Arctic Cooling Freezer 7

lexcruiser

Weaksauce
Does anyone have personal experience w/ this HSF? Read some decent reviews on it on the web but wanted some user feedback as well. Searched the archives and didn't come up w/ much...

Oh. And this is my first post. Yay!

Here's a link:
Clicky

**UPDATE**
Check my reply near the bottom! Great HSF!

No idea about the cooler but I'd stay away from Jabtech, heard some not pretty stories about shopping experience with them. Just a heads-up

Weird. I've ordered from Jab-Tech twice in the past 2 weeks. I placed the orders at night and by noon the next day, I received shipping confirmation emails with tracking numbers. Great experiences in my opinion.

I've personally had positive experiences with jab-tech and I think their prices are respectable, as well as shipping.

They only have a couple hundred reviews on resellerratings but the average just happens to be 9.75............

Ok.
Just installed the new Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 along w/ some Arctic Silver 5 instead of the generic thermal paste it came with....
AND MY IDLE CPU TEMPS DROPPED FROM 50C TO 35C!!!
WOW!

I was expecting a small change from the stock Intel HSF but this drastic drop was a very welcome surprise!
I know it'll take about a week for the Arctic Silver to "break-in" so maybe the temps will drop even more...

And as for the previous comments about Jab-Tech, this was my first time using them... I placed the order yesterday afternoon and received my order today around 7pm, using their standard UPS delivery. Not bad!

Hopefully these temps stay consistent as time passes. I know I should probably wait a week before I get comfortable, but this was just too exciting to not share.
:) :) :)

Damn, that's a nice drop. My temps are high but I don't know why. I idle around 38-40C and load at 50. Running A64 3200 winchester with XP-90 heatsink and ambient temp of 27-30c.

I've tried reseating the heatsink and used varying amounts of AS5 but all the same. I haven't overclocked yet because of the high temps :(

johngvo said:
Damn, that's a nice drop. My temps are high but I don't know why. I idle around 38-40C and load at 50. Running A64 3200 winchester with XP-90 heatsink and ambient temp of 27-30c.

I've tried reseating the heatsink and used varying amounts of AS5 but all the same. I haven't overclocked yet because of the high temps :(

Hmm.. Are you following the AS instructions for applying the AS5? I only used a tiny smidgen as directed for the P4 cpu's....
Idling around 38-40C isn't bad is it? My temps under load before were up to about 68-70C. I'm running a Prescott 3ghz on an Asus P5AD2 deluxe... I 'overclocked' using the Asus booster util but didn't crank it up too much. It runs good for what I need it for, but your temps sound reasonable.... no? Or maybe I'm just naive. :cool:

But like I said, hopefully my temps continue to go down as the AS5 'breaks-in.'
I'll keep you updated.

very odd

every review ive seen of that cooler (by every i mean 2) has it coming in marginally above the stock cooler.

However if your getting temps like that good for you.

BigTaf said:
very odd

every review ive seen of that cooler (by every i mean 2) has it coming in marginally above the stock cooler.

However if your getting temps like that good for you.

I think the AS5 played a big part in the drop also. The thermal paste on the CPU previously was just kinda 'smeared' on. I cleaned that mess up and applied the AS5.

The reviews had it marginally above the stock as in above quality or above in temps (uh-oh)?

Hey Lex,

I am so happy your Freezer 7 worked for you... I ordered mine last monday from NewEgg and it's at home today from Fedex... I will installed in a couple of hours after I'm done from work.

I was debating between the TT-Tower112 and the TR XP-120 and I thought they were way to big and heavy plus you have to buy fans. I was checking some reviews and found out the AC F7 had some great reviews but the product is quite new so nobody has much knowledge about it.

I decided to buy it. When I saw the design I really liked it .

I just bought the AS5 thermal paste cause I don't want to risk it the one it brings MX-1.

So far with my Stock HS I'm getting 41c. Idle and 65c. Load on a P4 3.2 @ 3.5 Prescott LGA775.

