Post Your 2405FPW RGB, Brightness, & Contrast Settings Here

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Just hooked mine up. Turned the brightness down to 25, contrast is 50, and RGB is 38, 35 30.

Nice thread, also post if you guys change the gamma in ATI or nvidia drivers.

Mcklain

Great thread!

I'll keep all of these tweaks handy while I'm setting up my 2405, tomorrow!

This will definitely be a great thread once my 2405 arrives :)

didn't notice the contrast was greyed out
you could adjust it on my VP171B

thread bookmarked for when I get my 2405FP in the morning.

I'm connected through DVI. How do you adjust contrast and brightness in the OSD on this monitor? Sorry for the stupid question. The sony sdm p234 monitor i had would allow you to do this but I can't find these setting in the osd.

I believe contrast is locked when you use DVI. I am not sure about brightness. Wil tell you tonight, my 2405 is en route. :D

Im connected with dvi as well and cannot find the brightness setting besides the one in the pip section, but thats greyed out.

*edit* I just fired up DVE and the blue is good, red is good, green is kind of off but its off no matter what you set it to. I havent checked the contrast or saturation yet. The brightness was right on as well. Everything right now is at default settings.

contrast is locked on DVI, push the 4th button from the left to adjust brightness

Riptide_NVN said:
And your results were...? Or did you use a software adjustment?

As I said, I used Adobe Gamma, which is a software gamma calibrator that works by creating an ICC profile for the monitor. It is a purely visual method of calibration, but is can be reasonably accurate with the right test patterns. It doesnt give me numbers to use as such, but it only took my about 5 minutes to do with that pattern I posted, so just give it a shot.

there's still something bothing me about this screen
I don't know how to describe it...it's just not easy on the eyes
I have the brightness down to like 15 and I've tried various sRGB settings
thinking of trading my 6800U for an ATI card since they're supposed to have better pic quality

don't know what else to do :(

Here's what one guy over on ars found:
Using my Pantone Colorvision USB color calibration unit, here are the settings I came up with for my particular unit. YMMV based on manufacturing variability, but for those without a calibration unit this is probably a good start.

Since this is supposedly an sRGB compliant monitor, normally just setting sRGB should be perfect, but that wasn't the case. These settings work much better:

(target sRGB 6500K of course)

Brightness 27
Contrast N/A (not available in DVI)
Color: User Preset
Red 36
Green 33
Blue 32

With any brightness setting the gamma was still too low (i.e. too bright) around 1.89. I solved this by using the nVidia driver color adjustment page to set the gamma slider to 0.91 which gave me a measured gamma of 2.05. This is still a touch brighter than sRGB but I couldn't get it any higher, and as the page below notes, 2.0 is a good compromise between Mac (1.8) and PC (2.2) gamma.

There is a good gamma adjustment page here:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

It would be nice if he could use that tool on the 2005 to see if its just the 2005 thats artificially boosting colors.

Two things about Adobe Gamma:

1) It says the hardware White Point is set to 5000K and the adjusted White Point is "Same as hardware". Shouldn't the hardware White Point be set to 6500K? Should I change the hardware White Point through Adobe Gamma? Should I change the adjusted White Point through Adobe Gamma?

2) Why when I load a new profile, does it not make any changes to the screen settings? It only seems to do anything when I actually change something. I would think just loading a different profile would immediately show the changes.

chrism said:
Two things about Adobe Gamma:

1) It says the hardware White Point is set to 5000K and the adjusted White Point is "Same as hardware". Shouldn't the hardware White Point be set to 6500K? Should I change the hardware White Point through Adobe Gamma? Should I change the adjusted White Point through Adobe Gamma?

2) Why when I load a new profile, does it not make any changes to the screen settings? It only seems to do anything when I actually change something. I would think just loading a different profile would immediately show the changes.

The listed "hardware whitepoint" is the whitepoint as listed in the profile you are using, unless you you use the measurement tool which is pretty innaccurate. It probably lists the whitepoint as 5000K because you are using the wrong profile.

In terms of the changes you see, this is where it gets kinda confusing. ICC profiles can contain two types of information - color calibration information, and color profiling information. Adobe Gamma only deals with the calibration information, NOT the profile information. It helps you load and adjust the gamma setting that get loaded into your video card's LUT tables. This will affect the way all windows applications, and the windows desktop looks. An ICC profile can also contain profiling information, which only gets used by ICC aware applications such as Photoshop. My guess is that when you are loading a "new" profile, you are loading one that only contains profiling information, but does not contain calibration information. This is why you dont see any difference until you modify the gamma settings (thereby adjusting the calibration information).

Confused yet ;)

Thread bump and question.

I'm not running a 2405FPW, but I wanted to avoid making an unnecessary thread. I'm unsure about proper LCD calibration, here--I keep reading about people who set their brightness and contrast low, and their RGB settings equally low (or set at 6300K), but when I attempt to duplicate that, my monitor is dark to the point of being unable to see anything. What am I missing here?

wombat778 said:
The listed "hardware whitepoint" is the whitepoint as listed in the profile you are using, unless you you use the measurement tool which is pretty innaccurate. It probably lists the whitepoint as 5000K because you are using the wrong profile.

