How do you pronounce SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRex

Limp Gawd
Me, I say it as a word. I've heard other techs pronounce every letter out like S.L.I.
So what is the proper pronunciation?

I say it as S-L-I, the individual letters... But if I had to make it a word, I'd say it like "sligh"...

Davenow said:
its not a word. Its S. L. I.

It stands for Scan Line Interleave (IIRC)

Scan Line Interleave was for 3Dfx, nvidia says it is Scalable Link Interface, or something like that :rolleyes:

Para

"slye."

Definitely beats "slee!" :p

Hate_Bot said:
I pronounce it Why.The.Hell.Did.You.Start.This.Post?

WTHDYSTP
I pronounce this "wit-ed-ist-up"

its what they call a Acronym.. like MSN..or AOL now i havnt heard anyone pronounce thoes as words...lol :p

It is an Acronym, it was with 3DFX and it sill is with NVIDIA. So you say it like any other acronym, you say each letter separately.

S. L. I.

Just as an example when people talk about RAM they all say it as a word. We all know that it stands for Random Access Memmory but you do not hear anyone say R.A.M.
I don't know, I find it far easier to say SLI rather pronounce each letter out, but I would still like to know the proper pronunciation.

Ya, but saying Slye sounds retarded.

Hey guys, I just got my slye system!

Slye system? Is it sneaky or something?

Ram sounds both technological, yet POWERFULL!!!!! AAARGRGRHH!!!! HULK SMASH!

Brent_Justice said:
It is an Acronym, it was with 3DFX and it sill is with NVIDIA. So you say it like any other acronym, you say each letter separately.

S. L. I.
I think you'd have to ask 3Dfx for the definitive answer to that one and that might depend on who you ask. I always remember it being said as one word. It really doesn't matter.

i.e. SCSI = "scuzzy"

Hate_Bot said:
Slye system? Is it sneaky or something?
No it sounds slick or cool :cool: SLI Voodoo? I think that's the idea.

It is pronounced 'S' 'L' 'I'. That's how Nvidia pronounces it, that's now 3dfx pronounced it. It isn't open to interpretation. Finis :)

TRex said:
Just as an example when people talk about RAM they all say it as a word. We all know that it stands for Random Access Memmory but you do not hear anyone say R.A.M.
I don't know, I find it far easier to say SLI rather pronounce each letter out, but I would still like to know the proper pronunciation.

that's a good point actually, there are acronyms out there that we say as words

but SLI from day one has been said as letters, not a word

i guess it's all about precedent

Brent_Justice said:
that's a good point actually, there are acronyms out there that we say as words

but SLI from day one has been said as letters, not a word

i guess it's all about precedent

Yes, I think it just varies based on who establishes a term. We don't say 'see-poo', we say 'C P U'. Examples of both can be found (SCSI for example, pronounced 'scuzzy', RAM was already noted, etc.).

Well so far no one has posted any definitive answer what it started out as, just what they remember hearing. So can anyone provide a link?

sleepeeg3 said:
Well so far no one has posted any definitive answer what it started out as, just what they remember hearing. So can anyone provide a link?

I don't have links to voice conversations I've had with NVidia reps who call it 'S L I', nor older conversations in ages past with 3dfx peeps :rolleyes:

Take my word for it. It's pronounced S...L...I.

Well Ipronounce it Sly like Sly fox or whatever. I also think it sounds better than <Robot Impression> S. L. I.

Just like I say RAM like "Ram Man" from He-Man.

Same thing with SCSI

I say Scuzzi like "Your a scuzzy bastard for making fun of people that want to say SLY!";)

sleepeeg3 said:

it was always called S. L. I. by 3DFX, who invented the acronym in the first place

I think the more important ( :rolleyes: ) question is how do you pronounce SATA?

I think "saytah" drives sound as retarded as "sly" graphics.

Show me a link, Brent. ;)
rcolbert said:
I think the more important ( :rolleyes: ) question is how do you pronounce SATA?

I think "saytah" drives sound as retarded as "sly" graphics.
I think "saytah" sounds retarded too (I was just thinking that). Heard someone saying that in Fry's the other day. I say "Serial A-T-A", but I'm probably the only one. :p It's okay to be different...

sleepeeg3 said:
Show me a link, Brent. ;)

I think "saytah" sounds retarded too (I was just thinking that). Heard someone saying that in Fry's the other day. I say "Serial A-T-A", but I'm probably the only one. :p It's okay to be different...
We are both different.

I spell it out, both SATA and SLI. Oh, and "see-poo" is f'ing hilarous! (Edit: Whoops, my brain got away for a few minutes. I say "Serial A-T-A.")
Along similar lines, will you pronounce AMR as "hammer" or "amor", since "'ammer" just sounds weird? (LOL, "Hammer CPU with hammer graphics...")

BTW, who wants to pronounce "PCMCIA"? :D

Hate_Bot said:
I pronounce it Why.The.Hell.Did.You.Start.This.Post?

WTHDYSTP

A very interesting thread/discussion except this guy shitting all over ... what a party-pooper

GUI could go both ways I guess, Ive heard ppl both say it as a word and spell it out..

mavalpha said:
I spell it out, both SATA and SLI. Oh, and "see-poo" is f'ing hilarous!
Along similar lines, will you pronounce AMR as "hammer" or "amor", since "'ammer" just sounds weird? (LOL, "Hammer CPU with hammer graphics...")

BTW, who wants to pronounce "PCMCIA"? :D

Pick-mick-ee-ahh

Warrior said:
its what they call a Acronym.. like MSN..or AOL now i havnt heard anyone pronounce thoes as words...lol :p
No! WRONG!

An acronym is when an abbreviation forms a new word which you say as such e.g. RADAR. When you just pronounce each individual letter (as with S.L.I.) then it's simply an abbreviation.

That's the end of today's english lesson...

its like how half of my friends say out sata and dont say s.a.t.a like the other half of my friends do ( we say Serial ATA) they say SA-TA, SATA, and it drives me nuts!.. so really it all comes down to is what you like..not what someone eles likes..as long as you knw what you are talking about...good thread though...

nice metioning the SCSI-= scuzzy cause it took me a while to figure out the difforence when i was a little n00b....

spine said:
No! WRONG!

An acronym is when an abbreviation forms a new word which you say as such e.g. RADAR. When you just pronounce each individual letter (as with S.L.I.) then it's simply an abbreviation.

well if he DOES say it out..then it is a acronym...right? :p

some people pronounce .gif and like gift or jiff i personaly this jiff is for crackheads..and if you havnt thought of it..there is a war on how linux is pronounce..and the acualy way its pronounce is the retarded way of saying it ..( linus (from peanuts) NUX ( as is ducks) LinuX)...take it from me..this war will go on forever about how to pronounce the simplest things...

spine said:
No! WRONG!

You know that radar wasn't a word before it was turned into an acronym right :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back