AC Aquastream / Aquaero info needed

Top Nurse

Supreme [H]ardness
What is the skinny on the Aqua Computer Aquastream pump and its corresponding control panel? BTW, I am ordering an AC Aquaero VFD device for my temp, flow, and fan control. What if any hardware or software integration is available between the Aquaero and the Aquastream?

The AC pump is simply an eheim 1048 I think, just a DC version. The aquaero I think can monitor the rpms of the pump or something like that, not sure if it can control it I think just monitor it. Dan would know more.

:raises hand:

The Aquastream 12v (current revision is 3) is a modified Eheim 1046 by Eheim for Aqua-Computer's use. You can "overclock" the control board to force it to act as if it were a 1048, increased pressure over the standard pump output. The OC can be done via a self made jumper on the serial port on the rear of the control board or via the Aquaero's software interface. The aquaero can set "fill mode" and monitor the pump's health as well. You can also allow the computer to shut down in case of pump failure.

For quicker responses post @ SNTforum or in the official SNT/AC thread in this same section. :D

-Dan

Not 100% correct. If you have a 3.0 controller overclocking via jumper will not work anymore! You will have to use the aquaero (or a not yet available controller).

If you use the pump with aquaero you could overclock it via aquaero itself or with a small software-tool which will be receive a big update within the next days.

But there is a nice trick. Just for example if you would buy the aquastream from Dan. He could connect the controller to the aquaero one time and set the hz to xx. The controller will save that value and run with it even the aquaero is not connected.

Thanks for the updated data and for the trick. Its great to see you AC folks helping out over here. :)

-Dan

Always remeber: I do not work for AC. I'm just a normal User :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the answers :) Now the big question is...is everything on the SNT site in stock? If not how long to get a Aquastream, Aquaero, and a flow sensor?

Top Nurse said:
Thanks so much for the answers :) Now the big question is...is everything on the SNT site in stock? If not how long to get a Aquastream, Aquaero, and a flow sensor?

The items that are not currently in stock will be available soon. Im releasing an order from abroad extremely soon. :)

Shoggy said:
Always remeber: I do not work for AC. I'm just a normal User :rolleyes:

Yes I know but your experience is welcomed.

-Dan

I am just getting into the watercooling scene and it looks like I will be going with stuff from snt also. I like the quality and the looks plus from the forums, it looks like there is great customer support. I don't know how soon I will be ordering but I can't wait. Do you have any information on what an ideal setup would be for cooling cpu right now but vid card later and then I want to also get a really nice looking external res... any suggestions would be great :D

The Aquastream 12v (current revision is 3) is a modified Eheim 1046 by Eheim for Aqua-Computer's use. You can "overclock" the control board to force it to act as if it were a 1048, increased pressure over the standard pump output.

Okay now I'm all ears. The only way I know to increase pressure in a DC pump device is to increase the voltage going to said device which increases the rpm. So am I correct in assuming that the Aquastream pump controller board also has a DC-DC converter to boost the voltage? Would it be a good assumption that the converter is going to 18vdc?

I bring this up because I have a German designed (Gemini) DC servo computer drive for my telescope. While it is designed to work on the US standard of 12vdc it also works at a voltage of 18vdc which I understand is the standard voltage in Germany. In fact my servo drive works a hell of a lot better on 18vdc...it increases power to the servos by about 50-70%.

tehspankeh said:
I am just getting into the watercooling scene and it looks like I will be going with stuff from snt also. I like the quality and the looks plus from the forums, it looks like there is great customer support. I don't know how soon I will be ordering but I can't wait. Do you have any information on what an ideal setup would be for cooling cpu right now but vid card later and then I want to also get a really nice looking external res... any suggestions would be great :D

I would wait off and find out when I will be receiving the first Cuplex XT units for best cooling performance before making an order. I should have them in a month or so but I wont know until the official release across seas. I will be allowing a pre-order of the blocks to get them as soon as possible. Pricing is not set yet.

Adding a GPU block at a later time wont be much of an issue besides draining the loop of fluids and refilling.

An Airplex Evo 120 is best to keep cooling high and simple, almost any pump is suitable for use with these low flow systems but I always suggest Eheim or Hydor.

Top Nurse said:
Okay now I'm all ears. The only way I know to increase pressure in a DC pump device is to increase the voltage going to said device which increases the rpm. So am I correct in assuming that the Aquastream pump controller board also has a DC-DC converter to boost the voltage? Would it be a good assumption that the converter is going to 18vdc?