I have been eating my finger nails all these days cause nobody seems to talk about this product and it's so affordable.. $32

I will post my results tonight... wish me luck :)

xXxDieselxXx said:
Hey Lex,

I am so happy your Freezer 7 worked for you... I ordered mine last monday from NewEgg and it's at home today from Fedex... I will installed in a couple of hours after I'm done from work.

I was debating between the TT-Tower112 and the TR XP-120 and I thought they were way to big and heavy plus you have to buy fans. I was checking some reviews and found out the AC F7 had some great reviews but the product is quite new so nobody has much knowledge about it.

I decided to buy it. When I saw the design I really liked it .

I just bought the AS5 thermal paste cause I don't want to risk it the one it brings MX-1.

So far with my Stock HS I'm getting 41c. Idle and 65c. Load on a P4 3.2 @ 3.5 Prescott LGA775.

I have been eating my finger nails all these days cause nobody seems to talk about this product and it's so affordable.. $32

I will post my results tonight... wish me luck :)

41C idle isn't too bad either eh? But good luck w/ the install! Let us know how well it works out for you...

One thing tho. The instructions mentioned that the fan should be facing the back of the case so that the exhaust fan can draw out the hot hair from the HSF. Unfortunately, the ACF7 is kinda bulky and wouldn't bolt down properly since the fan on the heatsink was hitting my chasis fan! Had to point it downwards toward the bottom of the case... ahh well. =P

Woooohooo..! I love this Freezer...! + Arctic Silver 5

Easy to install, not heavy, nice looking, quiet and for $32. And it works like magic...

Damn..! I'm soo happy I didn't make the wrong decision..

So far I have a P4 3.2 Prescott @ 3.8

Stock Cooling: Idle: 41c Load: 65c or so @ 3.3

AC Freezer 7: Idle: 39c Load: 55c- @ 3.8

I have room to go at higher overclock but I'm going to keep watching at 3.8 for now.

Check this out:

Idle_3.3.JPG

Load_3.3.JPG

Idle_3.8.JPG

Load_3.8.JPG

Sweet pics. I've read several reviews on this heatsink tonight and I'm thinking I might just have to swap my month old 7700alcu out for one. And the zalman looked so pretty too...

EDIT: Just placed my order. It looks like this heatsink comes with some pretty sweet newish looking thermal paste. I've got a tube of AS5, but am tempted to try out the stuff sold with the heatsink itself. If this heatsink is so damn good maybe the MX-1 paste it comes with is worth a try too.

Nice ..! Let me know how it goes with the MX-1 thermal paste... I chicken out and placed AS5 instead.. :D

I was also debating on buying the Zalman... but somehow I went for heat pipe solution better..

why would you trade your 7700 for that?!?!!

omg! thats insane lol, i have a 7700cu and its nice, i wish my mobo reported temps properly though

Why switch you ask?

Because my 7700alcu is quiet, but doesn't even cool as well as the stock intel lga775 cooler when the fan on the zalman is set to high. The Freezer 7 should knock around 5-10C off my load temps with very low noise levels and no need to fiddle with a speed adjustment.

According to tomshardware (sketchy I know) the 7700alcu on high has a thermal resistance of either .25 or .26 compared with the Freezer 7's advertised resistance of .19. That's a pretty big gap if you ask me so I'm expecting a significant performance improvement for no noise increase.

Plus I got the Freezer 7 from Directron for less than $30 shipped.

That has got to be the most inefficient use of a fan I've ever seen. You guys say this works well? Try wrapping some kind of shroud around that fan, I bet you could knock at least 3 more degrees off your temps.

zer0signal667 said:
That has got to be the most inefficient use of a fan I've ever seen. You guys say this works well? Try wrapping some kind of shroud around that fan, I bet you could knock at least 3 more degrees off your temps.

