PC wont post

Naldo

2[H]4U
Well I turned on my computer a few hours ago and it didnt post, I tried everything I know to see if I can get it to work. When I press the power button everything powers up (fans spin up, ghard drive spins up, etc.) but nothing happens after that. The Hard Drive Activity Light is stuck on and resetting the cmos by taking the battery out for 1min doesnt help either. I've disassembled and reassembled the pc twice already so I know everything is hooked up correctly. Any idea how I might fix this? I really dont want to wait a week for a new motherboard to get here.

Do you see anything on the screen when it is attempting to boot? Post? Bios?

any beepcodes?
My standard proceedure (at least on machines that give me some info, like beeps) is to take everything out but the CPU, and then sequentially add stuff like memory (trying all sticks single) and video card. Usually the MB complains diffrently depending on what you add.
My guess is CPU or video card bad, with memory you normally at least the a boot message from the video card.

before it messed up I was adjusting the memory timings, so I dont know if that has anything to do with it. That wouldnt kill anything would it? I certainly hope its not the CPU that would suck ass. I ordered some new RAM a few days ago and that will be getting here tomorrow, should I test that out in this motherboard? Is there a chance it will kill it?

I dont have a case speaker, so i cant tell what kind of tones if any are coming out of it. Im going to see if I can track one down. I ordered a new motherboard, but it wont be here for a while and I still want to see if I can get this one up and running. Thanks for the help thus far.

I hooked up a random car speaker to the connectors on the motherboard and I get no beeps. I stripped down to just motherboard and CPU and worked up from there and no success. I hope its just the motherboard that is dead (as long as its not a dead CPU im fine with it, cant afford to buy a new one).

The PC Im on now is socket A, no agp, and uses SDRAM so I cant test any of the parts in here. Guess I'll just play it safe and wait for the new motherboard and RAM to get here.

Is there anyway I can tell for sure if its a dead motherboard or dead CPU? Cause I figure if the motherboard was dead it wouldnt be able to give power to the fans or anything, and if the CPU was dead it would be generating anyheat while it was on.

Is there anyway I can tell for sure if the CPU is dead aside from putting it in another system? I just want to be sure that buying a new motherboard was the right thing to do.

i'm having the same problem

i'm waiting for my new g.card to get here

all i get on the moniter is "PLEASE CHECK SIGNAL CABLE"

people say that is a video card related problem

i put AS5 on my cpu so overheating isn't a problem.. no bent pins

I've tried using a different video card didnt work for me but good luck.

Ok, my RAM just got here, do you think its safe for me to test it out in this motherboard to see if that fixes it? The motherboard wont kill it will it?

EDIT: Tried the RAM, still didnt turn on. So that rules out RAM, Video Card, and Power Supply. Guess that leaves CPU and Motherboard as the culprit, and I pray its the Motherboard.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to take the speaker out of the other spare PC and hook it up to see if you get any beep/post codes?

I'd hate to suggest to anyone to spend money on new ram/mobo/psu and time when a $2 speaker might give us a better clue.

Also, we assume you stripped out everything but 1 stick of ram, 1 cpu and 1 vid-card? No HDD's, no soundcards, no extras? Just in case?

Well, I found a case speaker (never thought to look inside the pc im on right now) and I get no beeps at all, even when I take the RAM out. So its got to be the Motherboard right? If so thats great (well, not great but better than it being the CPU).

Could be the PSU, the mobo, or the CPU if you get no beep codes. The PSU in another machine might power that one fine, but it may not give enough juice to the current rig.

Back