The current is what is increased to provide the Overclocking effect. Via the Aquaero, I boost from 47Hz to 70Hz with no problems. I dont suggest going beyond 70.

-Dan

[S]nt|Mods said:
I would wait off and find out when I will be receiving the first Cuplex XT units for best cooling performance before making an order. I should have them in a month or so but I wont know until the official release across seas. I will be allowing a pre-order of the blocks to get them as soon as possible. Pricing is not set yet.

Adding a GPU block at a later time wont be much of an issue besides draining the loop of fluids and refilling.

An Airplex Evo 120 is best to keep cooling high and simple, almost any pump is suitable for use with these low flow systems but I always suggest Eheim or Hydor.

The current is what is increased to provide the Overclocking effect. Via the Aquaero, I boost from 47Hz to 70Hz with no problems. I dont suggest going beyond 70.

-Dan

I was looking at this kit or the 240... the diff is the rad, is there that much diff do you think or can i be safe with the smaller one?

http://snt-systems.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=36

then i would just need the cpu block and another res that i want to mount externally... is the res in that kit sufficient by itself or is a whole other res needed? Innovatek has a nice res that I wish I saw on your site :(

As for holding off, cool, I will wait, was going to do all this in like a month any way so thats cool :D what will be the diff between the current cpu block and the new one they are releasing? my specs are in my sig if you have any suggestions for it....

tehspankeh said:
I was looking at this kit or the 240... the diff is the rad, is there that much diff do you think or can i be safe with the smaller one?

http://snt-systems.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=36

then i would just need the cpu block and another res that i want to mount externally... is the res in that kit sufficient by itself or is a whole other res needed? Innovatek has a nice res that I wish I saw on your site :(

As for holding off, cool, I will wait, was going to do all this in like a month any way so thats cool :D what will be the diff between the current cpu block and the new one they are releasing? my specs are in my sig if you have any suggestions for it....

The Aquatube is definitely a good reservoir be itself, another is not needed. The Cuplex XT at the least appears to be able to be on par with performance of Cathar's latest water blocks.

-Dan

[S]nt|Mods said:
The Aquatube is definitely a good reservoir be itself, another is not needed. The Cuplex XT at the least appears to be able to be on par with performance of Cathar's latest water blocks.

-Dan

Great!!! I can't wait till they come in...now I am just gonna have to wait in anticipation for the release so I can order it all up :D I will be getting my case ready now :)

Ahh....something doesn't make sense here. Current is measured in amperes (or milliamps) and frequency is measured in cycles per second or Hertz (i.e. kilohertz, megahertz, and gigahertz). You can not increase the current to a device as it takes what it takes, though you could use a current limiting device to decrease performance. Are you saying that the Aquastream interface has the ability to change the basic electrical signal from one standard to another? :confused:

Why bother? Changing the voltage is a much cleaner way to do it....

Top Nurse said:
Ahh....something doesn't make sense here. Current is measured in amperes (or milliamps) and frequency is measured in cycles per second or Hertz (i.e. kilohertz, megahertz, and gigahertz). You can not increase the current to a device as it takes what it takes, though you could use a current limiting device to decrease performance. Are you saying that the Aquastream interface has the ability to change the basic electrical signal from one standard to another? :confused:

Why bother? Changing the voltage is a much cleaner way to do it....

Its the frequency that does it. Bad typo on my part since having a background in electronics. :)

-Dan

What frequency? Are you saying that the Eheim 12vdc pump is actually an AC pump run by DC through some kind of DC-AC conversion process? AFAIK, a DC pump is either on or off, there is no frequency or sine wave to deal with right?

Are you guys using pulse width modulation (PWM) to turn the pump on-off-on? Thus you are just increasing the on-off time? So you are natively running the pump at a PWM factor of 47 Hz and increasing the PWM to 70 Hz correct?

So with the Aquaero having the ability to "program" the pump, does the pump then have an EPROM or flash memory device in it?

If I hook the flow sensor to the loop can I then program the Aquaero to maintain a rate of "X" flow through the Aquastream and it will maintain that flow without intervention on my part through the interface?

[S]nt|Mods said:
The Cuplex XT at the least appears to be able to be on par with performance of Cathar's latest water blocks.

-Dan
???? Do you have links since I have a hard time with a 1/4" or 3/8" system can keep up with a monster 1/2" G4 or G5 from Cathar.