You can call it whatever you want... the fact is I'm very happy with it and today the second day I have it on idle at 38c and load 52c @ 3.8 Gigs

And the loudest part of my system is the video card X800 XT PE. I can't even hear the Freezer.

Also if you check the picture the fan is pushing the air up and going to the PS's exhaust fan...

Overall every solution is good or better than the Intel or AMD stock.

I'm just posting the results of the option I decided to get. I'm very happy... I don't need more... in 2 weeks I will go to 4 Gigs and I'll stay there... that was my goal :)

xXxDieselxXx said:
You can call it whatever you want... the fact is I'm very happy with it and today the second day I have it on idle at 38c and load 52c @ 3.8 Gigs

And the loudest part of my system is the video card X800 XT PE. I can't even hear the Freezer.

Also if you check the picture the fan is pushing the air up and going to the PS's exhaust fan...

Overall every solution is good or better than the Intel or AMD stock.

I'm just posting the results of the option I decided to get. I'm very happy... I don't need more... in 2 weeks I will go to 4 Gigs and I'll stay there... that was my goal :)

This is what I'm saying about the fan... These type of fans tend to create sort of a vortex pattern of outgoing air, it doesn't come straight out of the fan and keep going in a nice line. If there were a shroud on there it would greatly increase control over airflow. This fan doesn't even have a casing/frame around it to keep air from flying out sideways and separate its intake/exhaust areas. This is like shorting out your car battery and wondering why your headlights are dimmer than usual. Remove the short circuit, headlights get more juice --> control airflow, heatsink gets more air.

zer0signal667 said:
This is what I'm saying about the fan... These type of fans tend to create sort of a vortex pattern of outgoing air, it doesn't come straight out of the fan and keep going in a nice line. If there were a shroud on there it would greatly increase control over airflow. This fan doesn't even have a casing/frame around it to keep air from flying out sideways and separate its intake/exhaust areas. This is like shorting out your car battery and wondering why your headlights are dimmer than usual. Remove the short circuit, headlights get more juice --> control airflow, heatsink gets more air.

I got ya..! :)

I got your point.. sorry I misunderstood your comment... hmm I wonder if there will be a way to customize it by mounting a different fan... that will be a future project.. :D

Thank You...

xXxDieselxXx said:

I got your point.. sorry I misunderstood your comment... hmm I wonder if there will be a way to customize it by mounting a different fan... that will be a future project.. :D

Thank You...

Where there's a will, there's a way :D

xXxDieselxXx said:

Thank You...

Make sure to post pics if you do it! :D

Could anyone who hasn't posted their's yet post their freezer 7 temps and the temps from their previous cooling setup?

grenadier said:
Because my 7700alcu is quiet, but doesn't even cool as well as the stock intel lga775 cooler when the fan on the zalman is set to high.
The stock LGA775 cooling solution from Intel is actually pretty good. Even the thermal pad that's stuck onto there is pretty good.

_Korruption_ said:
The stock LGA775 cooling solution from Intel is actually pretty good. Even the thermal pad that's stuck onto there is pretty good.

Sure it gives decent temps, but it's way too loud.

EDIT: Also, does anyone have anything to say about MX-1 vs. AS5?

grenadier said:
Sure it gives decent temps, but it's way too loud.

EDIT: Also, does anyone have anything to say about MX-1 vs. AS5?

Regarding the MX-1, I was about to use it but I really chicken out and went for the sure road... I Applied the AS5 with the Freezer 7 and oh boy I'm happy... after few days my idle temperatures are around 37-38c average and load 53c. At 3.8 Gigs.

Could not be more happy... BTW I applied the AS5 just like the instruction said. Just put a little drop of AS5 on the middle of the chip aand pushed the HS on a gentle way clockwise and counterclock. No credit card trick or any fancy stuff. Also I put some AS5 paste on the HS and wiped out as shown on the instructions. :)

lexcruiser said:
Ok.
Just installed the new Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 along w/ some Arctic Silver 5 instead of the generic thermal paste it came with....
AND MY IDLE CPU TEMPS DROPPED FROM 50C TO 35C!!!
WOW!

