What can I do with 15 laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 15 Dell laptops at home right now and am trying to think of some cool things I could do with them. I need them for work but I have them home every weekend. They are Dell Latitudes P4m's with 1GB of DDR. I also have 2 16 port cisco switches and my home network has 24 ports throughout the house.

I was thinking of a few things:
- CD Ripping farm. Rip the rest of my CDs to mp3 (I have a huge collection and a lot already in LAME apx).

- LAN game - there's got to be some cool LAN game I could play with my friends that doesn't require a great graphics card. Any ideas? Maybe original UT or CS.

- DIVX/Xvid encoding farm. Might be able to get a bunch of my videos done.

Anyone have any cool ideas. No I'm not going to run them for F@H. I don't want them on 24/7.

The obvious suggestion would be to send me one or two. Barring that, I can't offer anything other than I wish I had 15 P4 laptops.

Uhhh, send one to me?
j/k (Unless you want to :D)

I'd say you could play some UT or CS on those things pretty good. It'd be fun too.

Or make internet access points throughout your house with em. Like set them up in places so if you need internet or something, bam. Right there.

Don't you guys read his post? He said he didn't want to fold. I doubt a whole bunch of people saying "fold!" is going to change his mind.

I say make a LAN or internet access points or something.

acetic said:
Don't you guys read his post? He said he didn't want to fold. I doubt a whole bunch of people saying "fold!" is going to change his mind.

I say make a LAN or internet access points or something.

Yeah but you don't have to run them 24/7 to fold. Timeless WU's and go!

Other than anything you could in massively parallel segments - like that ripping "Farm" you spoke about, I can't think of anything useful that most regular people - including most geeks - could do with 15 laptops. I guess I'm just not thinking "outside the box." I think to be truely useful, maybe you should invite over 15 of your friends, share some beers and give them away.

I don't see why you wouldn't Fold, you could have these things stacked on top of each other!

can you send me one..
frown.gif

My 1.0ghz toshiba sattelite is too slow for web browsing.
wink.gif

i had a 1.8 celeron laptop with 512mb ddr and integrated intel extreme graphics and it ran ut2004, battle field, halo, cs 1.6, quake 3 and age of mythology all at low-mid settings depending on the game.

all of those are fun games for LANs, i say have a weekly lan party and you supply all the gear and make other people supply beer (21+ of course) or soda (<21 crowd)

Ahh yeah like I said. I'm not going to fold on them.

Anyway, I just checked and they are P4m 2.4GHz with a Mobility Radeon 7500 with 32MB. I think I should be able to adjust the RAM and give it 64. I'm going to try MOH Spearhead and maybe Call of Duty. I'd really like to try a hockey game but I don't own one. I own UT2004 too - maybe I'll try that as well.

Okay...

Give a damn good reason why you don't want to fold on them.

You can't.

There's absolutely no reason to NOT run F@H.

If anything, the speed hiccups are so minor that it doesn't matter at all nor does it affect your experience.

Have F@H running while you do the rest of the LAN/Farming.

-J.

Well if you read the original post, I said that I use them for work and only have them on the weekend. I'm not going to set it up temporarily just for a weekend to run it for a few hours. So stop talking about it. Besides that I've never run F@H before and don't have the time to figure it out and set it up.

Takes 10 minutes to figure it out/set it up, depending on your intellectual capability. Takes 5 minutes tops if you're familiar with even WINDOWS. Takes less than 20 minutes to set it up across all 15 laptops.

Run it on non-deadline WU's with non-console client. Does not interfere with your working environment.

Takes no power from you, even when you work on it.

Think about it real hard, depending on your intellectual capability. :rolleyes:

Edit: I need them for work but I have them home every weekend.

So why not run them continuously at work and home?

-J.

Teh [H]orde Pwnt Joo!

GeforceX needs to chill out.
Folding@Home is more stressful to notebooks because of how they are built.
I don't even run it 100% on my VAIO V505EX cause it would cause the fans to continue to kick on and off, and we all know thats not good for hardware.
We suggested it, he said no.
Now shut the fuck up.

I don't even run it 100% on my VAIO V505EX cause it would cause the fans to continue to kick on and off, and we all know thats not good for hardware.

Well, isn't that going to be bad for *all* hardware, desktop and laptops alike?

But other than that, :p. Okay. :)

-J.

Not to mention...there IS a reason not to run F@H on 15 machines, and that is the sheer electric bill of having that many machines running at 100% or 80% load 24/7. People who say F@H doesn't cost anything...well dont know anything. Electricity does not grow on trees.

Erasmus354 said:
Not to mention...there IS a reason not to run F@H on 15 machines, and that is the sheer electric bill of having that many machines running at 100% or 80% load 24/7. People who say F@H doesn't cost anything...well dont know anything. Electricity does not grow on trees.

That depends on where you live. It costs electricity but if you are somewhere where you don't pay for it monthly(ie a college, or a condo/townhouse complex that pays through maintenence fees) you can do it at a much lower cost. I say lower because you are still paying and it gets spread around to everyone then :D

Spectre said:
That depends on where you live. It costs electricity but if you are somewhere where you don't pay for it monthly(ie a college, or a condo/townhouse complex that pays through maintenence fees) you can do it at a much lower cost. I say lower because you are still paying and it gets spread around to everyone then :D

True...but he doesn't live in any of those situations, sounds like he lives in his own house...in which case lets assume each computer uses a LOW 50Watts, he would spend about 40 dollars a month powering those laptops to fold...that is if they were running 24/7....so folding aint free by any means.

Ha, I forgot about that too.

Wow, is that why my monthly bill last month hit $500? Only 3 computers. :confused:

-J.

Seriously, please STFU about folding. I said in the original post that I didn't want to do it and you still don't fucking get it. It really doesn't matter what it costs or how easy it is to set up, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to fold on these laptops and there is absolutely no fucking way that I will.

I have these laptops at home on weekends and I wanted to find something fun to do with them. Watching them run F@H is not fun.

And GeForceX I'm sure you don't want to get into a battle of intellectual capabilites with me.

the previous ideas of making a dvd ripping farm were good, just get a nice big external hard drive and rip to your hearts content :)

compslckr said:
the previous ideas of making a dvd ripping farm were good, just get a nice big external hard drive and rip to your hearts content :)

Nope, ripping and encoding DVDs doesn't take any CPU power and doesn't cost electricity. Nope, none at all.

what's up with the F@H y'all talking about? I must live in a cave or something. F@H? what is it?

I am just stumped as to why you bring these 15 laptops home every weekend, I think carrying around my 1 laptop is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back