Some words about the pump AND (that's the trick ;)) its controller. The pump runs with 9 volt ac. The 12 volt dc of the psu is converted by the controller. The controller has its own firmware and the frequency is programmable.

Shoggy said:
Some words about the pump AND (that's the trick ;)) its controller. The pump runs with 9 volt ac. The 12 volt dc of the psu is converted by the controller. The controller has its own firmware and the frequency is programmable.

Are you saying that the Aquastream pump is really not a native 12vdc pump and is a 9vac pump? And that the 12vdc of the computer PSU is converted back to a 9vac by the Aquastream controller? Then we really are talking of changing the sine wave of the AC from 47Hz to 70Hz?

Yes, that pump was developed to work with 9 volt ac. As said before, the aquastream is a collaboration of Eheim and Aqua-Computer.

The power supply is managed by the controller and without it the pump will not work, maybe you could also damage it.

And you are right, the sine wave is changed by the controller.

Shoggy says:And you are right, the sine wave is changed by the controller.

Oh la la...I love it!

I probably forgot to mention that I'm a HAM (amateur radio operator) in addition to being a nurse and wicked modifier of all things electronic :cool: I can't wait to lay my hands on one and put the controller on the scope.

P.S. I can see why now it is a little on the pricey side, but no matter. High technology + German engineering = Fantastic product :D

[S]nt|Mods said:

-Dan

Oh come now. It's one thing to for the members at [H] to put up with your near continual unsolicited product promotion across a range of threads here, but it's quite another to begin to attempt to use comparisons to the blocks that I make as a way to boost the sales of your own products without any independent evidence to back up your statements.

If you want to make statements of performance between two different blocks that you don't have a vested interest in, then that's fine, but to make unfounded statements of comparison based in a direct conflict of interest between the blocks that you sell and the blocks that others make for a hobby is just cynical crass advertising at its worst.

Here's a tip. Refrain from making direct comparisons between yours and competing products, and leave that sort of thing up to respected independent reviewers. If your product doesn't have a direct frame of reference in comparison to another specific product, then take it upon yourself to send your product to an independent reviewer who has reviewed the competing product with that vendor's approval to validate any claims.

Hey guys would you please take your squabble somewhere else? How about a special thread for vendors that want to flame each other and their products. Personally I would hope that my vendors would rise above such petty squabbling. Perhaps Dan should have said something else and I am aware of the rules against promoting your own product or services on this forum. I know someone else who was thrown off here for doing exactly the same thing on an ongoing basis. However, people here want to know about AC products and there appears to be only a very select few who can speak and write English that are willing to help out.

This thread is about Aqua Computer (AC) stuff and more specifically Aquaero and Aquastream products. I like this thread as I am a future purchaser of AC products and find it all quite fascinating discussing the technical aspects of an advanced product.

I smell a dead thread :mad:

Dan can happily continue to inform people who ask about AC products for all I care. It's his right.

All I ask is that he leaves me out of it.

There is no "squabble".

End of story.

the only thing i saw that he said was that the new waterblock should be up to par with yours..not that it would be better or anything.... in my eyes, he was stating that this new block may hold standards as well as yours. To me as a consumer, that means that he thinks pretty highly of yours if the ones he is selling he feels are not quite up to snuff to the ones you are making... The reviews on your blocks I have seen are great and I took it exactly for what I thought it sounded like...basically, you make one helluva block and aqua is releasing a new one that will hopefully be as sufficient and efficient...

not trying to butt in at all..thats just how i took it....

Hi Cathar...

Actually I was glad you stopped by :) I had seen some references to you and was wondering where to go to check it out. Got a website?

Shoggy said:
Yes, that pump was developed to work with 9 volt ac. As said before, the aquastream is a collaboration of Eheim and Aqua-Computer.

Well then you probably know what the next question is. Is the standard Eheim 1046 running on 9vac natively? I took apart (as much as you can) an Eheim 1046 last night to make some mods to the case so I could run the AC cord in a less conspicuous manner and avoid some possible 60 cycle hum in my data lines. The thing is one gigantic hunk of sealed epoxy :eek: I'd probably destroy the thing just trying to eek out a few secrets from it ;)

thespankeh said:
To me as a consumer, that means that he thinks pretty highly of yours if the ones he is selling he feels are not quite up to snuff to the ones you are making... The reviews on your blocks I have seen are great and I took it exactly for what I thought it sounded like...basically, you make one helluva block and aqua is releasing a new one that will hopefully be as sufficient and efficient...

