SN25P linkages, pictures ect. resource .

can a parallel port be added to this thing somehow?
is there a header on the motherboard?

i want to step away from the bulky cases i had to deal with until now, but parallel and serial ports are necessary for my school projects and what not (EE).

I've builded SB81P and person I've builded it for needed Parallel port. Hence I've took Shuttle standard cable. Well there is a parallel port on mainboard but I couldn't finde place on P series chassis that you could punch out and install that cable!!!?? Hence only solution is to lett it heng out of PCI slot :(
Maybe they are going to solve it.
Maybe noone needs realy a parallel port.

MD

MD said:
I've builded SB81P and person I've builded it for needed Parallel port. Hence I've took Shuttle standard cable. Well there is a parallel port on mainboard but I couldn't finde place on P series chassis that you could punch out and install that cable!!!?? Hence only solution is to lett it heng out of PCI slot :(
Maybe they are going to solve it.
Maybe noone needs realy a parallel port.

MD

If its an old printer thats all its good for anyways. Otherwise, newer devices are mostly USB anyways, so itis logical at some point to drop the parallel port and make room for newer technology....

tomciob said:
can a parallel port be added to this thing somehow?
is there a header on the motherboard?

i want to step away from the bulky cases i had to deal with until now, but parallel and serial ports are necessary for my school projects and what not (EE).

This is on shuttle's site:
http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Accessories/PC15.asp

It says it works with the P series, but you'd probably have to email them to make sure it works with the SN25P

Edit:
An EE that knows how to use parallel and serial ports? Blasphemy :)

<-- CprE grad

BTW, I believe there are USB->Parallel adapters in case you need one. I was thinking about getting one (I have a old parallel printer), but I decided to just go with the printer cable instead for my shuttle.

MD said:

The Anandtech review is very detailed, highly recommended reading if you're thinking about getting one of these rigs.

They complain a bit about the potentially high cost---$375-$450, which I really don't understand. Case+power supply+fans+nf4 mobo+heatsink+drive cables, in a nice integrated package, price range seems pretty sweet to me. I guess they must be comparing to other barebones SFF rigs.

I haven't touched AMD since back in the Thunderbird days. I liked the processors, just swore that I'd never again subject myself to a VIA chipset. Nvidia took care of that issue awhile back, so I guess it is time to return to the AMD fold. :D

eastvillager said:
The Anandtech review is very detailed, highly recommended reading if you're thinking about getting one of these rigs.

They complain a bit about the potentially high cost---$375-$450, which I really don't understand. Case+power supply+fans+nf4 mobo+heatsink+drive cables, in a nice integrated package, price range seems pretty sweet to me. I guess they must be comparing to other barebones SFF rigs.

I haven't touched AMD since back in the Thunderbird days. I liked the processors, just swore that I'd never again subject myself to a VIA chipset. Nvidia took care of that issue awhile back, so I guess it is time to return to the AMD fold. :D

Would Newegg carry the above barebones system...? To me that price is not that steep for what you're getting. I realize this product won't hit the streets until end of March, beginning of April.

FerrisBuller said:
Would Newegg carry the above barebones system...? To me that price is not that steep for what you're getting. I realize this product won't hit the streets until end of March, beginning of April.

No, Shuttles barebones are the Case, PSU and mobo all in one shot.

God I cant wait for this to be available. The predicted availability is end of March, but who knows if that will come true. I hope so b/c I am itchin to make a new system using this.

FerrisBuller said:
I'm ordering from mwave... since I'm a newbie and this is my first built system, can anyone recommend memory/CPU configuration....?

Want to go with a 939 platform.

Many Thanks.

J...

Here is what I intend to do. I'm wanting a high end system.
I am going with a Athlon 64 4000+, 74 gig WD Raptor, 1 gig Corsair 3200 XMS mem, Nec 16x DVD, floppy drive, and if it fits either a x850xt or a x800xt-pe (or whatever is best
that will fit from ATI). Building in about 1 to 2 weeks time. Newegg for all parts.

I've always had good success with Corsair memory....

msny said:
Here is what I intend to do. I'm wanting a high end system.
I am going with a Athlon 64 4000+, 74 gig WD Raptor, 1 gig Corsair 3200 XMS mem, Nec 16x DVD, floppy drive, and if it fits either a x850xt or a x800xt-pe (or whatever is best
that will fit from ATI). Building in about 1 to 2 weeks time. Newegg for all parts.

I've always had good success with Corsair memory....
OK... this gives me some idea of what configurations I can go with...

I'm thinking of getting the GeForce 6800 Ultra card...

Appreciate the info.

J...

Are mwave and censuspc trustworthy vendors? I think I'm going to buy this today now that it is out, but zzf is sold out and the egg doesn't have it yet.

GaleForce said:
Are mwave and censuspc trustworthy vendors? I think I'm going to buy this today now that it is out, but zzf is sold out and the egg doesn't have it yet.
I can't say for censuspc, haven't purchased from them. I've purchased from Mwave... they have a good return policy along with Directron.com and Newegg.

FerrisBuller said:
I can't say for censuspc, haven't purchased from them. I've purchased from Mwave... they have a good return policy along with Directron.com and Newegg.

Ditto, MWave is a good vendor.

Hmm, looks like this will be the backbone of my next system.

Should be able to order mid-April

I've been waiting for a reason to get an SFF - and this system is the excuse. Will likely be June before I manage to get into one, but I'm tired of hauling my big Antec case to LANs and I'm really looking at taking up less space over all too. Handy that way.

Hmm, not sure where I'm going to stick a Crystalfontz in it... I'll figure that out later.

somecallmeTim said:
I've been waiting for a reason to get an SFF - and this system is the excuse. Will likely be June before I manage to get into one, but I'm tired of hauling my big Antec case to LANs and I'm really looking at taking up less space over all too. Handy that way.

Hmm, not sure where I'm going to stick a Crystalfontz in it... I'll figure that out later.

Same here- just a beautiful Lian Li in my case. Along with one of those new Samsung 19" S-PVA 8ms screens, and it's all gravy.

edited- i cant speel

IdiotInCharge said:
Same here- just a beautiful Lian Li in my case. Along with one of those new Samsung 19" S-PVA 8ms screens, and it's all gravy.

edited- i cant speel
IIC... can you pass on where you purchased your Samsung 19" S-PVA 8ms screen?

I'm looking for the same monitor, and I think this is the latest and greatest as far as 8ms goes....

Thanks

J...

FerrisBuller said:
Very cool... I'm on way to the site to order one as we speak. What size MB goes into one of these systems though...?

The motherboard is a Shuttle nVidia nForce 4 preinstalled I believe its called
the NF4 or something similar....OH Newegg is out of them already as of this posting !!!

Cumulus said:
Eta is March 21st, how did you order it from NewEgg?

They had product last night and sold out by this morning. I had my system parts ready to go all I did was add the box last night....just waiting for it to clear for shipping now

n64man120 said:
Would you anticipate this price dropping between now and July? And if so how much?

Unlikely and if did in the smallest chance, no more then $50, Shuttle keeps their XPC's marked for quit awhile.

This shuttle is only for the athlon series. If you want the bestest get an FX-55 and couple it with the kingston x or corsair xms. If you want to spend less get a 3800+ and some corsair or kingston value Ram. This new shuttle looks FINE. I just built an sn95G5 with a 3500+ and a Geforce 6600GT. It really is smooth but I kinda wish I had known this was so close to reality. These Shuttle systems are really excellent,easy to build and very complete. This PSU will handle anything you would want to throw at it! Good luck.

Back