official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

ok i got mine last friday and i love it its runs 100% better then the asus i Had the asus also. ive hit 280FSB at 9x multi 4htt. and ram at 166 i think. ive got to 312fsb with a 8 multi but i crashed any higher think its an NF4 volt prob i was runing stock volt there the only prob that ive had with this mobo is that i cant seem to get the Vcore past 1.55 which sucks cuz i cant push it past 2.55 without another .25volts. im runign one 6600gt leadtek with the New Zalman VF700-CU cooler. with the PCI-x slots being so close i dont know if i can fit a second 6600gt with the zalman cooler on the cuz the backplate sticks up about 1/4 inch from the card. my Zalman 7700-cu cpu cooler fits Very nicely on the mobo not coming near any Caps. and the Chipset cooler cools the NF4 chip very well it runs about 29-30c at load compared to the 35-38c on the Asus that i was geting. i think that is all i have to say for now (other then
I LOVE THIS MOBO

I'm really enjoying my MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI. Currently I'm not taking advantage of the SLI feature, but have that in reserve as a potential upgrade path.

Everything else is completely solid!

Love it!

HighTest said:
I'm really enjoying my MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI. Currently I'm not taking advantage of the SLI feature, but have that in reserve as a potential upgrade path.

Everything else is completely solid!

Love it!

yeah same here, i just built the system in my sig and everything is ROCK SOLID im playing all my games at 1280x1024 with all the detail maxed and 2xAA and 4xAA and its so smooth

and i know that im going to have to get the second 6800 for SLI just because im a geek like that lol :D

only thing is i need to learn how the BIOS works to do some overclocking that cell menu is all new to me since i have not done any overclocking since the NF2 days :)

d3fc0n5 said:
ok i got mine last friday and i love it its runs 100% better then the asus i Had the asus also. ive hit 280FSB at 9x multi 4htt. and ram at 166 i think. ive got to 312fsb with a 8 multi but i crashed any higher think its an NF4 volt prob i was runing stock volt there the only prob that ive had with this mobo is that i cant seem to get the Vcore past 1.55 which sucks cuz i cant push it past 2.55 without another .25volts. im runign one 6600gt leadtek with the New Zalman VF700-CU cooler. with the PCI-x slots being so close i dont know if i can fit a second 6600gt with the zalman cooler on the cuz the backplate sticks up about 1/4 inch from the card. my Zalman 7700-cu cpu cooler fits Very nicely on the mobo not coming near any Caps. and the Chipset cooler cools the NF4 chip very well it runs about 29-30c at load compared to the 35-38c on the Asus that i was geting. i think that is all i have to say for now (other then
I LOVE THIS MOBO

What PSU are you running with it? I'm thinking of ordering a very similar setup and am curious as to if my 435w 20-pin enermax will hold it for a while until I get enought to get a decent OCZ or I was looking at the Fortron Blue Storm 500w (I realize that the fortron doesn't have a -5v line, so I already have the parts to make an inverter to nullify that issue)

Any of you guys know a PSU with - 5V & 2 rails of 12V, 'cause all PSU's I have searched for only have one of those

Jbace said:
Any of you guys know a PSU with - 5V & 2 rails of 12V, 'cause all PSU's I have searched for only have one of those

PC Power & Cooling has them. As well as some of the OCZ PowerStream/ModStream.

Or you could do what I plan on and just chose the best power supply that you need, and use an inverter to make a -5v line. The inverter's are cheap (maybe $2.00 if you get one locally, or some companies will let you order a small "sample order" for free) and easy to make.

nst6563:

Any link to see how those inverters looks like....or any site where I can get one.... :confused:

Jbace said:
nst6563:

