Cursor Lag 2005FPW

Trematode

n00b
Just wondering if anybody else has run into this issue:

When I first received my 2005FPW I noticed that the windows desktop cursor was lagging behind the actual mouse movements enough for it to be bothersome. Actually, very bothersome.

I was unsure what was causing this, and at first assumed it was a limitation of LCD tech; however, I remembered that the flat panels I regularly use at work don't suffer from the problem. In addition to this, I also did some research and found what looked to be a pretty infamous thread on slashdot basically calling a guy crazy for reporting the exact same thing.

So I started to think it was all in my head, and resolved to get used to the strange-feeling mouse response.

Anyway, to make a long story short -- it turns out my initial observations were dead on! There WAS lag that wasn't there on my old CRT, and I wasn't imagining things. I know this now because I stumbled on a way to fix it:

Disable the hardware cursor (advanced video settings->troubleshoot tab->move the slider one notch to the left from maximum).

As it happens, it seems the problem was caused by some sort of weird glitch with either my BFG 6800 Ultra OC, its drivers, or some component of windows, and perhaps the DVI output, or the non-standard resolution -- or any combination of these things that resulted in slightly delayed cusor movement when the machine is boot up with hardware cursor turned on.

Once disabled, the mouse input goes back to normal. The odd thing about this is that I can re-enable it after this, and the problem won't resurface until the next reboot.

Anybody else notice the same thing on their systems, perhaps? Maybe you wrote it off as being all in your mind, or a fact of life with certain LCDs? In any event, test it out and post your results here. If we can confirm that it is a bug, maybe it can eventually be fixed by nvidia.

To clarify, the kind of mouse lag I am talking about is very slight, and somewhat resembles that which you might experience by turning on tripple buffering in a game (eg. max payne was pretty bad for this if I recall).

sorry to bump lads, but I'm really curious as to whether anybody else has the problem.

hey you're not nuts. I have the same problem (laggy mouse) in 1920x1200 mode with my geforce3 ti200. I only thought to look in control panel | mouse, not the display settings. that does seem to help. although the mouse is still slow, at least it doesn't lag, i.e., you move it and it takes a split second for the pointer to catch up.

You need to increase the refresh rate of the LCD if possible. You may not be able to on the 2005FPW because of the DVI bandwidth limitation and the native resolution but i changed my refresh rate on my L90D+ 1280x1024 from DVI 60Hz to 75Hz and it makes a very large difference in mouse pointer speed.

You're right, because of the bandwidth limitation, 60hz is the max for the native resolution with DVI.

But I can knock it down to 1280x1024 and put it up to 75hz and this doesn't seem to solve the problem. To clarify, I'm actually talking about a lag in response -- not just choppy movement across the screen.

What type of mouse are you using? Have you tried uninstalling it and installing the latest drivers?

I'm using an MX1000, yes I've tried reinstalling the drivers -- but I knew this was a long shot when I did it.

It's definitely not a mouse issue as it always worked fine on my old CRT.

Trematode said:
I'm using an MX1000, yes I've tried reinstalling the drivers -- but I knew this was a long shot when I did it.

It's definitely not a mouse issue as it always worked fine on my old CRT.

I'm on a 2005FPW now and i use an MX510 and i havn't noticed the lag issue yet on DVI @ 60Hz.

I've also noticed the lag issue. Changing the refresh rate doesn't help. Reducing the acceleration slider does.Mouse is MX500 which I've been using the past year or so.

Try turning off mouse acceleration. I've seen some wierdness in the way Windows XP mouse acceleration behaves with optical mice, but don't know of any connection between it and LCD monitors.

I just got my 2405FPW and I'm getting a little cursor lag too :/ MX1000 mouse. Video card is a 6800 GT connected via DVI. It feels like I've completely lost hardware cursor support :/ It's subtle and I kinda got used to it last night, but then I came into work this morning where the mouse don't lag... I sure hope I can find a solution. Playing with the video hardware acceleration doesn't help... hardware cursor support just never seems to kick in.

I have the same issue ! 2405fpw over DVI on 6800GT. I played with the mouse speed / accelaration and I was able to lessen the effect, but still doesn't feel as smooth as my CRT. I have a MS explorer 3.0.

Sounds like it is happening to people with 6800s. I have the 2005 and use it with a 9500pro and x800pro and see no problems.

Anybody have any contact information for nvidia as far as bug reporting goes? I can't seem to find anything on their site.

I'm seeing it with my GF4 4200. So far, I don't think a video card exists which has been conclusively shown not to show the problem..

Using MX1000+Dell 2405+BFG 6800 Ultra OC with no problems here. Works great !

