Asus A8V-E Deluxe

Islelight

n00b
Does anyone have any experience with the new ASUS A8V-E pci-e motherboard or heard of any problems with it. Just looking for a solid pci express board with one graphics card slot to buy. I cannot get enough information on the board as far as reviews. THANKS!

I just bought one and I know how you feel. No review to-date. While I am far from knowlegeable enough to give an in-depth exploration, I can at least note a few interesting things.

My stock FX heatsink would not fit without loosening the screws on the mounting bracket. Not a big deal. Still works great.

The board contains quite a few empty spaces that could contain either SATA or PCI-e x1 (as in, the solder points are there, the plastic socket is not). What this means, I don't know.

The Northbridge puts out quite a lot of heat, but I have yet to see it rise above 47-49 C. The seemingly puny heatsink apparantely does a decent job without too much noise.

Installation went perfect, though the AI Booster utility that was detailed in the manual did not exist on my copy of the CD. Still trying to figure this one out because the folder is there and there is some sort of executable, but nothing seems to happen. It may be a BIOS thing.

The WI-FI is pretty swell because, what the hey, maybe it'll be used sometime.

So far, no problems. Stability has been excellent and the manual was sufficient. I haven't tried overclocking yet, though if anyone has some specific questions, I will gladly field them.

Thanks for the info! I was assuming it would be practically identical to the A8V as far as construction and performance, other than the obviouse pci-e and agp difference, because the boards name is identical other than the -E. The A8V has quite a few good reviews.

I, too, am interested in this board. Based on previous good performance and experience with ASUS, I'd rather get an ASUS board than any other.

My local store is pushing this board on me instead of the Intel 915 solution I am looking at. Due to a plethora of reviews on the 915 chipset and a lack of reviews on the KT890 chipset, I am more inclined to give Intel the nod though I feel I would have a better "life expectancy" going AMD.

The amount of stuff missing from this board is disturbing and its price point so much higher than a comparable Intel solution...

Try to sell me this board. :D

I gave up on no info for this board. I bought an MSI K8N Neo4 ULTRA Platinum. Asus never came out with their A8N-E, so I went with MSI.

Well here's a little info on this board.

My experience.

Purchased online at NCIX.com
ASUS A8V-E
XFX 6600GT
Corsair TwinX memory
and everything else needed

I assembled the components only to find the system would not post or even give error messages (beeps or speech post).

I then placed the 6600GT into my brothers ASUS Sli board, it worked. Put my brothers 6800GT into the A8V-E, and to my suprise it worked. NCIX recommended a new board so that's what I did. Got a new board (A8V-E), and had the same problem. Now I was confused, was this some strange anomilie? RMA'd that board and replaced it with a DFI Ultra-D board.

After assembly everything worked

ASUS A8V-E + 6600GT = Borscht

Yes I did update the bios. The lates bios I tried was 1003

Back