Any link to see how those inverters looks like....or any site where I can get one.... :confused:

hehe...I'll give you the same link that FreiDOg sent me :)
ICL7660S
look halfway down and you'll see a blue sample button. click that and just fill out the information. I put all my real information in, including the company I'm with and the real reason I would like a "sample" and they shipped it out the next day and it showed up in my office 2 days later. There is also a link to the datasheet at the top of the list on that page, and in there is a simple circuit to just invert a +5v line to get -5v (basically you need two capacitors and that's it). Current shouldn't be an issue since most PSU's have only .5A or .3A on the -5v line to begin with (my enermax has a full 1A for the 5v and 36A for the +12v :eek: )

:EDIT: btw, if you do a sample order, don't get greedy. I only ordered 1 and there was no question about it. the smaller the sample order, the less likely they are to question it.

nst6563 said:
hehe...I'll give you the same link that FreiDOg sent me :)
ICL7660S
look halfway down and you'll see a blue sample button. click that and just fill out the information. I put all my real information in, including the company I'm with and the real reason I would like a "sample" and they shipped it out the next day and it showed up in my office 2 days later. There is also a link to the datasheet at the top of the list on that page, and in there is a simple circuit to just invert a +5v line to get -5v (basically you need two capacitors and that's it). Current shouldn't be an issue since most PSU's have only .5A or .3A on the -5v line to begin with (my enermax has a full 1A for the 5v and 36A for the +12v :eek: )

:EDIT: btw, if you do a sample order, don't get greedy. I only ordered 1 and there was no question about it. the smaller the sample order, the less likely they are to question it.

In fact I have experience with ordering samples (from Texas instruments, On-Semi and Dallas Semiconductor), but I ordered IC's (Integrated circuits: Logic Gates, RTC's, even a DSP :D )

My only "problem" is that I'm not in the States or Canada but Mexico....... :( and finding new stuff is quite hard around here (The few distribuitors and retailers are a bunch of greddy assholes).

But thanks anyway pal, I´ll figure it out...thx a lot

EDIT:

Now I see, is an IC....hehehehe, first time I tought you were talking about some cable adapter or something......in that case I can "design" something like that....I'm actually an Electronics Teacher...

hehe...sorry I wasn't more specific. my bad :rolleyes:

I majored in electronics but never finished the degree (ended up having to get a full time job to pay for school and the job just kinda took over).

Im sorry guys but i hate this board and im on my third one so far. I can not get my money back to get something else since the local store i got it at only does exchange. First board never posted would not even turn on, second would just stay at the platnuim screen(press tab or del) and would not go past that. Im kicking myself in the head for buying this now and not waiting awhile. But im glad everyone else is having good luck
using fx-53 and enermax 600w noisetaker

do you possibly have a short on the board somewhere that's touching the case? I had that with an Abit IS7, went through 3 of them at first. Ran the third right out of the mb box it came in. When I stuck it back in my case (Supermicro super mid-tower) it lasted about 2 days and *poof*. Ordered a new Antec case when I rma'd the third one and haven't had a problem since. Guess the supermicro case got warped or something...dunno. I coated the whole mb tray with that spray on bedliner to prevent the shorts and put my old p3 board back in.

On xtremesystems.org it seems that there are more people having problems with the DFI boards than there are with the MSI's. could just be that more people there got the DFI's too...

I'm thinking of getting a non-SLI version. Is there a significant difference between the SLI and non-SLI version?

hehe...the SBLive! chip and about $30...oh yeah, and of course the missing sli capability.

nst6563 said:
What PSU are you running with it? I'm thinking of ordering a very similar setup and am curious as to if my 435w 20-pin enermax will hold it for a while until I get enought to get a decent OCZ or I was looking at the Fortron Blue Storm 500w (I realize that the fortron doesn't have a -5v line, so I already have the parts to make an inverter to nullify that issue)

Actually the Fortron Blue Storm 500w does have the -5v line. At least here is a wire for it there and my board runs the creative chip just fine. I've had 0 problems so far.