Yes - I understand that it also a tacit compliment to be one of the people to whom others make comparisons against with the products that they promote. That's not the point though, whether it be implicitly favorable or unfavorable. All I'm asking for here in a following of general etiquette amongst "manufacturers" and "resellers" whereby they refrain from using each other in direct comparisons, because that's the same as attempting to increase one's visibility off the backs of others, or in other words - a free advertising ride through implied association. It's ugly and it's best if it's avoided altogether and left for others to make the comparisons. It's just common sense etiquette and it avoids ugly public clashes in forums. Look at R1ckCain's post above. I bet if anyone other than Dan made that comment, it wouldn't have bothered him.

On the flipside, what would you (or Dan) think if someone from Thermaltake came in here and started saying that their products are about on par with the AquaComputer Cuplex XT. Would he merely take that as a compliment?

Again, common sense.

Top Nurse said:
Hi Cathar...

Actually I was glad you stopped by :) I had seen some references to you and was wondering where to go to check it out. Got a website?

I'm not a manufacturer per se. Just a enthusiast. If you're interested in more info, google is your friend.

Top Nurse said:
Well then you probably know what the next question is. Is the standard Eheim 1046 running on 9vac natively?
No idea...

If it would be that easy, why should watercooling companys doing expensive mods to the pump?

I can tell you that the aquastream has a special solenoid which was designed to run with 9 volt and 50 hz.

Wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer sold a standard product as a special :rolleyes: Being the suspicious type I doubt that the 1046 runs natively on 120vac. I would imagine they built a step down transformer inside the case that they potted so it doesn't get wet and keeps suspicious eyes out ;) Also cuts down manufacturing costs as well as a potted circuit doesn't need a special transformer box outside the case. Also remember what this was originally designed for so it can't be very expensive or no one would buy them.

Tanks for the smelt :p

Cathar said:
Yes - I understand that it also a tacit compliment to be one of the people to whom others make comparisons against with the products that they promote. That's not the point though, whether it be implicitly favorable or unfavorable. All I'm asking for here in a following of general etiquette amongst "manufacturers" and "resellers" whereby they refrain from using each other in direct comparisons, because that's the same as attempting to increase one's visibility off the backs of others, or in other words - a free advertising ride through implied association. It's ugly and it's best if it's avoided altogether and left for others to make the comparisons. It's just common sense etiquette and it avoids ugly public clashes in forums. Look at R1ckCain's post above. I bet if anyone other than Dan made that comment, it wouldn't have bothered him.

On the flipside, what would you (or Dan) think if someone from Thermaltake came in here and started saying that their products are about on par with the AquaComputer Cuplex XT. Would he merely take that as a compliment?

Again, common sense.

I see what you mean...either way... from what I have seen your stuff is excellent so I just thought it was a nice compliment but I fully understand :)

Im sorry Nurse, I couldnt even begin to believe that my casual comment errupted your thread into this. If I were a regular citizen I dont think my comment would have been treated the same. This just makes the world of water cooling seem cut throat when it is, at least for me, just a casual hobby for a very casual guy.

There is nothing between Cathar and I that the public needs to see and I will not respond to anything here about it.

-Dan

Thanks to both of you :)

Now back to the fun stuff. Am I of the understanding that I can program my Aquaero unit so that if "X" temperature is reached on a particular sensor I can instruct the applicable fan to increase the rpm and continue to adjust the fan speed? Kind of like what we call in the medical field a negative feedback loop that continually adjusts the apparatus to deliver the desired outcome. As in this case a reduced temp on the sensor in question.

Or as an alternative could I also have the Aquastream automatically increase the pump pressure to accomodate the negative feedback parameters?

You have four ways to control the fans:

Manual
You can control the speed of the fans by setting a value for rounds per minute or choosing power in percent like 75%.

Linear
You can choose up to two sensors to work with that mode. The fan will be regulated proportionally between start-up temperature and the full load temperature. You will have to set this values at first of course.

Progressive
This mode is similar to the linear mode but with a small difference: with climbing temperatures the speed-curve will begin shallow and will continue steeper if the temperature reachs the full load temperature

Fixed
The fan is regulated so that the target temperature is held constant if possible.

There is no way to have the aquastreams pump pressure automatically controlled by the aquaero.

My tip for you: download the english manual of the aquaero and browse around it. This manual isn't up to date (missing some new features) but it will provide an insight into the features.

Back