Big Unit moves in!

Strikemaster

[H]ard|Gawd
Checking over the garden, I found this running on the A64 machine:

p1135_RIBO_FSpeptide_HEL, 82 day deadline. 600 points! :eek:

FAHCore_78 currently holding 108 meg of memory to itself, so 256 meg machines need not apply if you're running XP.

unhappy_mage said:
so I take it you've got big packets turned on, then?
Yep, just never knew if I'd see anything out of it.

Now I know what a "big packet" looks like. :D The work directory on the A64 is around 23 meg, while the same directory on other rigs is about 9 - 11 meg. Thank goodness for broadband, I'm not sure how long it'll take to upload the results on a 33.6k dial-up. Come to think of it, Stanford might have included that in the deadline calculation. ;)

I've got two of them "Big Units" going right now - and possibly a third although that computer isn't near me so I don't know. It sure does bring in the points, though - over 1700 PPW on my Athlon64 3200+ 1.0 MB Cache.

AtomicMoose said:
I am so glad this is the Distributed Computing forum....that title is misleading. :eek:

Man I knew it. Say the words “Big Unit” and who shows up but the moose:D

BillR said:
Man I knew it. Say the words “Big Unit” and who shows up but the moose:D

Tis the season! :eek:

moose5.gif

Buckus said:
I've got two of them "Big Units" going right now - and possibly a third although that computer isn't near me so I don't know. It sure does bring in the points, though - over 1700 PPW on my Athlon64 3200+ 1.0 MB Cache.

I'd love to claim the same for this 3000+ Newcastle, BUT...

The machine is my gaming rig, which brings along with it the instability of fun stuff such as EA's "Need For Speed" series and LO:MAC, a really nifty fighter sim with a learning curve as steep as a cliff. I've blue-screened this beast about four times, and EVERY STINKIN' TIME, that Big Unit fails a saving throw vs Microsoft and reverts to starting over.

Even when I gracefully shut down the client, it screws up. "Digital signature mismatch", it throws out everything, fails to download properly for about 10 tries, then gets another 600-point to start the 3-day chewathon.

And so it goes.

BTW, nice thread hijack, Moose & Co. :D

Fat guy in a red suit who leaves me stuff i have to exchange every year... or a dude who's name is usually reserved for a total party animal frat boy who always gets you in trouble... but manages to get the fly honeys to come around....... let me think.....

Strikemaster said:
I'd love to claim the same for this 3000+ Newcastle, BUT...

The machine is my gaming rig, which brings along with it the instability of fun stuff such as EA's "Need For Speed" series and LO:MAC, a really nifty fighter sim with a learning curve as steep as a cliff. I've blue-screened this beast about four times, and EVERY STINKIN' TIME, that Big Unit fails a saving throw vs Microsoft and reverts to starting over.

Even when I gracefully shut down the client, it screws up. "Digital signature mismatch", it throws out everything, fails to download properly for about 10 tries, then gets another 600-point to start the 3-day chewathon.

And so it goes.

BTW, nice thread hijack, Moose & Co. :D

Interesting, I’m not playing with any of the 600 pointers, but I have yet to be able to blue screen a 64 bit machine (over clocked and all). Running folding, backing up a DVD and even running a game all at once won’t do it.

I have had a freeze now and then but have yet to drop a WU as a result. Maybe you went too bleeding edge? ;)

Santa must have put a good word in for me, with the folks at Stanford. 2 of my systems have been on a steady diet of these things for over a week. Averaging @ 52 hrs. per. 400 step tinkers seem to take just as long.

Mauli said:
how do u check the united size?? :confused: i have the text console
Look in your pants....:D

If memory serves, just look at the log and see what protien you have and then go to Stanfords sites and look it up....or user EM created by our own Larry the Weatherman. He does all the work for you.

Stressed main rig? :rolleyes:

^-^-^@@^-^-^
===-(. .)-------;
-----------| |-- ¿| |
----------^^----^^

BillR said:
Interesting, I’m not playing with any of the 600 pointers, but I have yet to be able to blue screen a 64 bit machine (over clocked and all). Running folding, backing up a DVD and even running a game all at once won’t do it.

I have had a freeze now and then but have yet to drop a WU as a result. Maybe you went too bleeding edge? ;)

I'm sure the problem lies with the current XP installation. It's been running on three consecutive motherboards, so I know there's a driver issue in there. It's one of those deals, you get a comfortable setup, lots of programs set up "just so", and you hate to reload and lose it.

It is barely breathed on as far as an overclock (2.05GHZ vs 2.00GHz stock), how bleeding edge can that be? :(

Strikemaster said:
I'm sure the problem lies with the current XP installation. It's been running on three consecutive motherboards, so I know there's a driver issue in there. It's one of those deals, you get a comfortable setup, lots of programs set up "just so", and you hate to reload and lose it.

It is barely breathed on as far as an overclock (2.05GHZ vs 2.00GHz stock), how bleeding edge can that be? :(

Check out this thread. It may come in handy for you. One of these days, I'm going to try it myself. Due to a hard drive going bad on me I wasn't able to the last time I swapped motherboards.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307

SmokeRngs said:
Check out this thread. It may come in handy for you. One of these days, I'm going to try it myself. Due to a hard drive going bad on me I wasn't able to the last time I swapped motherboards.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307

Many thanks!

