X800 Xl Agp**aiw**

gigantorebirdie

Limp Gawd
I stumbled on this at newegg. Just ordered it. Should be a sweet upgrade from my 128 meg 9800 pro. Anyone have any details? I haven't seen anything about an agp aiw xl yet.

Hm, I guess.

The thing is, I went from 6800'GT' to 9800Pro, and in CS:S, I only needed to lower AA/AF in game to play it smooth. So I guess GeForce's really suck against Radeons in source.. and x800XL should really make a fine boost.

Otherwise I play on 1280x1024, everything max except shadows on Low, and AA/AF aint on full, as I could have with GT.... :eek:

Please tell us about the image quality on the tv tuner...and if you can confirm whether or not it uses the theater550 pro.

Is that the only AGP version of the X800XL there is right now? I REALLY want this card but that's the only one i've found. I don't need the AIW by the way.

Goat said:
Is that the only AGP version of the X800XL there is right now? I REALLY want this card but that's the only one i've found. I don't need the AIW by the way.

Theres a non AIW that's only $350. Pretty good deal if you have a card older than or equal to a 9700, otherwise I personally wouldn't spend the money on it. It would be as good as the 6800GT you're planning to get, and about $20 cheaper.

i have a trusty ol' GF4 Ti 4200. I'm in need of a new video card :p

could you post up a link to that AGP non-AIW version?? it would be greatly appreciated.

Goat said:
i have a trusty ol' GF4 Ti 4200. I'm in need of a new video card :p

could you post up a link to that AGP non-AIW version?? it would be greatly appreciated.

Erm, no, I can't actually. See, newegg.... I put AGP in the filter... :(

The $350 one is really PCI-E. The AIW is $419.00. There is a non AIW though, but it's $449. Sorry.

SlasherDNA said:
Hm, I guess.

The thing is, I went from 6800'GT' to 9800Pro, and in CS:S, I only needed to lower AA/AF in game to play it smooth. So I guess GeForce's really suck against Radeons in source.. and x800XL should really make a fine boost.

Otherwise I play on 1280x1024, everything max except shadows on Low, and AA/AF aint on full, as I could have with GT.... :eek:

What are you talking about dude?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter-strike_source/page5.asp

I dont think the GeForce cards suck in CS:S. The Source engine is primarily CPU limited and that is the reason why you didn't see a large performance difference between the 9800 pro and 6800GT although i'm sure you would if you tried to play at a higher resolution.

I'm just saying my experience with GF and Radeon.. I was 100% sure I will have to play on 1024x768 with medium/low settings with 9800Pro..

Tho I would like to play at higher res's, but my monitor doesn't allow me to..

robberbaron said:
Theres a non AIW that's only $350. Pretty good deal if you have a card older than or equal to a 9700, otherwise I personally wouldn't spend the money on it. It would be as good as the 6800GT you're planning to get, and about $20 cheaper.

Good luck finding one in stock. All the places I looked that mentioned the AGP x800xl were places I wouldn't give my CC info to. And the one Newegg has in stock they want about $450 for. Plus the AIW always ends up increasing the resale value when I buy the next* next generation card in about a year.

SlasherDNA said:
I'm just saying my experience with GF and Radeon.. I was 100% sure I will have to play on 1024x768 with medium/low settings with 9800Pro..

Tho I would like to play at higher res's, but my monitor doesn't allow me to..

I could get away with playing 10x7 with high details on the 9800pro, but my dell 2005fpw showed up last week so now I'll be gaming in widescreen and want something that can really push the pixels.

Erasmus354 said:
Please tell us about the image quality on the tv tuner...and if you can confirm whether or not it uses the theater550 pro.

I'll let you know. I hope to see it by Thursday. I went with the fedex saver shipping. I'll also link any reviews if I can find them.

Looks like the Remote Wonder isn't included...but I will be interested to hear what TV playback is like.

I am interested to see what the card looks like lol, cause I know the pictures up on Newegg are wrong cause there is no Rialto bridge chip :D Looking forward to seeing how this card is from you gigantorebirdie

Card is sitting at Fedex waiting for me. I'll pick this up on the way home from work and post picks for all to see tomorrow. I'll also answer any and all questions that i can. :D

LoneWolf said:
Looks like the Remote Wonder isn't included...but I will be interested to hear what TV playback is like.

