giga-byte 8I915p Duo Pro

Hey peoples, i am building a new pc soon, i am deciding to get a P4 3.2HT LGA 775, i am thinking of getting the giga-byte 8I915P duo pro for my motherboard, can you give me your opinion on this montherboard.... :)

Yeah, don't use SATA drives if you plan to OC. I built a PC around this board a few months back, and it OC'd a 3.2E to 3.4 with SATA, or 3.8 with PATA. Everything else was the same.

Also, avoid using a BBA X700 Pro in conjunction with the onboard VIA RAID controller. Mine had problems with delayed writes slipping through the cracks and crashing Windows, until I finally ended up plugging in an old HighPoint card to manage my RAID.

I just built a system with that board through the newegg deal. So far so good, haven't had any problems that were related to the board. Only problem I had was the heatsink wasn't on all the way so the machine would shut itself down. I would suggest you get something other than the stock intel heatsink. That thing is a pain in the ass to install.

hey mavalpha are using the stock CPU fan and heat sink with comes with your CPU? if you are, are you having and difficultly like over heating and self booting?

Yes, I used the stock cooler and paste (past tense, I sold it). It had no problems with heat or booting, even at a full 3.8GHz. It even booted over 4GHz, but it wasn't stable after 3.8-something.

It sounds like you didn't install the heatsink properly, which is actually really easy (almost too easy!) to screw up. I had to line it up and remove it at least three times before I finally got it. I think the biggest problem was that when I tried to lock down the second or third pin (any pin with a diagonal opposite already locked down), the other corner would invariably pop back out.

mavalpha said:
It sounds like you didn't install the heatsink properly, which is actually really easy (almost too easy!) to screw up. I had to line it up and remove it at least three times before I finally got it. I think the biggest problem was that when I tried to lock down the second or third pin (any pin with a diagonal opposite already locked down), the other corner would invariably pop back out.

I had that problem, then I replaced the stock cooler with the ThermalTake Silent 775

Back