"Steam is having trouble connecting to the Steam servers" possibly Valve's fault?

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
This is the first time I've reinstalled Steam, and I keep getting this error, constantly. I went to their troubleshooting page, and every single resolution they propose is client-based. It doesn't seem to even acknowledge Valve's potential culpability in the matter. So is it actually a Steam issue, or is there something f'ed with my connection? Everything else works fine, I have no firewalls, my computer is DMZ, and it worked fine before the reinstallation.

Its probably not your reinstallation that did it. Im getting the message too. Steam has worked flawlessly for me since it came out with CS1.6. This is the first time I have ever seen steam not work for me.

Whatever. Its just a game. It'll give me an excuse to put down my mouse and get off my ass.

Same here! It won't even let me get into steam offline mode without verifying my login first (which requires steam to be connected). STEAMPOWERED CRAP

They're having HUGE problems with the Steam servers today. I cannot connect either - and they've been down for a while now.

Even the Steam forums are slow/barely useable (for me anyway).

This whole situation really makes me really mad. Today is my one day off...I want to play Half-Life 2...and now this situation. I bought the Special Edition on DVD-Rom under the premise that you 'only have to connect to Steam once and then you can play in "offline" mode'. Well, apparently that's a lie.

Only thing I can suggest is be patient and keep an eye on the Steam forums for word on when things are back up:

http://forums.steampowered.com

Based on what's going on, I'd say that your problems are related to VALVe/Steam and NOT related to anything you've done so far.

Steam is down for me as well. Keeps giving me the login failed to connect. Can't even play my single player games! :mad:

My steam works fine...that is...on my other account. I have two accounts, one of which is unable to connect to the steam servers. Most likely the servers which your login information is stored on is down........... :eek:

Mine just came back, but this does point out the flaw in the Steam system. There needs to be a more steady "offline mode".

Hmmmm, I downloaded 3.5 gig from steam today with no problems, complete reinstall, Averaged around 1.5 down the whole time.

It appears that if your Steam ID starts with 0:0, you shouldn't have any problems. ID's starting with 0:1 are the affected accounts. (Mine being one of them) :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK, now this sucks. My wife's account logs in just fine, but my account doesn't. I even logged into her account on my computer- same PC, same install, same connection, but no luck.

Folks, this is great- in order to prevent the cardinal sin of piracy, people who paid 140.00 for 2 COPIES of HL2 gets screwed over like this :mad: .

I really want to wish violence and plagues on G. Newell, but I think I'll just shut up.

Damn when steam goes down people be like F**K Steam Suck My Dick Steam Kiss My Ass Steam F**Cker Steam and many more I dunoo why ppl are so impatient yeh mine works fine...
And yeh F**k yOU STEAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

DeViLdUdE said:
Damn when steam goes down people be like F**K Steam Suck My Dick Steam Kiss My Ass Steam F**Cker Steam and many more I dunoo why ppl are so impatient yeh mine works fine...
And yeh F**k yOU STEAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

It's a simple concept, really. Some of us work for a living. Some of us go to college and work for a living. We don't have enough spare time to wait around for Steam to work. They're paying for something they're not getting. They can bitch if they want to.

Same here I can't connect :mad: :mad:
I am at work and was going to do some Gary Mod work but nooooo Valve said bend over and I will show you the meaning of pain. Seriously, I have never had a problem with steam until now. What is funny is that if you click the help button on that pop up window, there website seems to be down as well. Maybe they are experiencing a DOS attack. Everybody here including me are jumping down Valve's throats about this but what if it wasn't there fault but instead a hackers fault.

just uninstalled it and nothing changed... everything seemed fine on steampowered.com's status so i figured it was a problem on my end...

Gk22CoE said:
just uninstalled it and nothing changed... everything seemed fine on steampowered.com's status so i figured it was a problem on my end...

Ok...you don't need to uninstall the game. I am announcing this so people won't uninstall and then curse b/c not only can they not get on they will have to redownload it again. It is Valve's server fault and not the game.

lol, I sure picked a bad time to reinstall. This is the first time I've heard of problems this massive.

same is happening to me.
now the steam forums are down

last night i couldnt connect to a server it said my steam ticket has ended.

now this.

it really sucks

I just got HL2 today and havent installed it yet. So in order to play single player, you have to connected online to Steam?

oh woops thought this was a wow thread at first. im also one of those who hasn't had any problems with steam except the damn friends list.

