All you RAM overclockers, how do you cool your ram?

KillDFurby

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to setup a fan in my case somehow to blow directly over the ram. I'm going to be putting about 3.4V through these babies and i need to cool em donw some how.

what do you guys recommend?

some say all heat spreaders do is trap heat and remove em.

I have 2 without them on anymore and one of them still has it. I run mine at 3.3v and they're doig fine. I also have a personal fan blowin directly in my case, side panel open.

I have an 80mm Fan suspended over them via twist ties, I'd post shots of it but I got no digital camera ... :(

I don't cool my ram actively at all, and they don't have heatspreaders. Unless your pushing your kinda voltage (over 3.3ish) then you don't need to do anything. You could always get some of those wacked out watercooling blocks for DDR ram, crazy stuff.

But.......If your ram doesnt already have them, don't bother with heatspreaders, they're just marketing wank. Only reason theyput em on is for advertising space and to prevent damage to the module, they don't lower the temps at all. Just mod your case side with a low speed 92mm or even 80mm fan and let it blow over them, simple and clean.

Close to completeing mine:
img00796wu.jpg

and:
img00617gm.jpg

The heatsinks work much better than naked BH-5... although once they get hot, I get the same number of errors in Memtest at unstable speeds as naked sticks, BUT the first couple runs are error-free. The solution - three 40x40x20mm Sunon Maglev fans, each pushing ~22CFM for a total of ~66CFM. :D

hahaha, you're insane iddqd, though i really like that setup.

i just use case airflow cause my ballistix doesn't get hot at 2.65v :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
hahaha, you're insane iddqd, though i really like that setup.

i just use case airflow cause my ballistix doesn't get hot at 2.65v :D
Neh. It's nothing. Once I have enough money, I'll buy a prommy and make an evaporator that would mount on a single-sided 256Mb BH-5 stick so I could take the WR for the highest 2-2-2 clock evar.

hahaha, you're my hero.
i assume you saw the pic of my wicked cardboard in the a64 oc data thread? ;)

Your duct you mean? I'm sure I have.. I subscribed to that thread before you even registered. ;)

hehe, though out of curiousity, why don't you have a cpu anymore?

and, from the looks of it, i may be getting a dfi soon. should be interesting.

iddqd said:
http://img12.exs.cx/img12/2964/img00796wu.jpg[/img
and:
[IMG]http://img12.exs.cx/img12/1250/img00617gm.jpg[/IMG

The heatsinks work much better than naked BH-5... although once they get hot, I get the same number of errors in Memtest at unstable speeds as naked sticks, BUT the first couple runs are error-free. The solution - three 40x40x20mm Sunon Maglev fans, each pushing ~22CFM for a total of ~66CFM. :D[/QUOTE]

Err, what VDIMM makes such cooling necessary? I ordered a pair of TwinMOS SP and intend on running them at 3.2 or 3.3 (I dont need an HTT above 230, heh.) Will naked chips be fine with that vdimm?

robberbaron said:
Err, what VDIMM makes such cooling necessary? I ordered a pair of TwinMOS SP and intend on running them at 3.2 or 3.3 (I dont need an HTT above 230, heh.) Will naked chips be fine with that vdimm?
Yeah. I'm planning to run 4.0vdimm through them.
MaMMa said:
iddqd : I'm assuming noise isnt an issue.
They are actually pretty quiet. And either way, it's not finished only because I haven't implemented fan speed control quite yet. Otherwise, I could just stuff the wires in a molex plug :).

hmm, I might do someting like this, and slap a 80mm fan over both my ram. My OCZ vx can handle 4v

just know that voltage does kill, regardless of temps :D

also, mamma, you have a winchester. they seem to be pretty fragile. be careful that you don't kill your M.C. with that voltage. otherwise, good luck :D

and iddqd, again, what's up with the cpu?

(cf)Eclipse said:
just know that voltage does kill, regardless of temps :D

also, mamma, you have a winchester. they seem to be pretty fragile. be careful that you don't kill your M.C. with that voltage. otherwise, good luck :D

and iddqd, again, what's up with the cpu?

Damn, how about the venice? Would it be able to handle it >?

it is my assumption, esp since it has a 'more robust' memory controller.
we won't really know until a lot of people get ahold of them and start overvolting stuff and seeing how it holds up.

(cf)Eclipse said:
it is my assumption, esp since it has a 'more robust' memory controller.
we won't really know until a lot of people get ahold of them and start overvolting stuff and seeing how it holds up.

AMD knows that people love to OC. Why can't they design a chip that can handle it at default or hardcore OCed? It would totally own if they do.

However, making some that OC well and some that doesn't makes it more fun though :)

hehe, i see. hopefully you'll have better luck with it than baron did.
i guess you have a backup computer of sorts then? :cool:

since i was doing some testing at 2.85v earlier and noticed that one of my sticks was getting hot (the one that is worse at oc'ing.. what a coincidence), i jury rigged a cooling setup. it works, mostly because centrifugal fans put out an ungodly amount of pressure compared to normal axial fans...
but, it's nowhere near as awesome as iddqd's :D

ram1.JPG

ram2.JPG

pretty cramped in that lanboy though :(
as a side note though, the 120mm fan up top there brought down my cpu idle about 3c

(cf)Eclipse said:
pretty cramped in that lanboy though :(
as a side note though, the 120mm fan up top there brought down my cpu idle about 3c

No where near as cramped as mine. I'll try to get a digital camera and take a picture of the inside of my case. It is such a mess.

it took me a lot of time to get it that clean. i'm quite proud of the fact that i have no cables in the heatsink area :D (aside from the connector to the fanmate)

(cf)Eclipse said:
it took me a lot of time to get it that clean. i'm quite proud of the fact that i have no cables in the heatsink area :D (aside from the connector to the fanmate)

Well, the DFI makes you pull the 4 pin around the Zalman cooler.
Here is a rough sketch. The three yellow bars below the zalman are the DIMM slots.

hot drawing. though i think i know what you mean. the 12v plug is in a bad spot on the dfi. you'll notice in my picture that i used a twist tie to hold it to my rear case fan. holds it out of the way relatively well.

