My Hyundai L90D+ Review

IceWindus

n00b
Well, today is the BIG day. The day I leave the world of CRT's and jump into the LCD world. After days of research, I decided on the Hyundai for my gaming purposes apart from the Viewsonics and Dells available. Below is my current PERSONAL opinion on my first LCD monitor.

PACKAGING

The packaging was well thought out and not a single scratch anywhere. I was VERY happy to find no dead pixels or backlight leakage. Good job Hyundai.

package5tk.jpg

GAMEPLAY

I cannot tell any ghosting whatsoever, even in HL2 deathmatches, its like a freaking CRT monitor. No matter how fast I move my mouse, I cannot tell any kind of ghosting in any game. If you are a hardcore gamer, this is the LCD to get, bar none, ghosting does not exist!!

farcry1sd.jpg

The colors are very nice and sharp. Waaaaaay better then my Viewsonic CRT, it looks like a blurry mess in comparison, no wonder my eyes have started to hurt recently!

COLORS

The color are for the most part, incredible. In one game like Far Cry they are rich and beautiful, where in HL2 or KOTOR, they seem less toned back, no matter what I did for tweaking both in contrast, brightness or drivers. Guess its the result of the TN Samsung display. Either way, I would probably have a hard time telling the difference betweeen the L90D+ and a 8bit Dell 2001Fp

It takes a bit of fiddling with the video card drivers, and monitor controls *which blow hard* to get it just right. Hyundai might have had a nice idea of moving the button on the bottom to keep the sleek look, but its a total bitch having to press them without tipping the LCD over. After setting it up, my Viewsonic CRT 19" looked like crap and it hurt my eyes just looking at. DVI is definently the better way to go, the VGA suffers in sharpness and the colors take somewhat of a hit though you loose LCD menu options in DVI mode. Weird.

The viewing angle I find is no worse then other LCD's i've come across. Being a TN panel, its definently not bad by any means. You can definently tell the color difference even in this photo.

day8xt.jpg

That being said, like alot of LCD's, the dark colors do suffer, especially in games like Doom 3, they loose a bit of their ambience due to the lack of *true* black. Its kinda tough to get used to, but when I loaded this sucker with Far Cry....OH sweeet Jesus.....not even funny!

DVD

I almost NEVER watch DVD's on my computer, thats what my Sony Trinitron downstairs is for but seeings how I wanted to make this a fair review, I threw in the best around, LOTR Return of the King. I dunno about other reviews, but I can't see a freaking hint of this "twinkling" or "sparke" effect that others are talking about. Im using a Plextor 708 with their special CyberSoft DVD decoder and the colors come out really nice and about as sharp as you can get for software decoding. I personally find no fault with DVD playback on this monitor though some scenes appear somewhat grainy depending on the DVD. YMWV.

lotr3uu.jpg

1 DAY FINDINGS

For my first day with this monitor, I"ll sum up my current feelings and thoughts and will expand as I work with the monitor more.

PLUSES:

1. Incredible clarity and sharpness compared to CRT. Pictures and games just stick out like liquid

2. Colors when adjusted correctly and gorgous. Far Cry is a totally different game with this monitor.

3. No ghosting.Period. This monitor is THE LCD for gamers, you can't get this thing to ghost no matter what you try.

4. Very nice quality build and construction. This doesn't feel like cheap China plastic, they built it well. Very nice and easy up and down adjustment and swivel.

MINUSES

1. Button placement and menu useage is total ass. You have to basically hold the monitor down while making adjustments and you WILL have to make adjustments to get the monitor to look just right. Lacking DVI menu options compared to VGA.

2. Has a hard time with darker colors. Again, this just may be the drawback to LCD's and coming from a hard core CRT gamer, its gonna take a bit to get used to. Some colors get a little washed out depending on darkness, game, settings, ect..ect... It also may be the 6bit color limitation of the LCD itself but with no Dell side by side to compare, it may not be.

3. No swivel stand. You'll have to rotate the entire thing for the right angle. A very minor gripe

4. Takes quit a fiddling to get looking right.

5. VGA mode has much to be desired.

6. Viewing angle is somewhat limited, whites go to tan if you move to far left or right.

UPDATE: COLOR Quality

Some more tweaking and Far Cry is farking incredible. The pic doesn't even convey its worth. This is with HDR enabled at level 7.

hifarcry3pr.jpg

Nice review...It was a good read. I'm glad you're enjoying your new LCD after coming from the world of CRT's. Good luck and have fun with it in the future :)

after reading your review, it seems that i'm still gonna go with it. I'll have the money tomorrow in the bank and ready to purchase. :D glad you're enjoying it, hopefully i'll get the same good results.

Welcome to the lcd club :D you said that the dell 2001fp was 8bit :confused: I read at anandtech "This is perhaps the first true 16ms 24-bit LCD panel commercially produced and doesn't rely on over-inflated contrast ratio and brightness numbers to draw attention to itself. We will go into more detail about the panel later on." That was off there website review.

what model viewsonic CRT do you have sitting next to it that sucks? And also are you using them dual right now or just moving on and goin single LCD?

Imitation said:
what model viewsonic CRT do you have sitting next to it that sucks? And also are you using them dual right now or just moving on and goin single LCD?

