reference BIO settings it is stable at 415 Mhz Core by 1.16 Mhz Memory}
But, does it only artifact in that FarCry game, or also in other games. If it only artifacts in the FarCry game then- did you apply the patch...?

Anyway- why is the PNY cards bad?
Their 6800 GT uses the Nvidia reference design and everything.

Seems PNY 6800NU cards have problems with caps falling off Guess they tried to rush too many out at once and had a QA shortage

Are only the 6800 Nu having problems or also the 6800 GT s and Ultras?

My PNY 6800 GT is great. No problems.

for 400 dollars, a problem-free device should be expected by the customer. you shouldn't be excited that you got working hardware.

But, does it only artifact in that FarCry game, or also in other games.

every 3D game. the second screenshot i posted is CS:S

If it only artifacts in the FarCry game then- did you apply the patch...?

patch 1.3? yes.

i really don't mind that the card doesn't work... i have 2 other (better) cards anyway. it was just an impulse purchase.

Quote:
My PNY 6800 GT is great. No problems.

for 400 dollars, a problem-free device should be expected by the customer. you shouldn't be excited that you got working hardware.

OF course- when I bought it, I completely expected it to work at 100%. I asked about their return policy and everything- just in case I got a bad card. Even if I got a bad one, I got exchange it because I think I have until Jan. or someething (because they extended the return policy for the Holidays).
The reason why I bought the PNY is that it was the only card I could find. I wanted an eVGA but they did not have them at CompUSA or CircuitCity. I did not want to purchase it online for several reasons 1) I would have to wait longer to recieve it 2) I could not return it as easily as if I had bought it at a store close to me. So I ended up buying the PNY. But as I said- No problems and it works/OC good.

The caps falling off issue may be localized to a handful of stores -- bonehead employees.

As for "PNY being crap," I figure more people have bought PNY cards over the last couple of days than any other brand card, therefore we are more likely to hear people complaining about PNY cards.

Just MHO.

FWIW, my PNY 6800 unlocked just fine and works like a charm. :)

BFG cards are prolly bought the most over the period of time imo becuz it seems BFG is just such a good comp., good warranty and good fans and i haven't seen this many threads with issues like this.

chris.c said:

can i be excited about my GT UE?? :D

Twinkie said:
The caps falling off issue may be localized to a handful of stores -- bonehead employees.

As for "PNY being crap," I figure more people have bought PNY cards over the last couple of days than any other brand card, therefore we are more likely to hear people complaining about PNY cards.

Just MHO.

FWIW, my PNY 6800 unlocked just fine and works like a charm. :)

Yep, I think tons of PNY 6800's were bought over the past few days. Now I own a PNY 6800 and 6800GT

Nomikal said:
That's a Counter-Strike Source problem I've seen on lots of Nvidia cards...

www.steampowered.com/forums should be some help there....do a search first though.

the source engine is bugged to all hell. it has memory dump crashes, sound stuttering problems, problems with logitech mice, etc. not nvidia specific, just buggy as heck in general. pretty poor considering how long it was delayed

I purchased one of these PNY 6800s yesterday. Mine seems to work OK. Unfortunately my monitor sucks.

Back