Wiring On Super LANBoy (pics)

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Gave my brother his Christmas present early since I happened to be off work and wanted something to do. We tried to make the wires as neat as possible. See what you think. And keep in mind, there were absolutely NO cuts made (yet).

IMG_2178 (Large).JPG

IDE and floppy cables

IMG_2180 (Large).JPG

Closeup of the folds

IMG_2179 (Large).JPG

Snuck the 12v and fan connector in under the PSU

IMG_2181 (Large).JPG

Stuck the uneeded mic and earphone cabes back in the front panel.

IMG_2182 (Large).JPG

Here is the back.

IMG_2187 (Large).JPG

All done :D

IMG_2183 (Large).JPG

With the window on.

Some of the tape came undone so it is showing, but I will probably go back later with my new dremel and make a few cuts.

System specs in case you want them.

Antec Super LANBoy
Antec 350W Smart Power PSU
Abit AI7
Pentium 2.6C
2 x 256MB Crucial PC3200
Samsung SM352
Lite-On 52x CD-RW
WD800JB
some really old 10GB drive
floppy
ATI 9600 AIW Pro

I'd look into sleaving your cables and maybe some rounded cables. The tape is a bit ugly.... Just a personal opinion, im not pissing all over your case, because it is nice. Good work so far, but you're not done.

apHytHiaTe said:
I'd look into sleaving your cables and maybe some rounded cables. The tape is a bit ugly.... Just a personal opinion, im not pissing all over your case, because it is nice. Good work so far, but you're not done.

I might see if he wants to sleeve the power cables going to the CD drives and the USB ones if I have some leftover sleeving when I do my case, other then that I don't see a need to. After making the appropiate cuts, the PSU wires at the top will be gone and the floppy cable should disappear as well.

I don''t think rounded cables would be a good idea, because you can't fold them. If anything, some slightly longer IDE cables would help so I could fold them around a little more.

The only thing that really comes to mind is sleeving, but since you're going to make some cuts that'll hide the largest part of it, then there's no real use. As for rounded cables, stick with the flat ones. The tape is fine, except for one or two spots where it's out in the open.

I think it looks very clean. :D

A quite good idea. I have used the same idea before, and it actually works great. It tidy´s up the case quite a bit, when losing those IDE cables. + you can route them anyway you want depending on which mb you have.
Looking forward to the end result. Perhaps consider sleeving the PSU cables.

TheMostWantedPolishTwin said:
looks pretty clean.. I like how you routed floppy and IDE cables behind the mobo..
Thanks. I've been thinking about the cuts I'll need to make and I think one thing I'll do is run those IDE and floppy cables behind the motherboard tray, that way I'll have a little extra cable when I am trying to route them to the devices.

I think when it's finished it will look really good, can't wait to bust out the dremel and get to work. My brother thinks I'm just helping him out of the goodness of my heart, but really I just wanted some practice before cutting up my Lian Li :D ;)

Bugalaman said:
wth is that? a stock heatsink?

Lol, yeah. I'm gonna trade him my Zalman CNPS 7000A for his old case, but it will have to be after I get something to replace it. Either a CNPS 7000B or WCing ;)

I have a SuperLanboy and you're a magician. Never thought to go behind the PSU like you did, but I suck at routing cables. I got all my extra PSU cables jammed into my 2 empty optical bays. Good ideas man, good ideas.

fireburster said:
arent those ata 66 cables? I know they are longer but doesnt that slow you down?

I don't think so, but if they were I can't see it making any difference as even the WD2000JB doesn't exceed 60MB/s transfer rate.
http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200210/20021018WD2000xB_2.html

They are just regular cables that came with one of the many ATA100 drives I've bought.

Tomorrow is dremel day. :D :D :D

MONST3R said:
looks great, but why not save yourself some trouble and get rounded ide's

Having totally hidden ribbons looks better than exposed rounded. And you can't run the rounded cables under a mobo, they're too thick.

Great work, man.

Did you have any trouble running wires over that hump on the back of the motherboard spot? I wasn't sure if it would close like that so I ran over the top and bottom where I could. Still came out ok though I think. Ripped out my extra not-yet-functional RAID 0 and alot fo the mess kindof disappeared. I think airflow might be a tad better too.

very nice job.... *sigh* i wish my antec plusview had those harddrive bays faced the same way as the lanboy... gay wires sticking out and stuff hehe..

Back