I dont need the remote. I already have 2. One from my 9000pro AIW and one i bought when I lost my first remote after i moved... then later found again :rolleyes:

The fact is Radeon cards are better for CSS while not by much its still their. Then agian in DOOM3 where the 6800s are better by leaps and bounds I still think the ATI cards deliver very playable frames for that game. The only Diffrence on the [H]ardOCP reviews with teh X800XTPE or X850XTPE on DOOM3 at 1600x1200 was that the Ultra had 2xAA and the Radeons had none but in that game it isnt too noticable.

I'm saving up for a Radeon X800XT A-I-W, they just put em up on newegg. It's $476 i believe, only 50 bucks more that the regular X800XT, i think it's a great deal. And considering I have a 9600XT right now, i'd be looking at a HUGE performance jump, right?

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a link to the whole thing. Sitting on it's sexy wrapper.

Here is a pic of the rage theater chip:

Its a 200. I'm a little disappointed, but i was sick of waiting for a new vid card and this is the one I want, the AIW is just a bonus so save your flames.

It's sitting in my box right now getting tested for stable oc and benched. let me know if you want some more pics. I'll be happy to oblige.

it's an honest to goodness x800 xl with a pci-e - agp bridge on it. I'll post pics as soon as I get my camera back.

gigantorebirdie said:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Its a 200. I'm a little disappointed, but i was sick of waiting for a new vid card and this is the one I want, the AIW is just a bonus so save your flames.

im a little new at the Rage chip thing (mainly becuase i dont use video caping very much, but whats the main diff betwenn that 200 and the 550 chip?

Commander X800 said:
im a little new at the Rage chip thing (mainly becuase i dont use video caping very much, but whats the main diff betwenn that 200 and the 550 chip?

not sure....but I know the 550 is definitely the better chip :) The 200 is like its little brother.

have you gotten any resultes as far as the oc`n of the card goes? the reason im asking is becuase im thinking about getting that very same model from newegg.com and if the oc is ok (say some where around 440-450 for the core) i'll stick with getting it. info is greatly helpfull and thanks in advance.

Commander X800 said:
have you gotten any resultes as far as the oc`n of the card goes? the reason im asking is becuase im thinking about getting that very same model from newegg.com and if the oc is ok (say some where around 440-450 for the core) i'll stick with getting it. info is greatly helpfull and thanks in advance.

Here is my stable OC at this point, mind you my case doesn't have great airflow since everything is watercooled except for the x800, but anyway...

The core has run all weekend at 500. I used the atitool and let it find the highest core speed. Then i did the same for the highest memory score. Mem is 575. I'm pleased with the core speed. The mem is a little shocking however. I looked it up and I have k4j55323qf-gc16 modules. These are rated at 600, so i think the heat buildup is holding me back. although 500/575 is nothing to frown on. I played cs:s all weekend and didn't have any texture ripping or artifacting at all. Once I improve my cases airflow I'll really twist the screws.

Any good suggestions on a waterblock that works on the AIW's? This thing is dying to go faster. I keep kicking her and she keeps coming back for more. Looks like 505 core is stable, and 585 mem. I think I'm in love!

im thinking of buying one of thes cards from newegg. there now 389 + 3.99 S/H

any advice?

----> edit: to late already order one :)

nice card.. i think i may order one as well :p

btw... i heard a few people mentioned that the x800 cards' original fans make a rather gentle but repeated "ticking" sounds at low fan speeds (say, around 30% the full speed)... do you have any experience with that?

Also, with your overclocked core and mem, how hot does the x800xl aiw card get when playing graphics-intensive games for a few hours? How fast are the fans spinning?

Please let me know, thanks :D :D

lyying said:
nice card.. i think i may order one as well :p

btw... i heard a few people mentioned that the x800 cards' original fans make a rather gentle but repeated "ticking" sounds at low fan speeds (say, around 30% the full speed)... do you have any experience with that?

Also, with your overclocked core and mem, how hot does the x800xl aiw card get when playing graphics-intensive games for a few hours? How fast are the fans spinning?

Please let me know, thanks :D :D

Order one, i find it hard to believe you'll be disappointed! The fan is not ticking, nor is it noticably loud. As far as temperature it's pretty hot. I wouldn't rest your johnson on it, but doesn't seem to cause any instability. I played cs:s for about 6 hrs straight without even so much as a hiccup. This is with the highest widescreen setting 1360x768, Model detail High, Texture Detail High, Water Detail Reflecty world, Shadow High, AA 4x, Aniso 8x, and Shader High. Maintains 115 FPS.

