FFDSHOW & TV tuners

jmhc

Weaksauce
Greetings:

Can anyone tell me which standard TV or HDTV tuner PCI card can use FFDSHOW as postprocessing software??

Best Regards

For the most part, it has more to do with the software that is used to view the stored mpeg. However, if you are using a tuner with a built-in decoder (PVR350) and bypassing your video card, then I don't know. Also, if you are using a software encoder (ATI AIW) then ffdshow may overload your cpu when trying to both encode and postprocess. So, if you are using a hardware encoder (hauppauge PVRs) and outputting from your video card, you should be able to utilize ffdshow (or any other postprocessing program) provided the software you use to view the TV show supports postprocessing.

For example, I'm using a PVR250 which captures the tv signal from my cable and stores it on the hard drive (for a couple seconds or however long before I watch it if it's a recorded show) and then postporcessed with ffdshow and then outputted through my video card (9800Pro) to my HDTV. Granted, I usually don't use aggressive postprocessing with TV because it makes things a bit jittery at times, but for DVDs I bump it way up.

Yeah FFDShow is pretty unforgiving on systems when used to postprocess TV, HD tuners see little to no benefit with it either... since it's already in HD. ;)

FFDShow is best used for DVDs and video.

Somewhat unrelated to the TV portion but I was wondering, can you use the ffdshow filter while viewing .avi files? The reason that I ask is because I have my movies backed up on my computer's RAID array, and I am wondering if ffdshow will help to clean up some of the quality issues involved with the XVID encode?

If you have your movies in .avi format, I suggest using DSCALER. It will clean up much of the problems by allowing you to configure the post processing you prefer.

Is Dscaler free and does it work with XviD? Thanks for the fast reply.

Really dumb noob question. Do you know how I can enable the URL option in my sig? For instance I want to put links to my heatware and ebay feedback and have the links say: Heat and eBay. It won't let me do it as is. Thanks again!

AVi is a wrapper format which means that an AVI file can be either XviD, Divx, Mpeg2, etc.

Yes FFDShow works with AVI, yes Dscaler is both free and works and No you can't have URL links in your sig like that.

Dscaler is great for use with software based tuners as a means to watch live video, EG if you wanted to hook up a console game system and play you'd use Dscaler.

Thanks for the super fast reply!

Which one is easier to use?

Any links to where I can download?

Ok, got that, but what I want to do is to use my HTPC only as a post-processing for my cable TV.

I'm not trying to process and storing on HD at the same time, what I want to do is to connect my cable TV box to my PC through a capture card or TV tuner and then watch the TV content in my monitor, I don't want to store the content just process the image and watch it only.

Is there any tv tuner or capture card which allows that??

Thank you guys fior your help

That's the way TV tuners work. They temporarily save the incoming video to your hard drive and then pass it along to the video card. Post-processing takes place prior to the video getting sent out to the monitor.

Saving to the hard drive (temporarily) is the reason you actually get about a 1-2 second delay between straight cable viewed programs and programs captured by the tuner card.

There may be a way to bypass the temporary storage on the hard drive with some tuner cards, but I don't know. Also, it isn't a big deal as the video is deleted off the hard drive based on the settings in the PVR software you use.

if the tuner card isn't storing the video, you can't pause or rewind live TV. Tivo's operate the same way. if you loose the file strage, you lose timeshifting.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for, trying to enhance the image I watch on my monitor, the only problem is that I don't know any capture card that supports this.

None do because thats not how they work. FFDShow is a post]/i]-process, "post" as in after. You want to do this in realtime or on a raw file but FFDShow needs it to be a prebuffered stream so that the video can be cached and then the filters applied too.

CrimandEvil said:
None do because thats not how they work. FFDShow is a post]/i]-process, "post" as in after. You want to do this in realtime or on a raw file but FFDShow needs it to be a prebuffered stream so that the video can be cached and then the filters applied too.

So you think I might have to use a pre-processing software instead???

I think the big question is what do you hope to gain from not storing the file on your hard drive temporarily? I understand your question, but don't see the point.

IDversusEGO said:
I think the big question is what do you hope to gain from not storing the file on your hard drive temporarily? I understand your question, but don't see the point.

Best image from cable tv box, and game consoles

jmhc said:
Best image from cable tv box, and game consoles
so why does that exclude the recorded option? game consoles are not going to be helped much by a processign software, especially since there will be no way to process a video stream without some delay. best bet is to get a VGA trascoder and do it hardware based.

Back