Vapochill Micro..cold w/o compressor

Since it does phase change by gravity, does that mean it would only work in motherboards lying flat? Or is that inclined angle enough for it to work?

The VapoChill Micro™ series is officially launched May 2nd 2005.
On my birthday! woot.

As for the laying flat thing, the angle should work as they have this on their site:
The VapoChill Micro™ CPU coolers are easily mounted on the motherboard and fit in common midi and tower cases

so if you are able to install it with the angle gowing towards the top, then you should be fine.

Imo, it is actually a heatpipe cooler that wont go below ambient temp. I guess vapochill tryin to expand their market and compete with thermaltake/thermalright alike.

they put some temp test results on the info pages for the product

X1 & X2:
Processor TDIE: 67,0 oC
Processor TCASE: 62,0 oC
Internal Chassis-Temperature: 40,4 oC
Test System: 3.4 GHz, 115W TDP
Test Conditions: TAmbient= 38,0 oC

I am assuming it means that it runs at 67C? ouch
crappy for a heatpipe cooler even at full load(but then again, I dont know prescott temps that well)

Atleast it'll be on display at CEBIT so we might be able to find out how well of a product this is. This should also be a nice solution to those wanting silent computers I suspect.

Who wants to take a stab at price?

This is just a heatpipe cooler, like any other. :rolleyes: They're just trying to cash in on the VapoChill name recognition to get into a larger market. Pretty disingenuous of them to keep calling it 'phase change' I think, since that term has come to be tightly associated with active refrigeration. Yeah technically it's phase change, but so what.

Check out the temp on the fanless option. 71C.

Well it's just another heatpipe HSF. Though look at heatpipe size. Look also how does volume expands towards cooling part. Look at form of a CPU block and chammber where Phase change happens. Well it's not just average heat pipe cooler. But it also aint compressor subzero cooling monster as We know it/ expect from something that carries name Vapochill.

Considering temps in data sheet, look at air temps. Like it's measured with ambiebt temp of 38 C and case temp of 40,4 C!!!!!??????
Also top temp is CPU die not CPU IHS temp. Like with 3,4 GHz 115 watt heat it makes delat of 16,6 C between case temps and die and delta 11.6C between case temp and IHS temp. That's good preformance when cooling 115 watt heat load.
Specialy if it does it low noise.
It can't cool lower then room temps for shure but it cools nice for shure.

Imagine in normal case You doo not have more then 28,4 C (room temp like 22 C) then on load with 115 watt CPU IHS temp should be like 50C and that aint so bad. Good ventilated case should have only like 2~3 deg over a room temps and if Yor room is like 20 C then cas temp would be like only 22,4 C then 115 watt CPU IHS should be at 44 C and that would be very good result.

So they just took worse case scenario and understatment.

MD

This just sounds like heat-pipes to me... What, exactly, is new with this technology?

I hope this isn't where Asetek has been putting their R+D money! I was hoping they might pull out some kind of 2-stage phase-change cooling system that can run 24/7, for temps around -75C or something. Oh well!

When I first saw the name "Vapochill micro" i was hoping they refined their phase change cooling to be able to neatly fit inside a case , im a little disappointed that its just that ugly looking heat pipe (thats what it is)

qbert95 said:
When I first saw the name "Vapochill micro" i was hoping they refined their phase change cooling to be able to neatly fit inside a case , im a little disappointed that its just that ugly looking heat pipe (thats what it is)
I was hoping for something small enough to be able to phase-change cool my memory. One of these days... :mad:

chilly_DoG said:
Just curious, how is this thing micro? Lord man this thing is hudge!
Its micro compared to the regular vapochill that is the size of a refridgerator :p

Back