Question on CD & cdkey

MaKoMaN

n00b
I lost my windows xp pro disc but i still have my code, its time for me to reformt my pc but since i lost me disc ifeel hopeless :(
also since it is an OEM M$ wont give me a replacement disc

my question is simple:
Can i use another xp-pro disc to reformt but use my serialnumber ? or do i need to go and buy another cd with the code?

thank you in advance

ps: please excuse my crappy enligsh it is not my first language.

does it matter if my disc was a sp1 installed ersion and the disc i use is sp2 version?

thank you very much _(._.)_
i will findout tommrow when my new HD arrives ( go WD raptor!)

MaKoMaN said:
thank you very much _(._.)_
i will findout tommrow when my new HD arrives ( go WD raptor!)

Don't forget to have a floppy disk ready with your SATA controller drivers on it and F6 during the beginning portion of your install!

feigned said:
Don't forget to have a floppy disk ready with your SATA controller drivers on it and F6 during the beginning portion of your install!

Only if he's using an AND box. It's not needed for Intel, non-RAID setups.

And the advice about the OEM disc is correct. If you can borrow another XP Pro OEM disc, and use your key, you will be fine.

lomn75 said:
shouldn't, since you can slipstream SPs.

I know for a fact that a non SP1 key won't work for an SP1 disc, so that may not be correct. Slipstreaming adds the latest service pack, but doesn't change whatever small mix of files that identifies what exact disc version it is (OEM. OEMSP1, Retail SP2, VL, etc.). Let us know if it works.

yeah my second disc is from my parents pc it is a OEMSP2 so ill find ot soon ^^
once again thank you very much for all the info

OldPueblo said:
I know for a fact that a non SP1 key won't work for an SP1 disc, so that may not be correct. Slipstreaming adds the latest service pack, but doesn't change whatever small mix of files that identifies what exact disc version it is (OEM. OEMSP1, Retail SP2, VL, etc.). Let us know if it works.

Are you sure this is a valid CD key? I have only dealt with slipstreming of my VLK key, but it works with the pre-SP1 XP that it came with, my SP1 slipstreamed copy, and my SP2 slipstreamed copy.

I installed XP Home SP2 back onto a Compaq PC that came with XP Home (no SP), the CDkey worked fine with the SP2 slipped CD..

I would assume that the same would work with XP Pro, but then again we are talking about MS

djnes said:
Are you sure this is a valid CD key? I have only dealt with slipstreming of my VLK key, but it works with the pre-SP1 XP that it came with, my SP1 slipstreamed copy, and my SP2 slipstreamed copy.

The question though would be "would it work with a non-slipstreamed VLK XPSP1/SP2 CD?" Your disk inherintly hasn't changed, whatever security key check mechanism MS put in place would have stayed through all the slipstreaming therefore leaving your original key valid all the way. Then again it was a long time ago, and maybe I'm remembering the scenario wrong. :D

Back