Lian-Li quality going to the dogs?

Top Nurse

Supreme [H]ardness
It appears that Lian-Li's quality is going to hell. I wonder if they got an alcoholic or a tweaker doing their QC? 2 weeks ago I got a CD bezel that was either not anodized properly or had such a rough finish that it looked like shit. Just got a PC-V1200 and some idiot had bent the bottom of the case near where the wheels attach...pissed me off because it was obviously done during assembly and there was a nice QC sticker about 5" from it. I also found metal shavings in the case and another part of the case was missing some anodizing. It don't take a lot of crap leaving the factory to ruin your good name

Maybe Lian-Li finally decided to make their cases in mainland China? Curious to hear about anyone else's experience?

sounds like you purchased a knock off. China has alot of companies making millions on counterfeit products.

I purchased a V2000b and it exceded my expectations

I have a 1200 and a 1000, and they both rock. The 1000 was in July of 2004, and I bought the 1200 over the holidays.

.B ekiM

Yeah, my V1000 is my first lian-li and i'm glad i got it. It's awesome.

Seems to be one of the popular topics in this forum. almost every day there's a new thread with something to do with lian-li and if they're worth the money, or if they are good quality etc etc...

Sorry about the problem with your new case :(

I lucked out and got in on that PC-71 deal at excaliberpc.com
and I just finished putting the window in :)

DAMN i love that case !!!

Told the wife she's on the couch from now on !!

Its just me and my Lian Li :p

Well no counterfeit here....just poor QC. I got the case from the largest seller and importer of L-L cases in the USA. I pulled the case myself off a pallet load of V1200's. I just exchanged it for a new one this afternoon and I opened it in the warehouse just to make sure it was okay. So I'm back to building my box :D I doubt that this case was anything more than a blip with someone not watching what they were doing, but still I figured they were better than that!

I also have a PC-75, a PC-610, and now the PC-V1200. Time for some dremel tool fantasies and midnight trips to the skunkworks for some mad scientist work on the case :cool:

They are not shady by any means of the imagination. Prior to just recently their parent company was the sole importer of Lian-Li products in the USA. They import 2-3 containers of L-L products almost every month and primarily sell to other retailers. They used to be the supplier for NewEgg, but that is a sore subject around them. I have been buying from this company for about 4-5 years now. Sometimes they can say they have something in stock and by the time you actually order it, it can be out of inventory. They move that much product. They also are a major supplier of touch screens here in the USA and have a manufacturing facility somewhere down in San Diego.

Reseller ratings are a joke...

Well I sure hope my previous post was right :eek: as the second case has problems as well :( Now another problem area in the PSU area, poor finish in a machined area, and the HDD's shake, rattle, and roll in the lower racks. I just sent a query to Lian-Li in Taiwan and if I don't get a response by today I will call them directly tonight before I go to bed...

Personally I've never been impressed with Lian-Li's quality. The Antec P160 has a stronger frame than most Lian-Li's I've ever seen and the motherboard standoff mounts are cheesy as hell and are the kind I'd expect to see and HAVE seen on $30 cases. Lian-Li's quality in other areas besides thickness of the metal and the standoffs is pretty good.

Not that all cases they make are thin and weak for aluminium but some I've seen are. But as long as they keep doing those crappy standoff clips in those square mouting holes I will NEVER buy a Lian-Li and I don't care what anyone says. That's a crappy design and is inexcusable considering the cost of thier cases.

Well the new V-1200 case(s) I just have seen all have threaded metal standoffs AND no removable mb tray anymore.... :( Also see my other thread because more problems with Lian-Li cases. Starting to wonder whether someone is knocking out L-L's in their basement :rolleyes:

Mine does not use those crappy thingys and came with a jewleers screw driver with a hex head to screw in the normal stand offs. It came with a boat load of hardware in fact.

Sorry, but this is where you get the "what the hell are you talking about" face. I've got four LiLi's myself, and another 5 I've built for friends. All bought from either Newegg or Frozen. They're all top notch gorgeous perfect cases. Poor QC only comes into play when I look at the box and say "oh, darn, there's a ding on the corner of the cardboard"

Saying resellerratings is a joke is... how to put this nicely.. Off base? How's that. It made me laugh to read that.

There's a reason the rating is low, and you've found it. They are obviously selling shit cases. Return them and buy from a reputable dealer. Otherwise, well... Can't help you.

Yeah, I'm currently looking at this thread like it's got three heads. It sucks when good people get hosed by a crappy company.

I don't like Lian Li, and I never have been impressed (or even satisfied) with their quality.

They are overpriced by about 1000 fold, in my opinion.

They wobble, squeak, and rattle.

I feel like I am in the twilight zone. Squeaks? Wobley? Are we looking at the same cases?

The only explaination is that people have purchased knock offs.

I personally have never owned a Lian-Li, but all of them I have seen have the same standoffs. They've all got square holes in the motherboard with this cheesy snap in tin thing that you screw into. The problem is that even a reasonable amount of force, will twist the standoff and pop it loose from the motherboard tray.

That's my biggest complaint. I'm not up on all my Lian-Li models, but I have yet to see a pic of one that didn't have that kind of mounting hardware for the mobo.

RealMentalCase said:
I lucked out and got in on that PC-71 deal at excaliberpc.com

I'm very jealous of that. Looks like excalibur won't be open for a while; their website now says:

Grand Re-Opening — Mid March, 2005

so I doubt it'll ever happen again.

.B ekiM

Sir-Fragalot said:
The problem is that even a reasonable amount of force, will twist the standoff and pop it loose from the motherboard tray.

