Possible dead motherboard? Or something else?

lexcruiser

Weaksauce
My BIOS is AMI and I've been experiencing between either 3 quick beeps or 4 quick beeps on bootup. The 4 beeps usually happen after clearing the CMOS and booting up, the 3 beeps happen every time I boot up after that. Stii no boot up and no video.

I've tried re-seating memory, vid card and CPU. It *did* boot up OK a few times after clearing the CMOS but not anymore. I've already tried using brand new mem chips so I dont think its the RAM. I dont think its the vid card either since that worked on bootup a few times....

Right now, I'm guessing its the mobo since 3 or 4 beeps seem to indicate a possible mobo problem according to the error beep codes.

Any other suggestions before I go ahead and buy a new motherboard??

Thanks in advance!! :(

Specs:
Asus P5AD2 Deluxe
P4 3.0ghz
1.5gigs DDR2 533mhz corsairs
Radeon x800 xt

lexcruiser said:
Aside from the PSU and Mobo, does this sound like it could be the CPU or vid card?

well the best way to find out is to try other components.. try any vid card.. as for the CPU being a problem - I don't think so.. but again - you should check it in different mobo to make sure..

Looks like a toasty mobo. Although I've seen strange things happen with a bad power supply. You might try swapping that out first before replacing the mobo.

Mister Natural said:
Looks like a toasty mobo. Although I've seen strange things happen with a bad power supply. You might try swapping that out first before replacing the mobo.

Yea... thats what I was thinking as well. =T
Mobo was only 3 months old.. Any idea what might cause a mobo to fail like this? Or specifically, what might cause that system timer failure? I ran Memtest86 prior to this happening, can a memory stress test program kill a mobo like this?? :mad:

Back