Erasmus354 said:
not sure....but I know the 550 is definitely the better chip :) The 200 is like its little brother.

The Theater 550 adds hardware MPEG-2 encoding, and a 3D comb filter to improve the quality of TV/video, plus its 2D comb filter is a five-line filter as compared to the 200's 3-lind filter. It also supports PCI Express (the 200 apparently does not). It's mainly for PVR boards right now.

Best information can be found here:

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_theater_550_pro/default.asp

Most reviews I've seen have so far ripped 550 Pro-based cards a new one, as the software is lacking in features, and the output doesn't improve that much over the Theater 200. If ATI gets its rear in gear with software (a problem they've had over time with the AIW and TV tuner cards) it'll be a good product. There's no reason to really be disappointed in having the Theater 200 though.

gigantorebirdie said:
Order one, i find it hard to believe you'll be disappointed! The fan is not ticking, nor is it noticably loud. As far as temperature it's pretty hot. I wouldn't rest your johnson on it, but doesn't seem to cause any instability. I played cs:s for about 6 hrs straight without even so much as a hiccup. This is with the highest widescreen setting 1360x768, Model detail High, Texture Detail High, Water Detail Reflecty world, Shadow High, AA 4x, Aniso 8x, and Shader High. Maintains 115 FPS.

Uhmm..... but how hot is "pretty hot"? Above 100C? :p

Also, when you mentioned that the fan speed is not noticably loud, did you mean that when it's rotating at low speed or high speed?

Thanks for your fast reply btw~~ :)

PS.... If i really do order one, it'll be in the beginning of next month when i can get some cash on hand... T_T

LoneWolf said:
The Theater 550 adds hardware MPEG-2 encoding, and a 3D comb filter to improve the quality of TV/video, plus its 2D comb filter is a five-line filter as compared to the 200's 3-lind filter. It also supports PCI Express (the 200 apparently does not). It's mainly for PVR boards right now.

Best information can be found here:

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_theater_550_pro/default.asp

Most reviews I've seen have so far ripped 550 Pro-based cards a new one, as the software is lacking in features, and the output doesn't improve that much over the Theater 200. If ATI gets its rear in gear with software (a problem they've had over time with the AIW and TV tuner cards) it'll be a good product. There's no reason to really be disappointed in having the Theater 200 though.

I think you need to read your reviews more closely. Even the review you linked to praised the Theater550 chip, saying it provided some of the best image quality they have seen in a TV tuner card. Their only gripe was with the new TV Tuner used, which while much smaller than the older phillips tuner, was a bit slower changing channels. The software problems are something that they also didn't look into enough. The PowerCinema Software is still under development, and when the rest of the features are done will be made available as a free download to owners who have already purchased the card.

So basically the only downpoints of the card have been slow channel changing (not all of us switch channels continuosly...sometimes people like to actually stay on the same channel and watch an entire tv show *GASP*). And poor software, which is in the process of being upgraded, not to mention you could always use the card with other software.

lyying said:
Uhmm..... but how hot is "pretty hot"? Above 100C? :p

Also, when you mentioned that the fan speed is not noticably loud, did you mean that when it's rotating at low speed or high speed?

Thanks for your fast reply btw~~ :)

PS.... If i really do order one, it'll be in the beginning of next month when i can get some cash on hand... T_T

the fan only spins at one speed so far as I've noticed. I can't tell if it has multiple settings, i'll have to see what the fan is up to. I'll also try to find out the temperature for you. Is there software that does that or do i need to go diggin around for a probe?

gigantorebirdie said:
the fan only spins at one speed so far as I've noticed. I can't tell if it has multiple settings, i'll have to see what the fan is up to. I'll also try to find out the temperature for you. Is there software that does that or do i need to go diggin around for a probe?

I think ATI Tool (the newest stable version, not sure about the version number) supports temperature monitoring and manual fan speed adjustments for all X800 series cards.

btw.... i'm very surprised how you said that you did not notice any change in the fan speed, since I heard that the fan speed varies significantly according to the temperature...
Maybe the card is running so cool that it doesn't even need to increase the fan speed up? lol (in that case, overclock more~~)

Damn, seems Newegg just changed the price back to $399. I wonder what that's about? I still got to try to order one of these...

Back