Case mod...best paint for aluminium?

diablo111

[H]ard|Gawd
Well here's the story. There's a "local" computer shop...I checked their website for specials and they were blowing out an "All Aluminium" case for $23.99 (Super Flower/TTGI). I thought...hmmm, damn good deal (they had no picture of it though, ...I did a Google search but couldn't find a pic either). So I drove 20+ miles, and they only have one left (whew, good thing I decided to go right away). Then they bring it out:

before.jpg

Well after I pick my jaw up off of the floor, I asked if he was joking...nope, this is THE case.

Well, not wanting to waste a trip, I picked it up for $23.99 (actually you can get the case at Directron for $69.99...allthough God knows why you would want to...wish I could have seen this before I drove over there). Nice case, well built, light as hell (no steel at all). The interior is black, so I was going to paint the exterior black to match (all the painted panels come free from the internal structure).

So to wrap up a long post, what would be the best paint for it? I know I'm going to have to sand the crap out of it...but hey, it should be a fun project...but I want to get a decent finish when I'm done. What spray paint would be the best?

Thanks.

AMD Duron 1.2GHz
Iwill K7S3-N
256MB Crucial PC-2100
Diamond Viper V770 32MB TNT2
Onboard SIS Sound
Onboard SIS 10/100 nic
Western Digital WD200 20GB HDD
MSI CD-RW (soon to be replaced by an Aopen CD-RW/DVD combo drive)
3.5" Floppy
SF/TTGI Aluminium Case w/ 450watt PSU

What the shit? o_O

Anyway, im not exactly sure on alluminum - but i see most people use 'dupli-color' for painting their cases.

Rust-O-Leum high gloss black, perhaps? I know it's made to go on outdoor furniture, wrought iron, the like. Perhaps sanding all that funk off w/ low grit sandpaper and then going metal primer and rustoleum...

http://guides.pimprig.com/

Painting section.

There are a range of very good quality paint brands out there. Whatever you choose, just make sure your primer and color coats are meant to be used together, DON'T mix paint brands or types (ie..laquers, acrylics...).

I have worked at a place where we dealt with automotive paints and the such. As well I do custom Paint work for myself. Here is what I recomend. I would make sure to remove anything plastic of of the case and then use Paint stripper from a auto paint store. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection. spray only on the painted surfaces that you want the paint to be removed from. It will wrinkle and bubble the paint up and scrape off into the trash with putty knife. then rinse of with soap and water. you should have pretty well close to bare metal. After that I would recomend Using 400grit and then up to 600 grit sand paper to scuf the metal. Then using a spray Filler primer coat and let dry I would recomend to wet sand from that point and wet sand the prime lightly with the same grit. wash off and dry and the spray another coat of primer on it let it dry. wet sand 1 more time and then wash and dry. I would recomend getting a Gloss black paint> i would also recomend doing this whole project in Accrylic Enamel base paint. After putting on light coat of gloss black let tack up and then spray another coat. I would do this until the color is even and full on all surfaces. Besure not to spray to much as it will run and sag. Then follow up with after the base coat has tacked up ( not completly dry) with a Clear coat. Same base Acriylic Enamel. do in the same fasion as you did the paint. letting tack up and adding another coat. should not need anymore then 2 to 3 coats of each. let dry and it should be deep dark black with a awesome shine!!!! If you have any question let me know.

One last thing . Man that Fricken paint job on it now sure puts the Uuugg in Ugly!!!

I've seen gay before but this takes the cake.

Just spray anything over it.......throw food at it, as long as there's something covering the ugly flowers.

in the name of all that is good and holy... PAINT THAT CASE SOMETHING! ANYTHING! just use a magic marker, if you must. but spare its pain and either paint it or PUT IT OUT OF ITS MISERY!

MY GOD WTF HAPPENED TO THAT HTING? WAS IT BORN IN THE 60'S? ok ok ok i got a solution i got a 10 gauge sawed off and 10 shells lets have us some fun put that thing out of our messery.

Qtip42 said:
I've seen gay before but this takes the cake.

haha. maybe i should worry a little then because i like it. It's definitely unique.

go to a hobby shop and buy a really cheap airbrush. At mine they sell a kit for $13 that comes with a can of compressed air so you don't have to worry about a compressor. then to the hardware shop for some rustoleum enamel. my favorite is flat black, but they have a bunch. You don't even need to sand it. set the spray to fine. Give it about 10 coates of real thin paint, let it dry bout 10-15 minutes per. In a couple hours it will look kick as. spray on a couple coats of clear coat ( i like the satin, but again theres a couple choices) and don't touch the thing for about a week. Paint needs some time to cure. When you're all done, paint job will cost you about $20-$25, including the airbrush which is always handy to have around.

or just keep it how it is. like i said, it's unique :)

Holy Crap!!!!!! That is the most atrocious thing I have ever seen.

