Antec P180

mdlestat

Limp Gawd
The initial reports said that the P180 would be available towards the end of February, which it's now getting to be...

Anyone heard anything more concrete?

One of the only things (the most significant thing for me) that is holding up my new computer purchase is this case--

I must have it or my face will explode.

( HERE'S a link to a review of what I'm talking about if you aren't already aware of it)

**EDIT 6-3-05

The finalized release date appears to be the end of this month (June).

Many places are showing the case in their listings now, but they are not yet available. Prices look to be in the $130-$160 USD range.

You can also pre-order a special-edition all-black case that is a collaborative effort between Antec and SilentPCReview.com, (see the more recent pages of this thread for the links to the sites that have those.)

mdlestat said:
The initial reports said that the P180 would be available towards the end of February, which it's now getting to be...

Anyone heard anything more concrete?

One of the only things (the most significant thing for me) that is holding up my new computer purchase is this case--

I must have it or my face will explode.

( HERE'S a link to a review of what I'm talking about if you aren't already aware of it)

I know what you mean. Damn that's a good case! I love all the features, the way its organized on the inside and all the 120mm fans!!!! Its got everything I want from a case!!

I actually picked up an inexpensive case to build my system in while waiting on the release of this case... I will definitely be purchasing one when they're available.

wow, that is nice

has everything I want, just wish the HDD cage held one more drive

oh well, I've got lots of plans for my new PC-7

OuTLaWzSm said:
yuck, in my opinion i dont really like the look of it.

Yeah, I agree. Is not the prettiest looking case, especially when you oppen the front bezel, but I like it because of its interior and all the optional 120mm fans it can hold.

Originally Posted by EnderW,
wow, that is nice

has everything I want, just wish the HDD cage held one more drive

oh well, I've got lots of plans for my new PC-7

I think you can buy more HDD cages.

The biggest problem with it (aside from the subjectivity of the styling) is that it isn't aluminum. It's 0.8mm steel everywhere except the hard drive bays. Which means it's only about 0.0315 inches thick. That is only 2/3 as thick as the P160. Sure, the steel is a bit more rigid than the aluminum, but I think 0.8mm is still way too thin. Also, it has only 1 more drive bay than the P160. I see no mention of how heavy it is, but I'd be willing to bet it's a fair amount heftier than the P160.

If it were made of aluminum, I might have waited for it.

steel will not have audible resonation as much as aluminum will.

the case is meant mainly for the silence oriented crowd with
Plastic / aluminum multi-layer panels for high acoustic damping (like Antec Aria)

which should also make it more rigid.

HaMMerHeD said:
The biggest problem with it (aside from the subjectivity of the styling) is that it isn't aluminum. It's 0.8mm steel everywhere except the hard drive bays. Which means it's only about 0.0315 inches thick. That is only 2/3 as thick as the P160. Sure, the steel is a bit more rigid than the aluminum, but I think 0.8mm is still way too thin. Also, it has only 1 more drive bay than the P160. I see no mention of how heavy it is, but I'd be willing to bet it's a fair amount heftier than the P160.

If it were made of aluminum, I might have waited for it.

Huh, I didn't noticed it was a steel case, I thought it was aluminum. Well that sucks! I can't have heavy cases, I travel with my PC every 4 to 5 months. Damn, I like that case so much.

Me wants it so bad :p
People, please read the previews:
The case is aluminum/plastic/aluminum layered!!!!
It look like it has everything you could want, plenty of space, 120mm fans everywhere (and it large numbers :)), isolated thermal zones, cpu/video ducts, removable hd cages, silicone grommets, [/drools] P180 [/drools]

If I hadn't just bought my Sonata.... nah, still would've picked up the Sonata. But, DAMN, is that case purty.

/end.drool

ikellensbro said:
It look like it has everything you could want, plenty of space, 120mm fans everywhere (and it large numbers :)), isolated thermal zones, cpu/video ducts, removable hd cages, silicone grommets, [/drools] P180 [/drools]

Right... I forgot I read that from the preview/review at The Tech Lounge. Damn my memory sucks...

Drucifer said:
If I hadn't just bought my Sonata.... nah, still would've picked up the Sonata. But, DAMN, is that case purty.

/end.drool
... perhaps you havn't seen the Sonata II

Released at the same time as the P180.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:D

I still like the mini-fridge high tech clean look of the Antec P180. Oh god damn I wish I hadn't purchased my Super Lanboy now. I are jealous.

I'm wondering what PSU will be coming with it..and what will fit.

I want as silent as I can get, so I am thinking about a fanless unit if the stocker isn't good.

I figure with that dedicated 120mm fan right behind (did I mention what a cool fucking case this is? ) it blowing the heat out that any fanless will still stay plenty cool.

Oh-- and for those that don't like the look....eh-- your call--tastes vary.

I happen to fuqing love the look, but even if it looked like a wookie's ass I'd still buy it in a heartbeat for the features and functionality alone. Looks are a diiiistant second to me.

:)

ikellensbro said:

Read the datasheet retard. It very clearly says "0.8mm cold rolled steel"

The side and top PANELS are aluminum and plastic layers. The chassis (you know, the actual important part that holds all the bits together) is steel.

mdlestat said:
... perhaps you havn't seen the Sonata II
Released at the same time as the P180.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:D

God, that is sweet... I think I need to change my underwear...