Lowbatt said:
Actually the Fortron Blue Storm 500w does have the -5v line. At least here is a wire for it there and my board runs the creative chip just fine. I've had 0 problems so far.

really? dang...it doesn't even mention it in the specs that I saw on newegg, and nowhere on the sticker that's posted on newegg does it list a -5v line...wonder if other PSU's are like that???

thanks for that info though. curious though as to why they don't even mention it... :confused:

nst6563 said:
really? dang...it doesn't even mention it in the specs that I saw on newegg, and nowhere on the sticker that's posted on newegg does it list a -5v line...wonder if other PSU's are like that???

thanks for that info though. curious though as to why they don't even mention it... :confused:

Yea I was worried because I placed the order and then found out about the -5v line issue. But I've had no problems and the sound works great so. I noticed the line isn't even listed in the manual but the pin has a wire in the right spot. The power supply is great btw.

Lowbatt said:
Yea I was worried because I placed the order and then found out about the -5v line issue. But I've had no problems and the sound works great so. I noticed the line isn't even listed in the manual but the pin has a wire in the right spot. The power supply is great btw.

cool...now I just have to decide on the 400w blue storm or the 500w :p ... I really don't need a 500w since I'll just be using the neo4 sli, a single 6600gt, 2 7200rpm hdd's, a few usb devices, and a dvd writer.

When you guys OC your NEO4s do you bump the NF4 chipset voltage? I'm having a heck of a time getting over 210 FSB 1:1. Not sure what's giving me problems. Other components (in case something sticks out).

3200+ Winchester
Single 6600GT (Gigabyte)
1GB G.Skill LE (TCCD)
74GB Raptor
Rosewill 500W with 20pin-24pin adapter (ordered a OCZ Powerstream, but not here yet :( )

This setup runs fine at stock speeds with memory timings of 2-2-2. Just won't go higher than 210 stable with any kind of memory timings.

This may not be the right place, but does anyone know where to disable the SATA sil controller? It slows down my boot time and I don't see options in the bios. Could someone help me out?

just bought this like an hour ago off cheifvalue.com. totaly new comp
msi k8n neo4
athlon 64 3000+ (retail)
gforce 6600 GT http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?item=14-145-098
mushkin 1 gig pc3200 ddr400
seagate 80 gig hard drive.
all going into a COOLER MASTER Cavalier 3 (black)
alll that for $796

parts to scavange from my old comp. benq dvd burner 1620, PVR 150.logitech 5500
does the mobo come with a internet card?

looks decent. similar to what I was going to get. by "internet card" do you mean Ethernet card? Lan card? if so...then yes, it has two of them (at least the sli version does, I know the non-sli at least comes with one).

If you're meaning a modem...then no...

kirbyrj said:
When you guys OC your NEO4s do you bump the NF4 chipset voltage? I'm having a heck of a time getting over 210 FSB 1:1. Not sure what's giving me problems. Other components (in case something sticks out).

3200+ Winchester
Single 6600GT (Gigabyte)
1GB G.Skill LE (TCCD)
74GB Raptor
Rosewill 500W with 20pin-24pin adapter (ordered a OCZ Powerstream, but not here yet :( )

This setup runs fine at stock speeds with memory timings of 2-2-2. Just won't go higher than 210 stable with any kind of memory timings.

Im having some wierd behavior with that too. I have my chipset voltage at 1.75. I have been able to run 3Dmark2001 at 230FSB, 1:1, 5x HT 2.5,8,3,3 but it isn't prime95 stable. I then tried 250FSB, 9:10, 207mem 4XHT and was able to run 3DMark2001 but again not Prime95 stable. I currently have the FSB at 237 and the memory at 213 and it doesn't even run prime 95 until I boost the vcore up to 1.5v. I don't get it. I'll keep testing. I gotta find the sweet spot for this setup. I can't live with running it stock or a low ass overclock. :)

Max-Powers said:
will a 350w power supply be enough for what i mentioned above?
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?item=11-119-065

