Help Me Plan A Home Network ;) (many pictures)

Tman

Gawd
Hello Everyone ;)
First Off
I do have a thread for a Gameing Server in another thread and that is going to be the server that I am going to be useing here to to host my games. (i just wanted to put the 2 together)

I am also A complet nOoB to many areas of computers and etc but please stick with me I am a fast learner.

I do not have a T1 yet but working on it

What I want to do-

-Take the T1 and Provide Wi Fi for as big of an area as i can
-Setup my Game Server
-Make it where I can acces and control the Game Server Remotly
-Setup a home network

Here Is a pictrue of my house (sorry for the far out view)
GetImageArea.jpg

this color shows the main areas that I want to be Wi-Fi
this color is the boards of my land that hopefully can get some wifi (I realy really realise that i can not cover 25 acers of land cover I just want my main living areas covered)
GetImageArea3.jpg

Picture of my room that I would like to set up the server and gaming machines (gray box IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM is the server case thingey)
roomidea.bmp

Pictures of the server tower case that I would like to put the net working in
door open
serversetupidea.bmp

door closed (glass window and 4 green fans for venting)
serversetupidea2.bmp

really would like form you guys-
choose a good 24 port router,
set up Wi-Fi,
set up 2 printers on a network that can be acced by any computers

Thanks Guys I hope I set up this thread well enough for you guys to be able to easly understand what I would like to really do.

Now For the Story Behind This-

For almost 2 or 3 years now about 7 homes in my area have not been able to get any time of High Speed Internet (good old dial up) besides Satilate, which I am not a fan of at all.

We have also tried time and time again to get Charter or any other high speed companys to service our area but no one has ran a line to us. And we keep getting the same line
Charter- a phone call "hello this is charter with a great offer for you to get our high speed 3mb server"
our responce- We have 7 homes in my area that are DIEING FOR YOUR SERVICE WHEN CAN YOU GIVE IT TO US"
Charter- Servcie truck comes out... "O sorry, we cant run a line tour guyes house we cant run a line to you now"
Charter- to days later "hello this is charter with a great offer................"

And because of that Teasing Bull ____ we (7 neighbors) have decided to get and run our own T1 connection :) happy Day

And yes this thing will get used
1 neightbor makes a liveing on Ebay and etc and needs to host his sites and get off dial up.
2ed neighbor Teaches a Collage Computer Course at SIUE
3ed is my Aunt who has a digital image company and does outher things on her Mac
4-6 are just home owners with kids and hate dial up too
7th is me and I really want to setup my own site and host games for me and my friends.

(we do not have the T1 now this is just all planing)

Boy, are you sure a T1 is enough. It might be better with something bigger. I used to live in a house with 8 college students, and we beat our 4 Mbit cable connection like a rented mule. I guess it depends on how much you guys can afford to spend on this project.

I agree with Darkstar.... you might want to seriously evaluate your expected usage here on this T1. Your Game servers will saturate the T1 pretty well all by itself. Where does that leave ebay-guy's site? or the other 5 families? Remember, the money you spend on a T1 goes to it's reliability, not it's speed.

Honestly, here's what you do:

1 - forget about running a game server on this connection
2 - tell eBay guy to go find a good webhost. Depending on his needs, he can get cheap website and email hosting that should fit his needs.
3 - I dont know how demanding you're going to be on that switch, but look into an HP 2124.

Have you thought about how you're going to get your neighbors connected? I cant tell from the pic how far away they are, but chances are you're not gonna wanna trench and lay conduit to run cable though. That leaves Wireless. From the look on that pic, I can almost guarantee you that you're looking at mounting antenna's externally. Either give us a picture that includes the neighbors house, or at least tell us approximately how far away and in which direction relative to your house that they are. Also, let us know their elevation relative to yours, and if there are any large obstructions blocking line of site between you and them.

See how this can get complicated really quickly.