(cf)Eclipse said:
hot drawing. though i think i know what you mean. the 12v plug is in a bad spot on the dfi. you'll notice in my picture that i used a twist tie to hold it to my rear case fan. holds it out of the way relatively well.
Aren''t I an MSPAINT protegé?

Yeah, looks like the MSI has it in a similar place as the Soltek. The only complaint about placement of things on the soltek was the huge heatsink on the chipset that made removing the video card nearly impossible.

iddqd said:
img00796wu.jpg

and:
img00617gm.jpg

The heatsinks work much better than naked BH-5... although once they get hot, I get the same number of errors in Memtest at unstable speeds as naked sticks, BUT the first couple runs are error-free. The solution - three 40x40x20mm Sunon Maglev fans, each pushing ~22CFM for a total of ~66CFM. :D

I'm happy you got rid of the gharish colors in the LanParty although it's not perfect. How did you color over the UV components?

This is all I have cooling my ram:
cables4qf.jpg

Secondary 80mm fan attached to the 92mm fan. I used to have a 120mm fan on a Zalman bracket blowing over the whole system, NB, memory, etc.

robberbaron said:
The only complaint about placement of things on the soltek was the huge heatsink on the chipset that made removing the video card nearly impossible.
yeah, i can't get to the lever with my finger. i have to stick an eraser tip or something down there to get my card out :(
(which is often to clean out the dust.. you can probably see that i need to clean it now actually.)

Spare-Flair said:
I'm happy you got rid of the gharish colors in the LanParty although it's not perfect. How did you color over the UV components?

This is all I have cooling my ram:
http://img189.exs.cx/img189/7584/cables4qf.jpg
Secondary 80mm fan attached to the 92mm fan. I used to have a 120mm fan on a Zalman bracket blowing over the whole system, NB, memory, etc.
Thanks! Hmm... I used a small paintbrush (well actually, 2 sizes, I bought them at a hobby store). I don't have any good enamel, so what I had to do is spray some automotive paint in a plastic shell from a Kinder Surprise, and wait till it dries enough so that it's viscous and won't run down right away. I suppose hobby enamel would work much better, but I was too lazy to buy any.

Actually, it looks much better when it's inside a case. The thing is, the yellow parts are not visible when you plug in all the applicable connectors (floppy, IDE, SATA, etc) The yellow jumper connectors on the bottom, I only painted on the sides. My front USB connectors go there, so you won't get to see it. On the bottom PCI slot, I left an area unpainted because there's a warranty sticker there that I can't remove/paint over (otherwise my warranty is gone, and DFI doesn't care if I paint the slots apparently). The only thing is the holes on the two uncovered slots (one PCI and one AGP) you can still see yellow down there at certain angles.. I suppose I'll get some thicker paint, and try to flood those little holes with it. The bottom PCI slot will be used for my relay card, I'll post pics a bit later. You'll see what the blue cover is for :).

By the way, you got a very nice and clean setup there! It has the seal of my approval ;).
(cf)Eclipse said:
yeah, i can't get to the lever with my finger. i have to stick an eraser tip or something down there to get my card out :(
(which is often to clean out the dust.. you can probably see that i need to clean it now actually.)
Oy! I hate those clips. Notice the difference in AGP slots between my DFI board and stock:
lanparty250stock0ur.gif

and mine:
lanparty250modded9qw.jpg

Yup, the clip is gone.

haha, nice. i can't do that. if you look at the power cable coming out of my psu to the video card, it's thick. if the card isn't clipped in all the way, when i fidget about in my case, the video card moves in it's slot. not a good thing :eek:

i took some more pictures. there are two main trouble spots with the cables in my case. it's gonna get worse when i get my fanbay with thermal monitoring.

case.JPG

here's the top. where it's kinda annoying
trouble1.JPG

and the bottom, where i have nowhere to put all the case wires. i might try to tuck them between the mobo tray and back case door next time i rebuild my computer.
trouble2.JPG

Can't you just screw down the video card's bracket to the case? My video card is much heavier than yours, and i'm not having these problems ;).

i did, but the lanboy is relatively thin aluminum. not sturdy enough for me. :p

Well, actually I prefer to call it Powmax Cyborg. It looks so different, Powmax wouldn't recognize it!

Nice job iddqd, I was always thinking that if I when I moved onto A64, I'd have to get a DFI board but sadly, they don't make the great Infinity series anymore which has "normal" colors and a bargain price.I don't like the gharish UV parts on the Lanparty and I was thinking up ways to change the color of the components, from elaborate masking and spraying, to desoldering and it was just a mess. I figured I'd just make foam blocks that covered the slots with a slit in the middle so the cards could still fit in. Did DFI actually tell you that they didn't mind if you painted it?

Where did you get those mini copper ramsinks for your mosfets? And where did you get the blue PCI slot covers?

Back