I was expecting a small change from the stock Intel HSF but this drastic drop was a very welcome surprise!
I know it'll take about a week for the Arctic Silver to "break-in" so maybe the temps will drop even more...

And as for the previous comments about Jab-Tech, this was my first time using them... I placed the order yesterday afternoon and received my order today around 7pm, using their standard UPS delivery. Not bad!

Hopefully these temps stay consistent as time passes. I know I should probably wait a week before I get comfortable, but this was just too exciting to not share.
:) :) :)

Just wanted to give another update.
As of today, ~4 days after installing the ACF7 w/ the AS5, my idle temps have dropped further to 30C from 35C @ idle last week and that was from 50C @ idle w/ the stock HSF. I wonder if it'll continue to drop? :p

lexcruiser said:
Just wanted to give another update.
As of today, ~4 days after installing the ACF7 w/ the AS5, my idle temps have dropped further to 30C from 35C @ idle last week and that was from 50C @ idle w/ the stock HSF. I wonder if it'll continue to drop? :p

I really can't wait for mine to show up later this week. I'm stoked.

grenadier said:
I really can't wait for mine to show up later this week. I'm stoked.

Trust me this HS rocks.... I'm just can't get enough of how nice my temperatures are... I wish I did this long time ago.

whomever has that 7700alcu/cu, please tell what kind of temps your getting when you receive it

My temps right now with the 7700alcu are around 43C idle and 62C load for my lga755 2.8 @ 3.5. My voltage has not been boosted for this OC.

My Freezer 7 came in the mail today. Only problem is I can't get at the damn thing since UPS dropped it off at my neighbor's house and they're not home. I can see it through their front door and am SO tempted to just slip in real quick to grab the package. Bloody hell...

I'll hopefully be able to post temps tonight if someone is around over at their house, but if not I should have them up sometime tomorrow.

grenadier said:
My Freezer 7 came in the mail today. I'll hopefully be able to post temps tonight, but if not I should have them up sometime tomorrow.

Great news...! Can't wait to see your results.... I'm very happy with mine..

Good luck... post some pics if you can
:D

grenadier said:
My Freezer 7 came in the mail today. Only problem is I can't get at the damn thing since UPS dropped it off at my neighbor's house and they're not home. I can see it through their front door and am SO tempted to just slip in real quick to grab the package. Bloody hell...

I'll hopefully be able to post temps tonight if someone is around over at their house, but if not I should have them up sometime tomorrow.

Damned UPS... I like FedEx better. BTW, I know someone using a F7 and says its working pretty well. Maybe I should get one to replace my stock HS. Hmmmm...

They need to make this for the 478 prescott, as the Freezer 4 isn't as good as the Freezer 7. Same chip, same heat given off, I wonder if I could mod it to fit my socket. :/

Just got mine installed. Temps so far aren't that much better than my 7700. I'm going to give the AS5 a few hours at full load to spread out better across the heatspreader before I post my temps.

grenadier said:
Just got mine installed. Temps so far aren't that much better than my 7700. I'm going to give the AS5 a few hours at full load to spread out better across the heatspreader before I post my temps.

Sad to hear.. I must be lucky I guess :(

Temps @ 3.5 are 41C Idle / 54C Load. That's about 10 degrees off my load temps before the AS5 even begins to set properly. And this is compared to the 7700 at it's highest setting which was bleeding loud (still not as bad as stock though). If I ran the 7700 at a comparable noise level my load temps would be in the mid-70s. So far I'm really very impressed with this heatsink. No noise + a 10C drop in temps is pretty bad ass.

I'm going to give it a few days to set then I'm going to up the voltage and see how much higher I can go on this chip. I probably won't be able to get it up much higher though cause the sata on my AA8 board stops working properly around 265 fsb.

Thanks to everyone else in this thread for helping reassure me about dropping my $ on this new-on-the-block unit.

Back