A64 IHS removal

BioPort

Gawd
in an attempt to push my cpu even further, i removed the ihs on my 3200+ newcastle tonight. everything went smoothly, put the chip back in, fire it up to check the temps... they were a little higher than before. so i pull off the waterblock, reseat it and this time temps are way better. down to like 27c idle. then all of a sudden, bam, pc shuts off.

now it will power on, but i dont get video, and the hard disk doesnt spin up. my poor cpu is dead and i dont even understand why!

somehow i doubt its crushed.... it looks like theres nothing wrong with it, it just doesnt work. oh well. :confused:

Because AMD and Intel have a conspiracy to add in this huge metal cumbersome plate over the core. Engineers decided to fuck with everyone and say "OMG OUR COR3 IS SO S3CRET1!!! OMG LOL NO ON3 SHAL SE IT!!!!11 OMG AND IT SHAL INSULAET TEH COR3 AS WAL!!11!! LOL USERS R DOM3D FOR3VAR!1!1 WTF" (<-- courtesy of AOLizer)

But no really. It *is* there for a reason. It's not an insulator. It's not a conspiracy and AMD/Intel put them there to slow everyone down and hamper your performance. It is a happy IHS. Might I recommend instead of ripping it off next time, drawing a little happy face with your thermal compound right in the middle and then squish down your heatsink on top. Then put a sticker on your heatsink saying "Happiness inside". Your heatsink and IHS will love each other and get married and have little babies who use the heat to grow up big and strong and leave through the fans in your case, carrying all the angry heat from your CPU in little red backpacks as they leave.

Without the IHS, the heatsink gets angry. It begins to cry and get lonely and depressed, when it gets depressed it frowns, the frown causes a downward pressure and cracks your core. Then everyone is sad.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

IHS = happy times

-Venthos

(Sorry I don't know what's wrong with me)

Venthos said:
Because AMD and Intel have a conspiracy to add in this huge metal cumbersome plate over the core. Engineers decided to fuck with everyone and say "OMG OUR COR3 IS SO S3CRET1!!! OMG LOL NO ON3 SHAL SE IT!!!!11 OMG AND IT SHAL INSULAET TEH COR3 AS WAL!!11!! LOL USERS R DOM3D FOR3VAR!1!1 WTF" (<-- courtesy of AOLizer)

But no really. It *is* there for a reason. It's not an insulator. It's not a conspiracy and AMD/Intel put them there to slow everyone down and hamper your performance. It is a happy IHS. Might I recommend instead of ripping it off next time, drawing a little happy face with your thermal compound right in the middle and then squish down your heatsink on top. Then put a sticker on your heatsink saying "Happiness inside". Your heatsink and IHS will love each other and get married and have little babies who use the heat to grow up big and strong and leave through the fans in your case, carrying all the angry heat from your CPU in little red backpacks as they leave.

Without the IHS, the heatsink gets angry. It begins to cry and get lonely and depressed, when it gets depressed it frowns, the frown causes a downward pressure and cracks your core. Then everyone is sad.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

IHS = happy times

-Venthos

(Sorry I don't know what's wrong with me)

ROTFL!

Made my day :D
Some things just don't need tweaking/modding..

Considering my processor doesn't have a heatspreader and I crank down my waterblock to hell and back, and Bioport says it doesn't look cracked, I'm going to say it's probably not cracked. The fact that the hard drive doesn't spin up suggests they're not getting power.
What does turn on, fans, motherboard LEDs, anything?
Try to be constructive, people, not belittling. It's a known fact that heatspreaders can be removed from processors without damage, so don't act like he just burned the US Constitution.

::hides burnt constitution behind his back::

the machine powers up. fans, cathodes, and pumps are all getting power. are you using a64 zero? i did have to crank down on the block to get good contact, but the core is not crushed, cracked, or chipped.

Not sure if this applies to you, but when I was building my new CPU recently, first few times I booted it, I forgot to press the power button. When I plugged the PSU into the wall everything would power up (lights, fans) but no post. The little indicator thing said CPU damaged. I shat my pants, and then turned it off, double checked cpu, it seemed ok. Pressed the power button to turn it on this time, and everything boots up fine!

Since those first initial startups I have since discoverd that it is a commen problem w/ neo2s It wont boot up main stuff unless power button is pressed. I see your sig says you have a NEO, but hey, I figured Id lend my .02

The heatspreader IS there for a reason.

To protect the core from being accidently crushed, it does not aid in cooling.

Removing a heat spreader is a perfectly logical thing to do if your trying to lower your temps. THIS IS EXTREME COOLING PEOPLE, and well it sucks yes sometimes you may damage something.

If your going to do something as drastic as remove the heat spreader, your defintly taking a chance and sometimes it pays off and sometimes you have a dead $200 chip. But dont give the guy a hard time for trying something.

If you want to know for sure if the cpus done, id just borrow a cpu and try it out.
Usually if you get no post beeps though ive found the cpu to be the culprit. I say this as a guy who crushed two Athlon XP's in two days because I was being lazy and careless.

Back