2005FPW roll call

firey-eyez

Gawd
well, if you've got a 2005FPW stand and be counted in this thread! ive got mine on the way; $600 shipped. should be here sometime late this week or early next. much thanks to a forum member who shall remain anonymous who gave me one of his codes for the 25% off ;)

Got mine this afternoon. I just got home an hour ago and I am still seting up. MONITORS HAS A RED LINE COMING DOWN THE LEFT SIDE OF SCREEN. I will try to see what is the reason for this and fix it :(

Got mine today, having this issue tho...
2005fpw.jpg

If that is the norm, I'm getting rid of this thing.

Anyone else is having the red line issue, and if so how to fix it (other than return for a new one)

Red line is more than likely a dead pixel column. Exchange it.

Dew said:
Got mine today, having this issue tho...
2005fpw.jpg

If that is the norm, I'm getting rid of this thing.

What issue are you having?
Can't tell much from the pic...

Looks like the same type of problem the Sony HS94P suffers from. Good thing i didn't order one if that's normal... dells restocking fee blows.

I don't know what you mean by red-line issue, but I'm having a serious issue just like seen in the picture where the backlights are flooding through at the top two corners really brightly, when im running down a dark hall in CS:S it looks as if there is a lightsource on the top right corner of my screen, highly annoying. Not so much an issue in windows, but in games/movies its VERY apparent. Anyone NOT experiencing this? I'm going to send it back likely, but if this is something on ALL of them I'll just ask for my money back.

Wow, that is unacceptably bad. We need more 2005fpw users to post screens like that using widescreen movies to see how common this is. I too would like to know before I plonk down $600.

I've read virtually every thread on here about the 2005FPW and everyone seems to like it. These problems that you guys have mentioned have not come up before. Mine should be in next week, so I'm hoping that these are isolated issues. Sorry for you guys though. Returning them will be a pain that you shouldn't have to go through.

My first one had the exact same backlight issue, i called tech support and they agreed to overnight me a new one and include a return shipping envelope.

I just received the replacement, and it is just as bad. I will be returning it as well.

Overall i am still very pleased with the monitor, i will just keep sending it back untill i have one with no/minimal backlight leakage, I can undserstand a little bit, but not to that extent.

Just call tech support, go through thier dumb little procedure and get a new one shipped out. It really isnt a hassle since they just send you out a new one. Its a good thing Dell is so big and can eat the expense.

Good god that's some unacceptable backlight leakage. Are you running DVI or analog or does that not matter at all? Man that's whack... i have mine ordered but still no ship date.

I run DVI, I have the same issue on all modes. If I disconnect all inputs and select a connector, it will be a plane black screen with the same issue.

Definately a backlight issue, I'm just glad I wont be eating the shipping fees.

That's kinda funny that guy was like what problem? I guess some people notice things and some don't which is why a lot of people are satisfied with things that others are not. If that is "normal" the thing is definitely going back for a 2001fp or something.

i hope i made the right choice by getting the 2005FPW : l sorry to hear about the backlight leaking...hopefully its just in a few cases.

on a side note can a 2005FPW be exchanged for a 2001FP?

Gotta love the Indian Dell tech support. I linked the guy to the picture and he is running me through troubleshooting......

Compounded by the fact that he has no idea what he is doing and reading straight from a book. He takes 5+minutes between each step asking/reading what to do...

Step 1: Diconnect all data, does the problem still persist: YES
Step 2: Restart and load the bios, does the problem still persist: YES (WTF? We already determined it was isolated to the monitor)
Step 3: Give the dude the serial number.
Step 4: Wait on hold for another 10 mins.....loose signal on my cell phone.
Step 5: He calls me back(thank god), gives me a ref#, dispatch#(wtf is that for?), and says I'll have a new monitor in a week with a return label.

I got mine baby!!! Thanks to that bloke that gave me his extra 25% off!!!! I could not figure out why my 20% off that I won would not work. sigh oh well....but anyways this is my first LCD and man oh man am I psyched!!! Wow I am pretty excited.

Mine has a slight backlight issue, but what got me is this red line down the screen (like Dew said pixel line problem)
I Called Dell support , after being transfer from dept to dept and getting asked the same questions i finally got a hold of the dell chat support (I hung up the phone at that time). I will be getting a new one in 2 days, hope its fine this time. Other than this its a really slek looking monitor, goes perfect with my speakers adn keboard. Now if it only worke fine I will be set.

...ok guys.... you're scaring me.... I feel instantly in love with this monitor when it was first released.... then the delf deals came along and I lucked into the 25% deal. As of today, Monday 11-29-04, mine has been shipped. Then I stubble upon this thread ... :( .. I hope this is a rare problem. How's dells RMA policy? I hope it won't come to that. This is my first LCD panel and I am worried enough about "dead" pixels. I didn't need to see this as well.

O well... I guess we shall se when it arrives. How long does dell's shipping usually take?

trudude said:
I got mine baby!!! Thanks to that bloke that gave me his extra 25% off!!!! I could not figure out why my 20% off that I won would not work. sigh oh well....but anyways this is my first LCD and man oh man am I psyched!!! Wow I am pretty excited.

So yours must not have these problems then? Im glad that at least some of these moniters seem to work, however I am much more worried now then I was before about mine.

edit: anyway, so far it look like 3 of hte people who ordered this last week have the same backlight problems, and a 4th has a dead pixel line, this sounds really bad.

I keep trying to check mines progress, but dell's site always says: "Due to high traffic volume, we are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again later." its been doing that for a whole day, can anyone else check their status?

bander said:
So yours must not have these problems then? Im glad that at least some of these moniters seem to work, however I am much more worried now then I was before about mine.
I have not received it yet. I just ordered it tonight. I asked for overnight shipping so hopefully they will send one out to me pronto. I will update you guys with pictures as soon as it gets here.