I would recomend a Larger PSU NOW while in the building stage so you dont have to worry about it later. This is still the One componet I see so many folks that put together a top notch system only to try and power it with to small or a poor brand of PSU. I would Highly recomend A good brand Name and if it were me I would go no less then 500w if possible. Another thing to rember when looking at PSU's is also the amperage on things like the +12v line. Here is another area I would make sure to get the Maximum. Anything close to and over 30amps on the 12v+ is awesome. Besides If you got an SLI and even if your running 1 card now you may wanna upgrade and get another card later. Do you plan to Overclock at all? a Good and bad PSU can make or break you there to. Look at Brands Like PC pwr and Cooling and OCZ and Antec and Zippy. All good brands.

I have actually seen this board refuse to post with a 20-pin Antec 350 (SL series) power supply, the only change that was made was to add the power adapter to make it a 24-pin and the thing posted no problem.

Just be aware of this...

tesfaye said:
Im having some wierd behavior with that too. I have my chipset voltage at 1.75. I have been able to run 3Dmark2001 at 230FSB, 1:1, 5x HT 2.5,8,3,3 but it isn't prime95 stable. I then tried 250FSB, 9:10, 207mem 4XHT and was able to run 3DMark2001 but again not Prime95 stable. I currently have the FSB at 237 and the memory at 213 and it doesn't even run prime 95 until I boost the vcore up to 1.5v. I don't get it. I'll keep testing. I gotta find the sweet spot for this setup. I can't live with running it stock or a low ass overclock. :)

Well I would recomend actually droping your HTT multi to 3 or 2.5 x as it wont hurt performance and its been a known fact that the Nforce3 and 4 chipsets prefer this when Ocing. Most people I have talked to said the gained absolutly nothing by volatge increase to the Chipset. this board and what you have should be able to run 250 to 275 FSB with mem timings of 2.5-3-3-7 with good TCCD mem and @ 2.65 to 2.85 Vidmm volts. No mem divider 1:1. and you will have to increase the Vcore as well. The Vcore is the CPU voltage and anytime you run up the FSB you may have to add Vcore to make it stable. Be carfull though to much Vcore can fry your Board or CPU. On some set ups I have seen people running Vcore as high as 1.85 to 1.90. But then again they are runing pretty awesome cooling Like Phase change.

Captin Insano said:
Well I would recomend actually droping your HTT multi to 3 or 2.5 x as it wont hurt performance and its been a known fact that the Nforce3 and 4 chipsets prefer this when Ocing. Most people I have talked to said the gained absolutly nothing by volatge increase to the Chipset. this board and what you have should be able to run 250 to 275 FSB with mem timings of 2.5-3-3-7 with good TCCD mem and @ 2.65 to 2.85 Vidmm volts. No mem divider 1:1. and you will have to increase the Vcore as well. The Vcore is the CPU voltage and anytime you run up the FSB you may have to add Vcore to make it stable. Be carfull though to much Vcore can fry your Board or CPU. On some set ups I have seen people running Vcore as high as 1.85 to 1.90. But then again they are runing pretty awesome cooling Like Phase change.

Gracias, I will reboot and try that now. I always wodered about that HT bus. 1000MHZ when the memory is only 400. It never made sense. Then again I haven't done a lot of reading on the subject. Anyhow, thanks for the tip. I will try it now and let yall know what I get.

Captin Insano,

That worked. My memory is crap. I can't go any higher than 210MHZ. When I played with the divider and dropped the memory to 5:10 I was able to boot into windows at max 265 FSB. Prime ran longer without crashing. I have it at 234x10 (2340mhz), 9:10 mem (210mem) vcore 1.55 + .083% and so far prime is stable. Im leaving this running while I go check out Hitch with my GF. Hopefully its still running when I get back. :) Thanks for the tip!