Its a 19" A90 I picked up in Summer 2001. I was using them duel to compare them but i'll be going LCD only and giving the CRT to my friend.

AMD_Gamer said:
yup it kicks ass for gaming

sucks for DVD's

I'm sure i can find a cheap 17" CRT that i could setup for movies in DualView. I don't watch movies that much anyway.

AMD_Gamer said:
yup it kicks ass for gaming

sucks for DVD's

Like I said, I honestly couldn't see what everyone was bitching about in regards to DVD playback, looked just fine to me.

But I watch DVD movies on my theatre system, not my gaming machine.

haha cool IceWind. I also just got mine.

No dead pixels, gamed for a bit on CS Source, looks really really nice and no ghosting that I could notice (this is coming from a life long CRT user).

Ice, what settings did you set your monitor at? I'm at 65 contrast and 32 brightness.

Also, no dead pixels :cool:

I have the L90D+ and have no compaints. I also watch DVD movies and they seem fine on this monitor. I do have to say that I have to do some adjustments to get things to look right, including text but now that I have it just the way i like it everything is fine.

DSCF0112.JPG

8 bit x 3 pixel colours (R G B) = 24 bit
just as they refer to 6 bit dithered x 3 = 18 bit dithered.

For those of you who don't know what's 'wrong' with movie playback, try watching a really dark movie and looking for the "sparkly" pixels on these 6-bit panels. It kinda looks like you're seeing stars :D

8^) you guys put my mind at ease. I just orderd one of these from newegg for 380 shipped. My CRT is dieing on me slowly heh.

IceWind said:
Its a 19" A90 I picked up in Summer 2001. I was using them duel to compare them but i'll be going LCD only and giving the CRT to my friend.

Ahh see there's your problem, the A90 is the cheap ass viewsonic 19". If you'd gone with the GS790 or P95 you'd have had a better exp. I've owned both, but the P95 was freaking huge and didn't fit on the dorm room desk very well. I'll probly have either this monitor or a VP171 in dual with my GS790 once the tax return gets here!

Imitation said:
Ahh see there's your problem, the A90 is the cheap ass viewsonic 19". If you'd gone with the GS790 or P95 you'd have had a better exp. I've owned both, but the P95 was freaking huge and didn't fit on the dorm room desk very well. I'll probly have either this monitor or a VP171 in dual with my GS790 once the tax return gets here!

It was all I could afford at the time, and it was expensive at Best Buy. Either way, i'll never be going back to CRT's anyway.

I love my L90D+ but I'm one of the unlucky people that got a dead pixel. It's up in the right hand corner, but just knowing it's there bothers me. Hyundai says they won't replace it. It's driving me crazy. Maybe I'm just obsessive about that.

Don't worry, 1 isn't so bad. Especially when it's not near the centre of the screen. Be thankful, as a lot of people receive LCDs with 6 dead pixels, and can't get them replaced. lol

steviep said:
Don't worry, 1 isn't so bad. Especially when it's not near the centre of the screen. Be thankful, as a lot of people receive LCDs with 6 dead pixels, and can't get them replaced. lol

I think thats such BS. Thats like buying a new car and accepting dings in the body paneling. I would be thrashing Hyundai if they wern't gonna replace my panel if one was bad.

I agree, the fact that we are accepting such defects is BS. But considering the way these things are made and the fact that they do come with that risk, 1 really isn't so bad. Look at Newegg. They won't return a monitor for less than 8! I would never buy a screen from them if I was in the US.

IceWind said:
I think thats such BS. Thats like buying a new car and accepting dings in the body paneling. I would be thrashing Hyundai if they wern't gonna replace my panel if one was bad.

I'm on stage 1 of the thrashing. Even if I don't get another one, I'm going to the annoy the crap out of 'em.

that's why i was kinda thinking about getting the Samsung 915N cause of the new pixel policy that samsung has now. if you have one dead pixel they'll replace it. BUT no DVI or adjustable stand........stupid decisions i have to make :(

nice review :)

Yeah I broke down and bought one from newegg for a dually setup,

I had 2 dead pixels on my 213T and samsung replaced it with no problem [see sig]

I just hope there is little to no ghosting on the L90D+ because my samsung isn't very good for fast paced gaming.

steviep said:
8 bit x 3 pixel colours (R G B) = 24 bit
just as they refer to 6 bit dithered x 3 = 18 bit dithered.

For those of you who don't know what's 'wrong' with movie playback, try watching a really dark movie and looking for the "sparkly" pixels on these 6-bit panels. It kinda looks like you're seeing stars :D

Thanks I didnt know that lol I guess I dont get that sparkly thing when I watch a dvd movies

UPDATE: Gaming/ Need for Speed Underground 2

Well, after some head scratching trying to get DVI to work at the higher resolutions in NFSU2 I started playing after leaving it for awhile. I was utterly amazed at how well this monitor handled such a fast paced game. If there was any ghosting, I simply could not detect it. The colors, lights, sheen, lens flair, everything in this game just pops out on this monitor, its just farking incredible!

This IS the gamers LCD at this point in time, no questions asked. Buy it, try it, believe it :D

nfsu26ye.jpg

Nice review, glad you like the monitor coming from another pleased L90D+ owner :D

These things rock the socks off anything out there! :D

I posted my review in the other Hyundai L90D+ review thread on this page if anyone's interested :)

Back