But that's okay, I am making a few, albeit small chagnes to my Sonata... plus, my wife gave me money and said "Go get it, honey". I'm not gonna argue with that!

The duct is interesting... I just don't think it will be nearly as effective as they (Antec) thinks. Too many channels and bends for air to go around, thus decresing velocity and volume. However.... it gives me an idea.... hmmmm....

I could duct my Sonata, use the holes in the side to pull air in and down through the open area by the PSU... I need to look at my case when I get home, I smell a mod!

CES 2005: A Silencentric Summation

Aluminum-plastic-aluminum composite, damped panels for the sides, top and front door.
0.8mm cold rolled steel for primary structure, 1.0mm cold rolled steel for additional mass dampening of the quad-HDD section.

Well, since the Antec rep in one of the links EnderW posted above was saying as early as 2 weeks ago that the P180 was still in pre-production and not even finalized yet, I decided to say fuggit and placed the order for my computer from Newegg-- I just ordered a cheapo place-holder case ($22 Raidmax) to hold my new setup until the P180 comes in.

Got a 400W
Seasonic Super Silencer PSU to go with it-- Depending on how it sounds, I may keep it for the Antec, or could still replace it with another fanless model...we'll see...

Either way, I'm happy:)

yeah, I was gonna cancel my PC-7 order today, but performance PCs was going charge me a restocking fee, so I said forget it

the P180 may be quiet, but the Lian Li will be more mod-friendly

p180 won't be coming with a psu included. (buy your own affair)

But what they showed in it at the trade show was Antec's New top of the line Phantom PSU.

The Phantom 500

It's a fanless 500w psu (well not fanless, it has one 80mm fan, but it only runs when the psu gets to a certian temp, one that you choose)

Anyone heard anything about the release date for this thing? It should be any time now...

I have seen the .pdf file for it as a marketing doc so soon I hope. I'd say by the end of March or sometime in April. I keep watching the Antec.com site, but nothing yet. :(

I say may at the earliest....this case does look veeery nice indeed. I like the PSU on the bottom, leaves the top of the case wide open for a nice 3x120mm radiator for a future watercooling upgrade (would only take up 2 5.5" drive bays too). The door is nice, and I like that it can rotate 270 degrees. I for one really like the minimalistic looks, I wonder how easy good wire management will be in this case though, looks like it might be a bit cramped.

I think this case would be great for a low end water cooling system lol. Its a shame I already bought my beloved Super Lanboy because I think if I would have known, I would have gotten this instead =D.

KrakenGuy said:
I think this case would be great for a low end water cooling system lol. Its a shame I already bought my beloved Super Lanboy because I think if I would have known, I would have gotten this instead =D.

Hell it looks like the case would be great for a high end water cooling system :)

I think think case would look great in my freaking HOUSE....if the damned thing would ever get itself released...

HTML:
It is always impossible to say "exactly" when a product will arrive in a
particular market. For example, unforeseen and unpredictable delays in
shipping or customs clearance can sometimes result in extra weeks of delay
despite our best efforts. I think we can safely say that the P180 will be
available around the end of April.

Best regards,

SCOTT RICHARDS
Worldwide Vice President of Sales & Marketing

I think this means that April sometime, and end of april by the latest. My comp is being sent from the US to Australia and is expected in 4-6 weeks, and I reckon that the P180 will be out by then.

jermaink said:
HTML:
It is always impossible to say "exactly" when a product will arrive in a
particular market. For example, unforeseen and unpredictable delays in
shipping or customs clearance can sometimes result in extra weeks of delay
despite our best efforts. I think we can safely say that the P180 will be
available around the end of April.

Best regards,

SCOTT RICHARDS
Worldwide Vice President of Sales & Marketing

I think this means that April sometime, and end of april by the latest. My comp is being sent from the US to Australia and is expected in 4-6 weeks, and I reckon that the P180 will be out by then.
so you're in Australia?

Yep.

That quote I found was from some other forum somewhere, but I'm presuming that he meant for the US.

I'm just having all the bits of a computer delivered to me in Aus, and hopefully the P180 should be out when it arrives.

Thanks for posting that man-- at least now I have a realistic target date for the thing to hit the market :)

I just grabbed me an Antec Neopower for my next rig. When I got it out of the box, one of the first things I noticed was that the ATX cable (part of the non-modular attached group of cables) sits on the left side of the PSU--the side that will be viewable through a window. Just about every other PSU I've seen has the bunch of cables coming from the right side of the PSU, generally toward the interior of the case, when viewed from the left side.

What intrigues me about this P180 is that if the PSU is sitting on the bottom of the case, especially one like the Neopower with only one fan, could you turn the PSU upside down? This would place the one fan on top, sucking in air and exhausting it?

I know this isn't making much sense... Anybody with a Neopower know what I mean here?

A related question: if the PSU cannot be placed in upside down, as it were, would the bottom fan be able to pull in enough air if it is close to the bottom of the case?

What a sweet idea if it works out, though....

Lawdog

Back