In terms of the changes you see, this is where it gets kinda confusing. ICC profiles can contain two types of information - color calibration information, and color profiling information. Adobe Gamma only deals with the calibration information, NOT the profile information. It helps you load and adjust the gamma setting that get loaded into your video card's LUT tables. This will affect the way all windows applications, and the windows desktop looks. An ICC profile can also contain profiling information, which only gets used by ICC aware applications such as Photoshop. My guess is that when you are loading a "new" profile, you are loading one that only contains profiling information, but does not contain calibration information. This is why you dont see any difference until you modify the gamma settings (thereby adjusting the calibration information).

Confused yet ;)

So I assume then that the Whitepoint setting is used only by the color profiling (which is only used by ICC-aware apps like Photoshop, which I do have)? Therefore, should I set the hardware Whitepoint to 6500K and the adjusted Whitepoint to "Same as hardware"?

chrism said:
So I assume then that the Whitepoint setting is used only by the color profiling (which is only used by ICC-aware apps like Photoshop, which I do have)? Therefore, should I set the hardware Whitepoint to 6500K and the adjusted Whitepoint to "Same as hardware"?

It doesnt really matter. The term "hardware whitepoint" is simply a description of the current whitepoint of the monitor. It does not change anything on the display. What it does instead is make a point of reference for the "adjusted whitepoint", so it knows what amount of correction to make. So for example, setting a hardware whitepoint of 6500K and an adjusted whitepoint of 7500K is telling gamma to adjust the whitepoint by +1000K. If the adjusted whitepoint is set to "same as hardware" then no whitepoint adjustment will take place, and both of the boxes pretty much become irrelevant.

Quote:
Using my Pantone Colorvision USB color calibration unit, here are the settings I came up with for my particular unit. YMMV based on manufacturing variability, but for those without a calibration unit this is probably a good start.

Since this is supposedly an sRGB compliant monitor, normally just setting sRGB should be perfect, but that wasn't the case. These settings work much better:

Brightness 27
Red 36
Green 33
Blue 32

With any brightness setting the gamma was still too low (i.e. too bright) around 1.89. I solved this by using the nVidia driver color adjustment page to set the gamma slider to 0.91 which gave me a measured gamma of 2.05. This is still a touch brighter than sRGB but I couldn't get it any higher, and as the page below notes, 2.0 is a good compromise between Mac (1.8) and PC (2.2) gamma.

Tried this setting and I liked it a lot...

I set mine to 50 / 50 / 50 & 50% Brightness and it was almost identical to my 2005.

Terpfen said:
Thread bump and question.

I'm not running a 2405FPW, but I wanted to avoid making an unnecessary thread. I'm unsure about proper LCD calibration, here--I keep reading about people who set their brightness and contrast low, and their RGB settings equally low (or set at 6300K), but when I attempt to duplicate that, my monitor is dark to the point of being unable to see anything. What am I missing here?

if you arent running a 2405fpw the settings wont carry over, lcds are all a little bit different and require different tweaks out of the box to get the right color settings. If you're usin an lcd just look for that brand and you should/might be able to find some info on what settings others have found.

I have my brightness set at 0%. Wish I could go lower. No contrast adjustments since I'm using DVI. Don't want to diminish my color resolution by mucking with the lookup tables in the graphics card. So it is what it is.

The settings msny posted work very well. And the adjustment page he linked to proved it to me.

EnderW said:
there's still something bothing me about this screen
I don't know how to describe it...it's just not easy on the eyes
I have the brightness down to like 15 and I've tried various sRGB settings
thinking of trading my 6800U for an ATI card since they're supposed to have better pic quality

don't know what else to do :(

I had the exact same problem with the monitor. After about 15-20 minutes of looking at the screen my eyes were extremely tired. It's almost like my eyes are continually trying to focus on things on the screen and this causes me eyestrain very quickly. Tried numerous settings, nothing really helped. So, alas. The monitor is going back for a refund. It was going to replace my HP L2335, but I am keeping the HP. I can look at that screen for hours with no eyestrain whatsoever. Oh well.

Hey folks,

Found this thread after reading that monster 2405FPW thread on here. My god, MY EYES! :)

Good stuff though...

Was wondering if any other folks has updates on their particular color settings for the 2405FPW. It seems that the 36 / 33 / 32 is the commonly accepted setting floating aorund, and is also referenced here form the Ars posts where it originated.

I'm looking for good settings for sRGB (prob above is the best), and also one to match the "vividness" or the 2005FPW.

Any other settings out there?

- Stan

Riptide_NVN said:

Brightness 27
Red 36
Green 33
Blue 32

Those setting are wonderfull. Now my Dell looks great! Thanks for posting those setting. :)

Maverick-DBZ- said:
Those setting are wonderfull. Now my Dell looks great! Thanks for posting those setting. :)

Agreed. I've had this monitor for a month and a half now, and had no idea I could make myself fall in love with it even more. These settings have changed everything.

Thanks for finding this stuff guys!

I couldn't agree more, those settings have been working perfectly for me, except I have made one slight adjustment to them...

Under the NVidia display properties applet I have found that by enabling the Digital Vibrance Control (INSERT YOUR RELIGOUS OPIONS ON DVC HERE) and adjusting it up by 2 notches** you get a color palette that makes gaming just wonderful.

YMMY of course.

- Stan

** By 2 notches I mean that with the default setting of OFF for DVC, you CLICK on the control and then hit the right-arrow key twice. You can tell if you have this right by looking just below the control and you will see two small tick marks.

The settings that came with mine are:

Red: 34
Green: 34
Blue: 26
Brightness: 50

But I found that these settings work best for me so far (YMMV):

Red: 33
Green: 33
Blue: 33
Brightness: 25

Back