When will SATA-II become available for us to buy?

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
When will SATA-II become available for us to buy? I know it is in the process of being designed and tested... anyone have any info or good links to share? Thanks.

Do SATAII drives actually differ physically from current SATA? I was under the impression it was merely a chipset difference using the same drives.

I dont think they differ connection-wise, but the SATA-II drives support more in the command set, as well as a few more features.

They dont have any different connectors. Its sorta like udma 2 vs udma 4, they use the same connection, just work a tad faster.

I have the seagate 160gb sata-2 drive working on my sata-1 controllers, and they perform flawlessly.
I dont get any benefits of sata2 because my controller is the limiting feature on my rig.

Bullitt said:
They dont have any different connectors. Its sorta like udma 2 vs udma 4, they use the same connection, just work a tad faster.

I have the seagate 160gb sata-2 drive working on my sata-1 controllers, and they perform flawlessly.
I dont get any benefits of sata2 because my controller is the limiting feature on my rig.

Ditto. And actually, the limiting factor is more the mechanical limitations of hard disks than our controllers. SATA2 has a higher burst speed (theoretically) but sustained transfer rates, access times, etc. are really about the same.

Sata 2 is somehow supposed to relate to serial attached scsi, and i believe with sata 2 it might start allowing more drives per channel on the motherboard with some form of switching, i might be wrong and thinking of the SA:SCS though

Yea, you should be able to hook up SATA-II drives to SAS controllers I believe. Ice Czar clarified it in a thread where I asked the same question months ago.. let me dig it up...

doormat said:
Yea, you should be able to hook up SATA-II drives to SAS controllers I believe. Ice Czar clarified it in a thread where I asked the same question months ago.. let me dig it up...
Actually, you can connect SATA and SATA-II drives up to SAS controllers and expanders without any problems. SATA II adds NCQ, doubles the physical transmission rate, and allows for port multipliers, which will allow you to run up to 15 SATA II devices off of a single controller port.

UICompE02 said:
Actually, you can connect SATA and SATA-II drives up to SAS controllers and expanders without any problems. SATA II adds NCQ, doubles the physical transmission rate, and allows for port multipliers, which will allow you to run up to 15 SATA II devices off of a single controller port.

Awesome... when will this become available to purchase on Motherboards and or PCI Express Cards? Any estimate?

USMC2Hard4U said:
Awesome... when will this become available to purchase on Motherboards and or PCI Express Cards? Any estimate?
SAS controllers?
Already being sampled and qualified by major OEMs. Should be available in PCI/PCI-X forms in the first half of this year to end users and PCI-Express forms near the end of this year/beginning of next year.

Back