3500+ woes and heat

scorpy

Weaksauce
Well I have the old 3500+, the non-Winchester and I idle in the low 40's. I constantly hit upper 50's and even hit 64 one time in a game session. I am very concerned about this. I used to jump to 60C almost immediately whenever I started gaming. So I decided to try and reseat the proc in case I broke the seal of the paste when I was messing around in my comp.

So I bought some AS5 and took the heatsink off to reseat it. However, the processor stuck to the heatsink and was pulled out with the heatsink, even though the notch was still down. I finally managed to get it off and examined it. I didn't *see* any bent or broken pins, but I didn't count to make sure they're all there.

After that scare, I cleaned everything off with some 91% isopropyl alcohol, and applied about two small rice pieces of AS5 to the processor top. I then attached the heatsink again, but the dang thing popped off the holder on the one side while I was pushing the other side down. So I had to pull it up and try attaching again. I left the artic silver as is. I did get it attached right the second time and have been using it since. That was last Saturday (the 15th). My temps still get to high 50's, but it hasn't broken 60 yet (57.5 is the max its hit, via Speedfan).

I just think that is too hot for my processor to be running at all the time, not to mention the fan is loud. I am not doing any overclocking at all, and I am using the retail fan and heatsink. I currently am not using Cool n Quiet because I want to see how hot it gets. I also don't want it adjusting anything during the AS5 break-in. I am probably 40-50 hours into usage, and AS5 says it should go until 200 for best cooling, so it still *could* get cooler. The fan is the only thing changing speed based on the temperatures (which I can't control).

I have only had this processor since September, but I wonder if maybe something is wrong with it? Please help me or at least make me feel better about it somehow. I just hate it hot and noisy ALL the time.

Assuming my motherboard is reporting right, is there anything else I can do? (not discrediting you, just curious)

Anyone else have input?

Is it supposed to be 1.5v? I am just guessing from what I vaguely remember. It was either that or 1.4. Just checking.

1.5v is default for a newcastle, its odd that yours is running hot and my first guess would be too much paste. You will probably be better off buying a new heatsink and some case fans. Be sure to seal your case, dont let air get in or out except through the case fans slots to ensure proper air flow.

You could try lowering the voltage as low as you can without losing stability.

My newcastle 3400+ runs pretty warm on the stock HS, too, man.

I found that when I'm not OC'ed, it will cool things down a tad to drop the Hammer Vid by a bit in the Bios... the default is 1.475, but I can still be stable with it at 1.45 and she runs a bit cooler...

Ordered an XP-90 though, I want to OC but the temps are keeping me under 2.57gHz or so for even quick benches with this stock bizz on here..

Well, I hit 65c today after gaming for like 2 hours. And it wasn't even a strenuous game, just GTA2. This is crazy, something isn't right. I will try reseating later this week, but I don't think thats what it is.

Tet5uo, when you get that XP-90, could you post how it affects your temps? Thats what I am considering to get, but I still need to find a quiet fan (4900 RPM and above is too loud on my stocker). Hopefully I can find a solution to this.

Edit - for reference I am using a PC-78B Lian Li case, so I don't think any air is getting in elsewhere. Also, I have two case fans in front pulling air in, and one in the rear exhausting. Temps just run excessively hot in there for some reason. And room temp is kept around 21c all the time.

scorpy said:
Well, I hit 65c today after gaming for like 2 hours. And it wasn't even a strenuous game, just GTA2. This is crazy, something isn't right. I will try reseating later this week, but I don't think thats what it is.

Tet5uo, when you get that XP-90, could you post how it affects your temps? Thats what I am considering to get, but I still need to find a quiet fan (4900 RPM and above is too loud on my stocker). Hopefully I can find a solution to this.

Edit - for reference I am using a PC-78B Lian Li case, so I don't think any air is getting in elsewhere. Also, I have two case fans in front pulling air in, and one in the rear exhausting. Temps just run excessively hot in there for some reason. And room temp is kept around 21c all the time.

You just explained your problem. Take the side of your case off and see how it does. I don't think you are moving the hot air out of your case fast enough.

80% of my ram in use and im at a cpu temp of 35c now havent seen it go higher then 38c after games but i dont check every time

I was at about 35C or so idle so when I was in a game like hl2 or something it was probably in the low 40's. As soon as I put in a radeon 9800pro (long story) it jumped from basically 35C at idle to 40C at idle. ugh, ATI.

Powerade - what are your setting at on the asus board? Do you notice a big enough difference to have your chip oc'd?

Hmm, even after cleaning out all fans and such in the case and reseating, my temps are still higher. On first boot, it started at 40c, which is good. But after 5 minutes of idling (nothing at all on), it jumped up to 49c! Why can this be? The only things open are Norton AV2003, and ZoneAlarm. Those can't be pushing my temps up that much.

Oh and for the record, cpu got yanked outta the socket again on removing the heatsink. This time it did bend some pins. Does anyone know what AMD's stance is for bent pins under warranty? I straightened them out, but in case it does go sour I want to know.

I will report back my temps after I restart and give the AS5 time to break in.

Quick update. After restart and letting it sit idle, it now is sitting at 38c. The highest it got was 44.5c, right now after 15 minutes. Hopefully this is finally past me. And I did actually put the heatsink on the opposite way it normally was(it can go either way). This combined with the dust removal might have been the trick.

*crosses fingers*

Back