Bookmarked and emailed to a buddy of mine who does this for a "living". For the record, this install started on a Tyan S2460 as XP RTM, then to Asus A7N8X-X, to the current MSI K8N Neo Platinum, getting the Service Paks along the way. It also has had four different vid cards (Nvidia, 2 ATIs and Matrox), along with the SATA/DVD NF3-250Gb driver screwup. As you might expect, I'll still be doing the "slash 'n burn", but this should keep the next upgrade a lot shorter. :D

RedShred said:
wow...

Add another expense... hehe.

"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!" -- Bill Gates, 1981

I am sorry to be a dick here but did he really say that? He seems to deny ever having said it according to cnn. Are there any positive links to support it? Or is it this guy on slashdot heard it from this guy who once looked over a gate at Redmond deal again? I always see this come up and the people who say he said it never seem to find a real concrete link........all I ever see are forum posts saying he said it.

Strikemaster said:
Many thanks!

Bookmarked and emailed to a buddy of mine who does this for a "living". For the record, this install started on a Tyan S2460 as XP RTM, then to Asus A7N8X-X, to the current MSI K8N Neo Platinum, getting the Service Paks along the way. It also has had four different vid cards (Nvidia, 2 ATIs and Matrox), along with the SATA/DVD NF3-250Gb driver screwup. As you might expect, I'll still be doing the "slash 'n burn", but this should keep the next upgrade a lot shorter. :D

What sysprep does (or seems to do) is remove all the enumerator settings in the registry. I’ve done it manually and managed to get some pretty good mileage from swapping my main drive that way. Pop the drive in and it just looks for the “new hardware” like a fresh install.

Heh, I know the feeling of having that “special configuration” that works just for you. I too get stuck in my ways. ;)

Man,

I knew about those 600 pointers, but to see one on the EMIII screen is impressive. Too bad it showed up on one of my slower boxes.

Been getting these babies non-stop for the last 2 weeks on my bigger PIV's, gotta love the power.

just picked one up on one of the cpus on my main dualy rig... 2.55ghz xeon 70 hours. not bad for 600 points ;)

Hito Bahadur said:
Man,

I knew about those 600 pointers, but to see one on the EMIII screen is impressive. Too bad it showed up on one of my slower boxes.
No kidding! The picture looks crazy when you're used to your small little WUs! I just got my first 600 pointer a couple hours ago on my main rig :)

Bodega said:
just picked one up on one of the cpus on my main dualy rig... 2.55ghz xeon 70 hours. not bad for 600 points ;)

About 74 hours for my Opteron 240 (the one it is on). Any word on how stable they are?

Hito Bahadur said:
About 74 hours for my Opteron 240 (the one it is on). Any word on how stable they are?

i hope theyre pretty damn stable.. i'd hate to have it screw up after a couple days of hard work

Bodega said:
i hope theyre pretty damn stable.. i'd hate to have it screw up after a couple days of hard work

I had 3 of the 300+ Gromacs die on me on various different boxes that have never choked on any other WU. My 240 is a stable CPU although flaky Asus motherboard. It hasn't lost a WU yet.

Bout 28.5 min/step on my encoding rig now @3.6. 33min/step on my 3.06. Every single WU sent to these 2 boxes for the last 14 days has been a 600 pointer. Moved up 30 places on the team in a week. Waiting for Marty to blow by. Got a "keep on folding" salute ready.

about 32 min per step on my rig in my signature. About 50 minutes per step on Athlon 2400+ at stock speed, 768 MB RAM.

I've my first one here.
Around 50 mins ( 51:37) as well on a 2400+ at 2.1 Ghz.
So a nice 3.3 PpHpG for 86 hours work.

Luck.......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Do you have to use the -advmethod to get these WU's? Or on the boxen you've gotten these are you using that switch?

Thanks,
Marty

You need to configure the client to accept big packet work units.
Check in your clent.cfg file.

Mine reads
[settings]
username=Tigerbiten
team=33
asknet=no
bigpackets=yes
machineid=1
local=166

So you may need to run the client once with the -config or -configonly switch set so that you can get the big packet work.
The -forceasm switch is just to make sure you run with SSE boost.
The -advmethods switch will turn the client to a Beta testing platform. If You run a FAH client with this switch then occasionally/constantly this client will be fed with experimental Cores and WUs so at the worst case there may be (some?) crashes and degradation of received points.
I use the -forceasm & -local switches.

Luck.......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Just stopped up to the farm, got 4 of them. 104 hours to complete on those boxen, 138 ppd. I'm still debating switching to all small blocks. This whole scoring deal is confusing.

Got some boxen having trouble, mainly 2 notebooks. Guess that's to be expected. So what is the general overall fail rate on these? Seems like good boxen just poop out every now and again.

Marty

marty9876 said:
Just stopped up to the farm, got 4 of them. 104 hours to complete on those boxen, 138 ppd. I'm still debating switching to all small blocks. This whole scoring deal is confusing.

Got some boxen having trouble, mainly 2 notebooks. Guess that's to be expected. So what is the general overall fail rate on these? Seems like good boxen just poop out every now and again.

Marty

I've just had problems with a couple of the high priority Gromacs (300+) WU's, but they were said to be unstable. The rest of the WU's have been very stable for me (over about 9 computers, 3 Laptops).

I don't have nearly the number of boxen most of you have, but I've run 11 or 12 of the 600 pointers with zero failure. Got 2 more going now, closest to finishing is 75 steps into it. Ported the OS the other is running on, across to a faster raid array with no ill effect. Hopefully it'll run a little faster. Thank goodness either machine can finish one in under 60 hours.

Back