Hey Guys,

Just to reiterate -- the problem is very subtle and hard to discern. So much so that I got to a point where I started thinking it was all in my head. Sometimes I would notice it, and sometimes I wouldn't. The more I used it the more I got used to it, and the harder it was to tell it was happening.

I tried a little test last night, though, that leaves me with no doubt in my mind that this is a real issue.

First, make sure full acceleration is turned on in the windows display settings (ie. the slider mentioned in the first post). Now click on a small sized window and drag it around in a small, slow and constant circular motion.

You may notice that your mouse cursor lags behind the window itself by a few milliseconds -- if this is happening, you're being affected by the bug.

Now try the same thing with the slider one notch to the left. The window and the cursor should move in tandem.

This is exactly what happens for me. With the hardware cursor on, it lags behind ever so slightly, but with it off, it sticks to the window title bar as if it were pinned to it.

The hardware accelerated cursor behavior was so offputting to me the first time I actually used my flat panel, but it was one of those things where I just couldn't quantify what was happening... Until now, that is.

I have a mx1000 a GF 6800gt but dont have this problem at all. It might be worth testing what happends when you go to you display properties > settings > advanced > troubleshoot and DISable "Enable write combining". I keep that off cause the games run faster for me with it disabled.

MX510 + 6800u + 2405 = no lag, and I play a very fast paced FPS online. Most headshots, most kills in some tourneys :D :cool: It's Unreal 2 XMP for those few who know what it is ;)

If anything, the mouse seemed to be much more responsive than when I played the same game on 2001fp :p

hi, i have 6800gt with mx1000 i also have this problem with both my crt, 2405fpw on the way. I would call it more a of jittery bug when you move the mouse sort of like the videocard cant draw the mouse fast enough... im wondering if maybe it has something to do with windows XP if thats what everyone here that is experiencing the problem is running. Maybe because they use some 3d stuff in xp the videocard is trying to draw it in 2d and cant handle it some shit like that... who knows

All i know is i got this mouse expecting it to be X number times more accurate than my Intelimouse 3.0, but felt EXACTLY the same except the wireless. My 3.0 alos had this problem along with my geforce 4 ti4400. So it seams like its definately not just the monitor, but either the OS or as the guy above said the videocard

I have a lot of cursor lag!

2405FPW + x800Pro + MS Bluetooth Wireless Intellimouse.

I will try to disable the hardware accelleration thing tonight, I hope that helps?

Turning off hardware cursor does seem to improve the lag a lot, but then games that try to force hardware cursor have flickering/glitchy cursor problems.

My 2405fpw is everything I wanted except for this one annoying problem.....WHY!?!!?

Do any of you that have the cursor lag happen to have their video card hooked up to 2 monitors? If yes then see if the problem happens when you disconnect the other monitor.

I unhooked my second display last night and I don't think it made any difference. I'll have to compare them tonight. My second display is my plasma that I run my PC to for playing DVDs.

If you have 2 monitors and an nvidia card set it for the lcd as primary monitor and no secondary and see if that helps.

I have a dell lcd and a crt and a g6800u. The lag issue seems to be gone or at least a lot better when i dont' have both hooked up at the same time. More specifically in the nvidia control panel set the lcd as the primary monitor and turn off the other monitor. Don't have it set for dualview or any of the other settings and see what happens.

"Do any of you that have the cursor lag happen to have their video card hooked up to 2 monitors?"

I have 2 LCD's (Dell 2005FPW, Viewsonic VX800) hooked up to 1 x800xt video card.
No cursor lag.

I have a 6800GT and mx500. Right out of the box when I hooked up this monitor i noticed the lag. Just like the original poster I assumed it was because of the 60hz refresh when I had been using 100hz on my previous crt. This completely throws off my ability to aim in FPS's. Finally, las night I tried a friends older LCD with the same mouse. I couldn't feel any lag whatsoever and instantly knew it wasn't the 60hz refresh or fact that it was an LCD causing this lag. So, I decided to research the issue. Turning off hardware mouse has without a doubt reduced the lag I feel in windows, but there is still a little something there. I'm going to game a bit in a moment and I'll post back if it's improved at all in CS or quake.

I'm running 1680x1050 60Hz VGA from an old PowerMac G4, and my cursor lag was really bad... until I found this by accident:

I went to the OSD / Image Settings and hit Auto Adjust several times until the lag magically improved -- I check the lag after each Auto Adjust to see if I get the improvement. Once the lag is improved, it will toggle back to bad if I hit Auto Adjust again. This whole switch-back-and-forth effect is easily reproducible on my unit.

Not sure why it works, but I imagine an extra frame or two of image-processing is happening when the analog signal isn't being picked up just right. :) Matt

PS - Now if there were only a way to turn off the 18-bit dithering!!! :p

Back