As far as painting goes, I have seen a lot of people using duplicolor. However, with a good primer, i'm not really sure that it matters all that much. I have, however, had some very bad luck with some black Krylon Fusion turning a milky grey when it dried. I may have gotten a bad batch, but I had 3 different cans of black Krylon paint get all wonky when it dried.

I have used Rustoleum. and I liked it a lot. It made a very smooth surface, but did not stick to the aluminum without some primer.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go remove my eyeballs and clean them with lye.

looks like a VW bus I saw at a Phish concert not long ago. (I wasn't at the concert I worked security at the time)

pigpen said:
haha. maybe i should worry a little then because i like it. It's definitely unique.

go to a hobby shop and buy a really cheap airbrush. At mine they sell a kit for $13 that comes with a can of compressed air so you don't have to worry about a compressor. then to the hardware shop for some rustoleum enamel. my favorite is flat black, but they have a bunch. You don't even need to sand it. set the spray to fine. Give it about 10 coates of real thin paint, let it dry bout 10-15 minutes per. In a couple hours it will look kick as. spray on a couple coats of clear coat ( i like the satin, but again theres a couple choices) and don't touch the thing for about a week. Paint needs some time to cure. When you're all done, paint job will cost you about $20-$25, including the airbrush which is always handy to have around.

You scare me......... :eek:

Captin Insano said:
You scare me......... :eek:

[wrist bent at 90 degree angle] oh be nice!

taking a better look at it, is that thing wall papered? LOL!

Hahahah, that is awesome. Nice case, you should show your friends before you paint the case so they can get a good laugh...

I think I just went blind.... nope, definately blind. ;)

I would sand it to bare metal, prime it with black primer, sand it again, prime it again, sand it again (Repeat until the finish is glass smooth to the touch).

Then, paint it gloss black (3-5 coats, fine grit sanding in between), then clear coat it.

Wax it, and your paint job will be a mile thick and beautiful.

Or, at least, better than that.

Yikes.... I am, well, in shock....

aaaaahahahahaha

id pay to have been able to see the expression on your face when he brought that out to you.

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm going to paint it black I've decided. I've done some inconspicuous test sanding and the paint comes off pretty easy...I'll post updates this weekend.

diablo111 said:
Well here's the story. There's a "local" computer shop...I checked their website for specials and they were blowing out an "All Aluminium" case for $23.99 (Super Flower/TTGI). I thought...hmmm, damn good deal (they had no picture of it though, ...I did a Google search but couldn't find a pic either). So I drove 20+ miles, and they only have one left (whew, good thing I decided to go right away). Then they bring it out:

before.jpg

Well after I pick my jaw up off of the floor, I asked if he was joking...nope, this is THE case.

Holy-Shit its the Partridge Family's old Computer ? :p :D :D

Yes please Do keep us updated as to how it turns out, OH and don't forget to wear good Sunglass when looking at it, would hate to see ya hurt ya eyes. I to would have loved to have a ring side seat when they brought that out and the look of disbeleif on your face, did ya think ya was in a dream? mAWW HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA, excuse dude.

Good luck with it and have fun, and here is link to Duplicolor you might be able to get some ideas and how to / tips & tricks.

Dre

I just can't believe they actually offered something like this for sale at ANY price.....

They actually PAINTED this on? It's not one of those case skins or something like that? If it is, maybe you can take an Xacto knife and peel it off- save you all that sanding... or at least take an Xacto to it.... :D

First painted panel...my camera sucks...but it did turn out pretty good.

blpanel.jpg

It took waaaaay to long for the panel...aside from my labor, I'm into the case $45 now...should have just put up a little more and got a decent aluminium case, would have saved alot of time...but it seems a bit more fun this way ;)

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
Rust-O-Leum high gloss black, perhaps? I know it's made to go on outdoor furniture, wrought iron, the like. Perhaps sanding all that funk off w/ low grit sandpaper and then going metal primer and rustoleum...
It would best to sand the color off, because everytime you get a nick or chip the pink for sky blue will shile through in all its glory, ESPECIALLY with black paint on top :p

Great paint job too, its ACTUALLY beginning to look like a nice case :)

pigpen said:

Except you'd have to get 5+ cans minimum for that kind of area and with an airbrush it's going to take forever. It'd actually be cheaper to use spray paint.

Back