Dell's return process is pretty dan good compared to most places, just make sure you go through the tech support routine. Just play dumb, the ppl on teh other end of the phone dont know jack so just say the corners of your screen are grey and the rest is black. They will have you unplug everything, just tell them you did and it still is the same. They should have a new one sent out to you at that point. With a return shipping invoice.

Ya if a replacement can solve the corners being discolored (and continue to not have any dead pixels) then I am in love with this monitor. It is great for gaming, super duper wide if you do any kind of development this is a HUGE plus to have more real estate... *crosses fingers*, tech support isnt open until the morning so im gonna call then....

But then on returning you must also consider what this person said on the other thread: "

you can call Dell and tell them that your monitor is defective (for whatever reason) during the first 15 or 30 days (I cant remember which) and they'll overnite you another one.

then they will make arrangements to have your defective LCD picked up by someone like Airborne or DHL. (errr, wait a minute. didnt Airborne turn into DHL?)

yeah but be careful b/c they reserve the right to send you a refurbished which is what they did with me...before i returned that one too (waiting to get my money back now)."

so you might get a refurbished replacement instead of another new one. seems kind of cheesy to me

Id imagine there cant be too many refurbs since they've only been available a couple weeks anyway, but hey if a refurb solves the problem...

firey-eyez said:
well, if you've got a 2005FPW stand and be counted in this thread! ive got mine on the way; $600 shipped. should be here sometime late this week or early next. much thanks to a forum member who shall remain anonymous who gave me one of his codes for the 25% off ;)

hook it up with the 25% off :)

Dew said:
All the corners being uber bright isn't an issue?

I thought that was due to the camera you used to take the picture.
Didn't think an LCD lighting issue can get that bad.... yikes! :eek:

Roarak said:
Dell's return process is pretty dan good compared to most places, just make sure you go through the tech support routine. Just play dumb, the ppl on teh other end of the phone dont know jack so just say the corners of your screen are grey and the rest is black. They will have you unplug everything, just tell them you did and it still is the same. They should have a new one sent out to you at that point. With a return shipping invoice.

I concur.

my 8600's video was fubar'ed. They overnighted me an empty box and I had my laptop back within 5 days. I was IMPRESSED.

firey-eyez said:
i hope i made the right choice by getting the 2005FPW : l sorry to hear about the backlight leaking...hopefully its just in a few cases.

on a side note can a 2005FPW be exchanged for a 2001FP?

All LCD panels using current technology suffer from some backlight leakage.. Its just the nature of the technology right now.

2001FP has equal chances to leak as bad as a 2005FPW

It's all luck of the draw and how much your panel will leak.

Luckily its only really noticable in dark movie scenes or games that use alot of dark scenes.

Or if your monitor is in sleep mode.

My 2005FPW has no dead pixels, no red lines, and games play great. However, it has issues when playing a DVD using either Windows Media 10 or Cyberlink DVD in full screen. Any DVD plays great maximized, but when switching to full screen: there are horizontal redish, pulsing lines running from left to right and every 1" or so. I'm running a BFG 6800 GT OC (running stock clock) and have tried a couple recent drivers... Any ideas or anyone else exhibit this?

I'll snap some pics tonight and add.

Got mine yesterday, love love love it. No dead pixels, no red lines, no backlight leakage, just perfect. Took some pics last night, not the best in the world but here you go.

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

RADON said:
My 2005FPW has no dead pixels, no red lines, and games play great. However, it has issues when playing a DVD using either Windows Media 10 or Cyberlink DVD in full screen. Any DVD plays great maximized, but when switching to full screen: there are horizontal redish, pulsing lines running from left to right and every 1" or so. I'm running a BFG 6800 GT OC (running stock clock) and have tried a couple recent drivers... Any ideas or anyone else exhibit this?

I'll snap some pics tonight and add.

If they are running near the top or the bottom usually in the DVD program there is a tweak to adjust the positioning of the screen to correct the overscan.

If they are running throughout the screen then something else is wrong.. I've never seen something like that happen only on DVD's and in full screen.. very odd.

Received my 2005FPW yesterday, 11/29/2004. Unpacked it and was lovin' the stand, it's so cool and I was really looking forward to seeing how cool the picture was going to be.

Well, connected everything up, USB, DVI and power. Fired up the monitor and immediately noticed a thin green line from top of the screen to the bottom of the screen about an inch from the right side. Grrrr, did all the troubleshooting per the included disk and nothing made a bit of difference. Guess I'll be calling Dell today when I get home from work to request a replacement. Other than the thin green line it looks pretty cool. One thing after going from a 19" Compaq CRT to the 20" LCD, that sucker is BRIGHT. I guess I'll get used to it, if need be I'll just adjust the brightness down a bit.

Thanks for listening,

stevem

Got mine an hour ago, just got it setup. Works great.. havent seen any dead pixels yet, but havent look very hard either.

I got mine last week. I did have some slight backlight leakage on my upper left and bottom right corners but that's disappeared. Altho mine did come one 1 dead black pixel in the upper right corner, 2 stuck green pixels on a black background and 1 blue stuck pixel on a black background (You really have to look to find them tho).

ok guys, went looking on ebay to look for a nice sized tft, found a dell 2001fp for a 'good' price and later saw the shipping info. seemed it was shipping streight from the US, does that mean that the dell screens use an universal power converter? just wandering if you could check in the manual of the screen to see if its got 240v in the spec.? if so any guess at shipping costs to the uk?

stu

One sample pick, I got a lot more, but dont have time to post them right now.

2005FPW-1.jpg

Back