Sony P234 & Samsung 243T. My experience.

mumstead

n00b
I got the Sony about a week ago and have not been completely happy with it. Today I decided to get the Samsung for comparison.

My rig.

With 1 monitor.

Housing and stand:
The Sony is very nice looking with great fit and finish. The glowing Sony logo is cool as are the touch sensitive controls. The cable management is great and completely hidden. The asthetics of this monitor are outstanding. On the downside the stand is quite short, does not allow the screen to rotate, and the tilt angles are less than the Samsung. The Sony does not appear to have a standard VESA bracket so if you want to put it on a monitor arm you are out of luck.
The Samsung also has great fit and finish but is a bit fugly compared to the Sony. It is utilitarian in design but is actually more flexible than the Sony. The stand is height adjustable, has great pivot range, and allows the monitor to rotate into portrait mode.

The Panels:
The Sony panel arrived with 5 stuck pixels. However they are so small it took me a long to find them on a totally black screen. In regular use you cannot see them. The biggest problem with the Sony monitor is a strange reddish-gold sheen when you look at it at the slightest angle. Even the slight angle that the far right and left edges of the screen are from center was enough to make it noticeable. I tried to get a picture of this sheen below.

This is extremely distracting whenever there is a lot of black on the screen. When playing Doom 3 it was unberable. This panel is fast enough to play games with very little blurring.
When playing games that are bright, with few blacks, it was very nice.
I went through 3 Samsungs today to get one that was acceptable. The first one I got had a cluster of 4 adjacent pixels stuck on blue that where visible from accross the room. The second had a group of 10 adjacent grey pixels and about 5 other scarttered grey pixels. the third has 2 stuck subpixels one white and one blue on the edge of the screen. They are so tiny you almost can't see them without magnification. The first thing I noticed was that the Samsung had slightly more vivid, saturated, colors than the Sony. The Sony's colors looked great until I hooked the Samsung up next to it. This really seemed to be the case with blue. If you look at the sky and water color in these shots you can see this.

The Samsung also has truer black and white. It does not have the weird sheen that the Sony has and has very wide viewing angles. I didn't notice the pink whites that other people have seen with the Sony but the Samsung white is "whiter". This is a shot of both screens showing a blank white screen.

Overall the image and color quality are better on the Samsung. However the Samsung is slower than the Sony. I have read much discussion about the speed of this monitor. Some people say they can't tell the difference between the faster 16ms panels and this one. I notice the difference, it is not huge but it is absolutely there. that being said, I am not having any problem gaming on this monitor.

My conclusion:
The Sony is faster, cheaper (about $500), better looking but has narrow viewing angles, and is a bit dim.
The Samsung is slower, more expensive, kinda fugly, and has great image/color quality.

This was a tough decision but I'm keeping the Samsung. Once you see it's nice black and vivid colors it is hard to go back. I wish it was as fast as the Sony but I guess that is the tradeoff you must make for image quality. I hope this helps somebody with thier decision.

Drool.... I really like the samsung. Unfortunately, In canada, the 243 is 2800CAD :eek:
How much did you pay and where did you get it?

I got the Samsung at CompUSA for $1899. Honestly, you would probably be just as happy with the Sony or HP for a lot less money. I may have a Sony for sale cheap if Monitorsdirect is out of business :D The Samsung is a bit better but is the difference in black/color and viewing angle worth $500 to you? For me the viewing angle and the reddish gold sheen when viewing at an angle was the deciding factor.

mumstead said:
I got the Samsung at CompUSA for $1899. Honestly, you would probably be just as happy with the Sony or HP for a lot less money. I may have a Sony for sale cheap if Monitorsdirect is out of business :D The Samsung is a bit better but is the difference in black/color and viewing angle worth $500 to you? For me the viewing angle and the reddish gold sheen when viewing at an angle was the deciding factor.

How about the 1 inch difference between the Samsung & Sony?

whoa. wait. looks like you connected one monitor to the dvi out and the other to the analog/d-sub out and mirrored them on the same video card.

Tboo,
I forgot about the extra inch. In regular use I don't really notice it. This does bring up an interesting point though. The Samsung has a larger "dot pitch". I'm assuming that because both monitors are the same resolution but the Samsung is larger each pixel has to be bigger. This is not really noticeable except when there is a stuck pixel. If you have a bright stuck pixel it is a little more noticeable on the Samsung.

welcomerain,
Not a chance. I used a 6800 Ultra with 2 DVI ports and mirrored the display. Before I started I calibrated both monitors as best I could using Displaymate. I'm considering picking up a Spyder for calibration and doing some more side by side comparisons. I wanted as much of an apples to apples comparison as possible. I guess I should have said that in my first post.

mumstead said:
Tboo,
I forgot about the extra inch. In regular use I don't really notice it. This does bring up an interesting point though. The Samsung has a larger "dot pitch". I'm assuming that because both monitors are the same resolution but the Samsung is larger each pixel has to be bigger. This is not really noticeable except when there is a stuck pixel. If you have a bright stuck pixel it is a little more noticeable on the Samsung.

welcomerain,
Not a chance. I used a 6800 Ultra with 2 DVI ports and mirrored the display. Before I started I calibrated both monitors as best I could using Displaymate. I'm considering picking up a Spyder for calibration and doing some more side by side comparisons. I wanted as much of an apples to apples comparison as possible. I guess I should have said that in my first post.

Thanks for the informative post. Im going to get the 243t or the Sony, but Im still undecided :( Newegg right now has a fantastic deal on the Sony-or I could get the Samsung for $300 more.

Good luck on your decision. My only reservations about the Samsung are the price and the slower pixel response. If not for this I would recommend it without question.

I buy tons of stuff from NewEgg but thier LCD return policy kinda scares me. I have had 6 different LCD monitors on my desk in the last 3 weeks and every one has had stuck/dead pixels and only two of the 6 are what I consider acceptable.

mumstead said:
Good luck on your decision. My only reservations about the Samsung are the price and the slower pixel response. If not for this I would recommend it without question.

I buy tons of stuff from NewEgg but thier LCD return policy kinda scares me. I have had 6 different LCD monitors on my desk in the last 3 weeks and every one has had stuck/dead pixels and only two of the 6 are what I consider acceptable.

I currently have a 213t with its 25ms response time & I really dont notice any ghosting so I dont think going to the 243t( that has the same 25ms responce time) would bother me either

mumstead said:
...snip...

welcomerain,

thank god, because there is a vast difference.

mumstead said:
Tboo,

welcomerain,

By all means DO get the Spyder; you won’t believe the difference it can make. Between that and DisplayMate you will be right on, as a monitor like that should be.

Nice choice :D

Tboo,
If you don't mind the slow refresh of the 213T then the 243T will be just fine. I had the 213T and I could not stand the blurring and smearing when gaming so I returned it. The 243T is better and I find the blurring tolerable.

I have to pick my Sony up at UPS today.....I got the Best deal of all. Picked up an open box of the Sony 23" last years model. It had like 20 dead subpixels which where not noticable unless you put your face 3 inches away on a black background. Sont sent me the new model as a replacement....... I hope it's OK. But for just under $1k it's a great deal.

Mac

I ordered a 243t today. Got it from outpost.com-they have the best deal going right now. Cant wait to get it hooked up

Tried to compare Sammy 243T to the Apple 23 regarding the brightness and the color saturation anyone?

Back