Going commando w/ my A64

Tenchi4U

¡el papa grande
I finally got enough courage to satisfy my morbid curiosity about what my A64 would run like without the IHS, just straight core to HSF contact (and some AS5 thrown in between).

It looks like a lot of AS5 on the core from the pic, but trust me, there isn't (plus I spread it out more prior to final mounting).

naked_a64.jpg

Back of IHS (in case anybody wondered what it looked like (scratches were my fault).

IHS-back.jpg

So what you're really interested in is what I'm wearing right now....I mean how much of a difference it made as far as cooling. :p

Well here are the readings with a Swiftech MCX6400V w/ 92mm Vornado (fan speed is a constant 3900rpm) and ambient apartment temps were around 68ºF to 70ºF)

A64 3200+ Newcastle running at 210x11 (2.31gHz) 1.5V on an Asus K8VSEDX

With IHS equipped (AS5 on both sides):
CPU: idle=32ºC load=43ºC
Case: idle=28ºC load=28ºC

With IHS removed:
CPU: idle=32ºC load=37ºC
Case: idle=28ºC load=28ºC

Case temps are usually pretty independent of cpu and gpu temps b/c I have a ducting system that keeps the intake air and exhaust air seperate.

Now you ask, "How did you test CPU load, Matt?" - good question, I basically ran Stress Prime 2004 (similar to Prime95, but SP2004 records the temps after every test and keeps a running clock) for 7 hours. Kept the apt. thermostat at Heat 70ºF.

Q&A

Q: Is this mod for everybody?
A: Most definitely NOT, it will void your warranty, you could crack your core (or cause severe damage to your shiny new A64).

Q: Does removing the IHS improve cooling?
A: Yes, but at a very high risk.

Q: Why did you do it?
A: I love efficiency...and I'm too cheap to buy a phase transfer setup.

Q: Any other modification necessary to get this to work?
A: I had to remove 2 nylon spacers that my HSF comes with in order to allow me to get enough pressure on the core, but YMMV.

Q: Will this mod get me da' ladies?
A: No, if any girl is attracted to you for your computing prowess, she is:

1. Trying to get you to fix her computer for free.
  2. Teasing you.
  3. Really a man in drag.
  4. Extremely ugly...I mean she has a great personality.
  5. Genuinely interested, in which case you should proceed to marry her.
Q: Will you post more pics, perhaps of your super nifty foamboard air ducting system?
A: Maybe later (upon request).

Nice pictures, I would do it, but I'm too afraid of ripping off some of the cpu packaging or jabbing the core with my knife.

One would just have to be very careful (and go slow) and use a high quality exacto knife with a sharp (preferably new) blade.

Great post... thanks for the pictures and the temperature differences. I am surprised that the load temp was so much lower without the heatspreader.

I wasn't too surprised, when the IHS slab between the hsf was eliminated, heat transfer is much more efficient minus a buffer (the IHS) dorking things up.

I heard of some (patient) people pulling this off with dental floss...
But that's pretty cool (haha get it?) of you. Which A64 and what core is it?
Was there anything engraved on the core itself?
And yes, post the pics of that super nifty system of yours.

I never really thought of dental floss, too bad I don't know where any is (listerine and brushing are good enough for my chompers).

Which A64 and what core is it?
A64 3200+ Newcastle

Was there anything engraved on the core itself?
I don't recall anything engraved on the core itself, I believe they (AMD) did all their engraving on the IHS.

And yes, post the pics of that super nifty system of yours.
But then others will "jock" my style (even though I got the idea from somebody in the [H] forums), and then everybody will buy up all the good colors of foamboard at the hobby Lobby, then I'll be stuck with purple and carnation!!! I will when I get around to cracking the case open again (must study for a final tonite).

How 'bout some step by steps, or some "while doing you may find that"s

Hobby Lobby rules.

Vette

The whole affair will vary from person to person, due to difference in cooling setup. The cutting of the IHS off is pretty straight forward, insert blade under rebbery adhesive, cut carefully along sides, gently coax IHS off after adhesive has been cut.

The mounting really depends if the person is using a clamp style or spring style hsf retention system. Clamp style may have problems due to the design being designed to clamp onto a chip with the IHS present onto the plastic frame that usually accompanies the mobo, the spring and screw style (like mine) is simply a matter of removing any spacers, maybe throwing a few washers on the screw to compensate for the decreased height of the chip.

Tenchi4U said:
Q: Will this mod get me da' ladies?
A: No, if any girl is attracted to you for your computing prowess, she is:

1. Trying to get you to fix her computer for free.
  2. Teasing you.
  3. Really a man in drag.
  4. Extremely ugly...I mean she has a great personality.
  5. Genuinely interested, in which case you should proceed to marry her.

OMFG! hahahahhahaha :p BTW nice load temps! =)

i'm seriously tempted to see what would happen if i did this and mount my zalman on it. i'm sure i could mod the preloading bar to provide the proper pressure upon the core, but i wouldn't want to have to buy a new cpu in case i go wrong somewhere. i'll look into it once i get a new cpu.. hehe ;)

I know its a bit messy right now, but I'm not done with the ducting system. I am going to redo this ducting system. The foamboard is mostly for template purposes, but it works surprising well.

case1.jpg

The design is pretty rudimentary, basically half the air drawn in by the intake fan is directed to the fan, and the foamboard is elevated about 1.5" above the mobo (which forms the exhaust air channel, which is in turn pulled through the exhaust fan).

With a little revision and a newer design I'm pretty sure I can make it more efficient and redirect sound away from the front or top of the case (I'm going to revise the bend between the hsf and the exhaust fan to begin closer to the hsf, instead of halfway between the two).

ahh.. nice..
i tried to do that with paper in my computer one time.. but the circle zalman proved to be too much of a problem and i never finished it. maybe i should take your lead and use foam instead.. hehe
just make sure you close up that hole in the bottom.. i could see a tad bit o air still be recirculated with that.

There was a card there, I just forgot to put it back in before I took the pic.

Wonder what would this do to a Winchester, with smaller contact area.

/me tempted to go off and look for a sharp knife

what mobo do you have? i'll assume it's something with an active chipset cooler?

Nice load temps!.. I'm definetly going with DTR 3700+, now.. besides the point that DTRs are cheaper, of course :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
what mobo do you have? i'll assume it's something with an active chipset cooler?
Its in the my original post.

A64 3200+ Newcastle running at 210x11 (2.31gHz) 1.5V on an Asus K8VSEDX
As for the northbridge cooler, I ditched the stock one the first day I got the mobo, I use the Northpole northbridge cooler.

Back