proper loop configuration

(7\)

Limp Gawd
i have a shinny new TDX775 block a eheim 1250 rad and res..

my question is how do i properly run the loop.. looking thru pictures of other peoples systems just assured me there isnt a standard way of doing it :)

my thought was from the pump out would goto my res.. to the rad.. to the cpu then back to the pump. this would of course put the recently chilled water directly to the cpu.

other pictures i've seen go from the pump out.. to the cpu.. to the res then to the rad.. back to the pump.. this would seem to put the highest flow rate possible directly on the cpu. it was my understanding however the pump is going to add heat to the water.

can anyone help out with choosing the most effective method?

Mine is going to go like this:
Res
Pump
Rad
Cpu
Rad
Chipset
Rad Gpu
Res
Needless to say i have 3 different radiators :p

Ok, here are some common misconceptions about water cooling configuration.

• The cpu is putting heat into the water, I should send that water to a radiator before sending it to the gpu. (other variations on this include assuming the pump puts heat into the water etc, and it worsens the cooling on all subsequent blocks)

This assumption is technically correct, in reality false. Yes there is more heat in the water...how much? Maybe enough to raise the temp by .2C or something at most. This will not adversely affect the cooling of the subsequent parts in your loop.

• I should put the cpu right after the pump because then the cpu is getting the fastest flow going through the pump.

This is also false. A watercooling loop is a closed loop configuration. The water flows at the same rate all throughout the system. Placing the CPU directly after the pump does not make the water flow faster through the CPU than it does if it were placed anywhere else in the configuration.

That being said, there are some basic things that you want to take into consideration when planning your loop. While technically the order of components will not change the performance of the system at all, there are some things to consider which will make your life easier. You want to place the pump right after the resevoir if possible. This makes priming the pump when you first fill the system much easier. Also, you want to place the resevoir above or at the level of the pump (or else it defeats the purpose of making it easier to prime the pump, water doesn't flow up naturally ya know). The second main thing you want to consider when planning your loop, is that you want to route the tubing in the shortest and simplest route that provides the least sharp bends that could result in kinking and reduced flow. The shorter the tubing, the less the restriction, the higher the flow, and the lower the temperatures will be.

Erasmus354 said:

• The cpu is putting heat into the water, I should send that water to a radiator before sending it to the gpu. (other variations on this include assuming the pump puts heat into the water etc, and it worsens the cooling on all subsequent blocks)

This assumption is technically correct, in reality false. Yes there is more heat in the water...how much? Maybe enough to raise the temp by .2C or something at most. This will not adversely affect the cooling of the subsequent parts in your loop.

• I should put the cpu right after the pump because then the cpu is getting the fastest flow going through the pump.

This is also false. A watercooling loop is a closed loop configuration. The water flows at the same rate all throughout the system. Placing the CPU directly after the pump does not make the water flow faster through the CPU than it does if it were placed anywhere else in the configuration.

That being said, there are some basic things that you want to take into consideration when planning your loop. While technically the order of components will not change the performance of the system at all, there are some things to consider which will make your life easier. You want to place the pump right after the resevoir if possible. This makes priming the pump when you first fill the system much easier. Also, you want to place the resevoir above or at the level of the pump (or else it defeats the purpose of making it easier to prime the pump, water doesn't flow up naturally ya know). The second main thing you want to consider when planning your loop, is that you want to route the tubing in the shortest and simplest route that provides the least sharp bends that could result in kinking and reduced flow. The shorter the tubing, the less the restriction, the higher the flow, and the lower the temperatures will be.

Yup. Good, well thought out information. Doesn't matter too much how you set your system up.

The only thing I would consider is going without the res and using a T-line instead. From my own experience water systems are simpler and take up less space by using a T-line. Although when you initially prime the system it does take longer to remove the air.

plywood99 said:
Yup. Good, well thought out information. Doesn't matter too much how you set your system up.

The only thing I would consider is going without the res and using a T-line instead. From my own experience water systems are simpler and take up less space by using a T-line. Although when you initially prime the system it does take longer to remove the air.

i was considering a t-line.. but i just like the look of the water sloshing around in the case.. i have a C3 clear case and water at the top just looks dangerous :)

(7\) said:
i was considering a t-line.. but i just like the look of the water sloshing around in the case.. i have a C3 clear case and water at the top just looks dangerous :)

Yah, just seal it up real good so it isn't too dangerous.... :p

Just make sure your careful, peace and enjoy your w/c rig.

Erasmus354 said:

This isnt exactly true.......well its true enough to not really make a difference in such a small space as the inside of the tubing of your water cooling. Inside the loop the most pressure is going to be right after the pump. the least amount of pressure is going to be directly before the pump. This is because the pump makes a suction when sucking in water which reduces the pressure and increases the pressure directly infront of the pump. Its been a while but i belive its one of newtons laws that stats a liquid in a closded containter will distribute the pressure equally or something along those lines which is what pushes the water forward through the loop!
I hope i didnt blable too long about this and confuse anyone? :confused:

KCompany said:
This isnt exactly true.......well its true enough to not really make a difference in such a small space as the inside of the tubing of your water cooling. Inside the loop the most pressure is going to be right after the pump. the least amount of pressure is going to be directly before the pump. This is because the pump makes a suction when sucking in water which reduces the pressure and increases the pressure directly infront of the pump. Its been a while but i belive its one of newtons laws that stats a liquid in a closded containter will distribute the pressure equally or something along those lines which is what pushes the water forward through the loop!
I hope i didnt blable too long about this and confuse anyone? :confused:

ermm...actually it is true, the water moves at the same flow throughout the entire loop, the only thing that may change is the actual speed of the water at certain points. The speed of the water changes depending upon what it happens to be travelling through, jet impingement blocks take advantage of that to accelerate the water as it goes through the block, however the FLOW is still always the same at every point in the loop....otherwise the water wouldn't flow at all :) you would get a traffic jam in your loop if it flowed slower at some points. Flow is not the same thing as pressure, and the cooling of the waterblock depends upon flow not pressure....otherwise people would place a 12ton weight on their cpu ;)

KCompany, I'm curious....do you know the efficiency of the three (?) radiators for your system?

Back