Captin Insano said:
yes it does hurt performance i just ran aquamark 6 time 3 times at 2.016Ghz 9x, 5xHTT,224 FSB, HTT at 1120... and then i ran it three more times. same clock and stuff but the HTT was at 4 for a HTT of 896. and there was a 717 point average differance. i know that isint alot in aquamark but there still is a decent diff in performance. but proly at a higher clock the ponit diff wouldnt bee as much

d3fc0n5 said:
yes it does hurt performance i just ran aquamark 6 time 3 times at 2.016Ghz 9x, 5xHTT,224 FSB, HTT at 1120... and then i ran it three more times. same clock and stuff but the HTT was at 4 for a HTT of 896. and there was a 717 point average differance. i know that isint alot in aquamark but there still is a decent diff in performance. but proly at a higher clock the ponit diff wouldnt bee as much

So what your saying is that you left the Cpu at stock settings and lowered the htt multi down and you got a decrease in performance.umm of course it would hurt it then. But the whole reason for lowering it is not so you can leave it at stock fsb and stuff. Its so you can crank up the fsb. Thing to remeber is this:

If you are running a 200 fsb with a htt multi of 5 that puts you at the max of 1000 HTT speed.
Now lets leave that 200FSB and then lower the HTT to 4x and you end up with 800htt speed.
BUT lets now run a 225 FSB and with the stock 5x HTT multi.... prolly wont boot cause running a HTT speed of 1125. The max is 1000.
Now lets take that same 225 FSb and lower the HTT to 4X and you get 900 HTT speed but the gain you got from incraesing the overall FSB via CPU/MEM/MOBO and the overclock in Ghz of Cpu speed now out weighs any loss that there could have been from a lower HTT multi. You will find that most guys that run Oced pretty good are running HTT @ 2.5x to 3x and have the FSB cranked up to 250 up to 295 fsb.
So what did that do for the mem: well the FSB @ 275 with no divider will get you DDR550. Quite a bit faster then DDR400. settings as well as a major increase in cpu speed. One other thing to remember is dont base everything off of 1 benchmark alone. Take Super Pi for instance all it cares about is pure MHZ. not bandwidth. The more upper clock and FSB you get from your MEM and CPU the less to no impact that setting will have.

The Cpt.

Captin Insano said:

I dropped the HTT multi to x2.5 and it posted first try at 230mhz. Before, I would only drop it to x4 and then it would sometimes post and sometimes not at anything over 220. Testing stability with Prime95 right now. And the whole time I thought it was my powersupply :(. Ah well, I suppose when my OCZ arrives I can always save this one for a rainy day :).

OK. Now it runs fine at 230mhz, but not Prime95 stable at 240. Motherboard will Post on and off again at 240 (boy do I hate reaching for that CMOS reset button and fixing the time every couple minutes). I'll keep tweaking and see if I can find a sweet spot for this chip.

Did anyone get one of those D Bracket 2's in their packaging? It said it was an optional item, but my UPC on the box said D Bracket 2. I don't really need the USB ports but the LEDs to figure out problems when trying to post might have been helpful.

My Platinum SLI is at 280 HTT with 1.525 CPU volts,2.75 memory volts and everything else at default. HT is 3X ,CPU multiplier is 9 from 11 default. This is in SLI mode with 2 6600 Gt cards and 2 raptors in raid 0 on the Nvidia controller ports 1 and 2.

CMAN said:
My Platinum SLI is at 280 HTT with 1.525 CPU volts,2.75 memory volts and everything else at default. HT is 3X ,CPU multiplier is 9 from 11 default. This is in SLI mode with 2 6600 Gt cards and 2 raptors in raid 0 on the Nvidia controller ports 1 and 2.

Nice work ;) Thats a good OC. :D

kirbyrj said:
Did anyone get one of those D Bracket 2's in their packaging? It said it was an optional item, but my UPC on the box said D Bracket 2. I don't really need the USB ports but the LEDs to figure out problems when trying to post might have been helpful.

I have to call NewEgg about mine. It was missing from the box and it stated that it should have been in there. I had one from an old MSI mobo and I am using that. I still want my DBracket damnit!

Back