Get Sonet, its only 9,999 an second, dont want to know the price though :p
I'd go with an T3 if you could float the bill, and while your at it, run fiber to all the houses :p
lol... well we can dream atleast

Nybbles said:
I agree with Darkstar.... you might want to seriously evaluate your expected usage here on this T1. Your Game servers will saturate the T1 pretty well all by itself. Where does that leave ebay-guy's site? or the other 5 families? Remember, the money you spend on a T1 goes to it's reliability, not it's speed.

Honestly, here's what you do:

1 - forget about running a game server on this connection
2 - tell eBay guy to go find a good webhost. Depending on his needs, he can get cheap website and email hosting that should fit his needs.
3 - I dont know how demanding you're going to be on that switch, but look into an HP 2124.

Have you thought about how you're going to get your neighbors connected? I cant tell from the pic how far away they are, but chances are you're not gonna wanna trench and lay conduit to run cable though. That leaves Wireless. From the look on that pic, I can almost guarantee you that you're looking at mounting antenna's externally. Either give us a picture that includes the neighbors house, or at least tell us approximately how far away and in which direction relative to your house that they are. Also, let us know their elevation relative to yours, and if there are any large obstructions blocking line of site between you and them.

See how this can get complicated really quickly.

Exactly, you can forget the games server, it's going to use too much bandwidth, and there are a million places to to connect to for that anyways.

As far as the connections to other houses, you are looking at fiber or wifi. I'm guessing those houses are beyond the 100m limit for cat5 cabling, but you might be able to get there with some of them. As far as a wifi connection, I'd guess you would need P2P connections to each house, which will greatly increase the amount it will cost to setup.

I'd take a hard look at the underlying network and what you want to do before spending the money on this. Make sure it's feasible and accomplish what you want before diving into it.

Another option to throw out there is if you know someone relatively(say 5 miles or so, depending on if you have restrictions with antennas) close that is able to get broadband, then you could do a longshot connection from them and split the connection to other neighbors from there.

I forgot to mention this too-

we where talking to a company that would alow us all to have our own T1 connection. Actually we would get a main T1 line and then 24 lines that we could do anything with.. am I making sence?? (Im a nOob lol)

Tman said:

we where talking to a company that would alow us all to have our own T1 connection. Actually we would get a main T1 line and then 24 lines that we could do anything with.. am I making sence?? (Im a nOob lol)

In other words, a data T1 and a PRI T1, or just one PRI T1? A PRI wouldn't make much sense for a home user, since you would need a 64K ISDN connection for each of the 23 useable channels (23 B channels., 1 channel serves as a D channel). At least this is the way I've always understood PRI's work.

Tman said:

it still doesnt change the fact that you're not going to have enough incoming bandwidth to support everything you're wanting to support. Not to menion that if eBay-guy runs his business on the web, you DONT want to be responsible for maintaing that site. Let a hosting company do it as that's what they do. It will also save you bandwidth and it will be more reliable for him.

And did you catch the part about ditching the game server idea?

Also, if you dont give us some distances here, we cant even begin to suggest radios and antennas for your wi-fi links.

Yeah, Range is an big factor...... and like every said... Game server idea is out the window

I think what we all need to know is how far the houses are from you. Also like everyone else said a T1 isn't that fat, no matter what the guy trying to sell you a contract says. Sure it would be fine for all of you guys to surf pr0n an check your email, but servers, people gaming, and the inevitable warez leach... eh not so much.

Idealy what you would need is a network appliance or a server that will allow you to controll bandwith to each node.

You could do this and make it 'work', but honestly it sounds like you're in over your head. Since you guys are looking at a contract for a T1 it probably wouldn't be a poor choice to have someone come out and give you some advice. IE a local consultant. Just look up some freelance people in the phone book and see if you can pay them to come give you some help.

Please, please make PNGs out of those bmps. I'm on dsl, but they still took forever to load.

;) not mad, just I don't have OC-192 here.

Ok thanks guys... :(

I think that this thread has finally kicked the bucket. And I would really like you guys to just let this thread Die and go down the drain.

(Also, I hope that I dont get you guys mad or anything. but I would like to start a NEW thread about what you would suggest for me to set up my Router and Wi Fi net work because that was one of the main things that I wanted to cover but never really did.)

Please Let This Thread Die

Back