WookieRookie said:
I just got HL2 today and havent installed it yet. So in order to play single player, you have to connected online to Steam?

Yes, sounds stupid, doesn't it?

WickedAngel said:
It's a simple concept, really. Some of us work for a living. Some of us go to college and work for a living. We don't have enough spare time to wait around for Steam to work. They're paying for something they're not getting. They can bitch if they want to.

Thank you for your common sense. When something doesn't work that we've paid money for, we have every right to be upset.

dont blame steam for implementing a system to combat piracy...if anything, blame the pirates for stealing the games....

i choose to ignore those immature posts... we all know a 14 year old "cool" kid posted that.

I am mad because i was planning on having a lan tonight with a couple buddies of mine and well now.. it doesnt look like its going to happen if it keeps going like it is.

kevin1211 said:
dont blame steam for implementing a system to combat piracy...if anything, blame the pirates for stealing the games....

you mean don't blame valve... why not?

with piracy, you should always make an anti-piracy system. but if you make one that hurts the legit users more than the pirates, then you messed up plain and simple. and in this case, pirates now are playing hl2 fine cracked without steam while legit users are locked out.

valve needs to make a steam lite that uses the net as little as possible.

kevin1211 said:
who can we blame then?

We payed yet we cant play.

When i pay for somthing i expect to use it right away and when ever i want until i get sent to a mentalinstitution for using it to much.

Until i get sent to a ment im going to complain all i want.

I really dont get why people come here when they dont have somthing to add to the thread that will help the others. :rolleyes:

kevin1211 said:
Yes, and don't blame Steam for future losses at Valve, after all they were just combating piracy. If anything, blame the consumers who were fed up with dealing with such a bullshit system and refused to take part of it anymore.

WookieRookie said:

yes you have to.

markt435 said:
works for me

and its also worked all day :rolleyes:
the reason it works for some is because they where already logged in when the problem took place.

we logged out.

man did i screw up :(

Gotta love it - I work twelve straight fourteen hour days, and when I finally get a day off - I can't play the game I paid for! In addition to all the issues metioned above, it says my account no longer exists!

nexusalt said:
It appears that if your Steam ID starts with 0:0, you shouldn't have any problems. ID's starting with 0:1 are the affected accounts. (Mine being one of them) :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wow, so there might actually be a problem with steam? So I can't make a "mine works" post and put the little "roll eyes" face? You mean people might have a problem with Steam and they aren't idiots? Isn't that amazing! I thought everyone that had problems with Steam were just too stupid to own a PC! " :rolleyes: "

Tran, you're right, they need to make a "Steam light". It only makes sense given where HL2 is in a typical sales cycle- almost everyone that wants it has bought it. It's even possible that those that normally pirate have bought it (I know of one person-not me- that did after realizing they weren't going to be able to pirate it). And the other anti-piracy countermeasures are strong enough so that they don't have to grab your balls every time you want to play.

I really feel for those that wanted to have a LAN party today- I almost had one but cancelled it until next week. I haven't had a problem with Steam until today, but it's enough to see the glaring flaws in the system.

i was having a problem playing yesterday where it said it lost my steam ticket or somthing like that and i had to refresh my password. never did work.

it does it on both my accounts.

i paid for my hl2 and on my other one i had cs, cs cz, and all the other games.

if they get lost steam is really gunna hear about it.!!!.

DRJ1014 said:
the reason it works for some is because they where already logged in when the problem took place.

we logged out.

man did i screw up :(

no...i logged in about the time most of you were having problems. seriously, i think it has more to do with individual comps rather than Steam itself. but that is just me.

kevin1211 said:

Well steam isn't an entity, so I nobody will blame it. However, taking your statement as it's meant it is still flawed. Nobody is criticising Valve for implementing a anti-piracy system. They are criticising Valve for implementing a anti-piracy system that is flawed and harms more legitimate users than any other anti-piracy system I've ever seen.

Valve took the responsibility of keeping Steam working near flawlessly upon themselves, and they have failed that responsibility.

Ugh...this does suck. I can't play in offline mode either. It tells me"no login information can be found on this computer...you can not play until you log on to our server which is DOWN!!!!

Back