These don't bother me. I can't imagine screwing down my motherboard so hard that it twists the tin standoff out of its hole in the tray.

Maybe you should spend less time at the gym.

.B ekiM

Sir-Fragalot said:
I personally have never owned a Lian-Li, but all of them I have seen have the same standoffs. They've all got square holes in the motherboard with this cheesy snap in tin thing that you screw into. The problem is that even a reasonable amount of force, will twist the standoff and pop it loose from the motherboard tray.

That's my biggest complaint. I'm not up on all my Lian-Li models, but I have yet to see a pic of one that didn't have that kind of mounting hardware for the mobo.

The v series, a least my 2000b uses the brass hexagonal standoffs
and even coimes with a neat tool for installation

Sir-Fragalot said:

mine has the more common screw in hex nut type standoffs. i'm not a big fan of the old way they did it, probably the only weakness (other than price) of LianLi cases. The 1000/2000 series all have the screw in type standoffs btw.

Sir-Fragalot said:

After putting together nine of them I've had one problem with one standoff, and that's because I forced [and I mean forced hard] it into place and it bent. With the rest of them I am none too gentle. That's 1 out of 81 standoffs, and it was my fault. Your FUD is calling, they want their mojo back.

Sir-Fragalot says:
Not that all cases they make are thin and weak for aluminium but some I've seen are. But as long as they keep doing those crappy standoff clips in those square mouting holes I will NEVER buy a Lian-Li and I don't care what anyone says. That's a crappy design and is inexcusable considering the cost of thier cases.

Actually I would prefer those standoffs. They are a pain to put in though, but once in they DO NOT loosen up or come out as they are forced to lock with the case.

jacuzz1 says:

Hmmm.....mine came with plain old threaded steel standoffs unless they were plated steel.

jacuzz1 says:

Hmmm.....mine came with plain old threaded steel standoffs unless they were plated steel. The bag that the nut driver cam in was a a ziplock, but all the other hardware came in little sealed bags that I had to open to get it out.

I have discussed these issues with a couple of L-L dealers and I think all these differences we are seeing in packaging/parts/assembly is that L-L is seeking to reduce costs. One dealer told me that L-L has been having some $$ problems and they have been having very small exhibits at the various shows they still go to.

So...I think that the famous Lian-Li name is taking a slight downturn :mad:

Top Nurse said:
I have discussed these issues with a couple of L-L dealers and I think all these differences we are seeing in packaging/parts/assembly is that L-L is seeking to reduce costs. One dealer told me that L-L has been having some $$ problems and they have been having very small exhibits at the various shows they still go to.

So...I think that the famous Lian-Li name is taking a slight downturn :mad:

I disagree. Lian Li's newest cases are their best in a long line of excellent cases. They are as well made if not better than any other case on the market. If you want a top of the line case, you want a Lian Li.

JSquid said:
I disagree. Lian Li's newest cases are their best in a long line of excellent cases. They are as well made if not better than any other case on the market. If you want a top of the line case, you want a Lian Li.
I'll have to agree with you here .... I absolutely love my V2000B :cool:

Hmmm.....well I went and checked out a couple of different dealers that had L-L cases today and they ALL had this loose drive problem to one degree or another. Living in So Cal has some benefits :p

BTW, if you have had any L-L boxes that had a sticker on the side of it that says <JCL> then you had a L-L that came from Silver PCS or their parent company JCL => http://www.bridgeview.com/

To start with I own two LianLi cases, 60U and 68. Last month bought a V1000B and after examining it in and out I took it back. Anyway the case had a couple of defects that bothered me. Just to be fair ALL case manufactures have issues with quality control one way or another. Last summer I bought a Cooler Master Stacker and couldn't believe what a poor quality it was. The famous spots on top of the case. Right removable side panel sat uneven compared to other side due to uneven cut. On and on so I replaced it with another just to find out it wasn't any better. I have about 10 different cases at home and I know good quality when I see one. Right now I have the Thermaltake V8000 on order and I'm looking forward to seeing its finishing quality.

ok...this is messed up

check out neweggs pictures
mainly the motherboard standoff holes in pictures 5 and 12...

newegg gallery

notice something different about the two?

LiLis are of high quality......ive never owned one bu ive seen them and handled them.......great cases and if i didnt need a video card/PSU so bad id kill for one.

notice something different about the two?

Sure...two different mb trays and look at picture 15. It has the same metal standoffs I have previously mentioned and the same plastic bags they are saving $$ on. If they showed the other side of the case it would probably show the same problem I have mentioned as well.

LiLis are of high quality......

Ahh...used to be?

I wish I was laughing too, but alas this is thee case for a H20 job I doing right now. When I get home this evening I will post some more info I obtained from the importer. All the L-L detractors will be laughing and the L-L lovers screaming. More pics up later tonight as well.

LOL I also am wondering how many people never took off their back panel to even see the problem?

All good things must come to an end..

Heard that Antec PSU's are going down the drizian too

Top Nurse said:
It appears that Lian-Li's quality is going to hell. I wonder if they got an alcoholic or a tweaker doing their QC? 2 weeks ago I got a CD bezel that was either not anodized properly or had such a rough finish that it looked like shit. Just got a PC-V1200 and some idiot had bent the bottom of the case near where the wheels attach...pissed me off because it was obviously done during assembly and there was a nice QC sticker about 5" from it. I also found metal shavings in the case and another part of the case was missing some anodizing. It don't take a lot of crap leaving the factory to ruin your good name

Maybe Lian-Li finally decided to make their cases in mainland China? Curious to hear about anyone else's experience?

Mainland China > J00

Back