dellxps_screen005.jpg

dellxps_screen006.jpg

dellxps_screen007.jpg

dellxps_screen008.jpg

bookfront.jpg

bookopen2.jpg

Heck Right Now-

Inspiron XPS Gen 2 Qty 1
Intel® Pentium® M 760 Processor (2GHz/533MHz FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Unit Price $3,325.00
Dell Home Customers: Save $500 off the Dell Insprion XPS!
Limited Time Offer!
- $500.00

TOTAL: $2,825.00

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife
Intel® Pentium® M 760 Processor (2GHz/533MHz FSB)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra
60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability

That's one thing I like with the Inspiron lineup, good performance with good battery life.

ycchan said:
rofl 58 mins battery life

Didn't we already give the XPS-2 a sound thrashing here last week?

I thought, since it is a centrino architecture and similar to the 9300/9200 the concensus was closer to 2hr battery life?

Course no one has one so everyone is just guessing at this point.....

klowngoblin said:
LOL that thing is a beast! look at how many vents there are!

Those aren't vents. They are speed holes.

Now I just need a NOS sticker for it, ++MHz baby!!!! :D

trikster2 said:
Didn't we already give the XPS-2 a sound thrashing here last week?

I thought, since it is a centrino architecture and similar to the 9300/9200 the concensus was closer to 2hr battery life?

Course no one has one so everyone is just guessing at this point.....
He was reading the battery life for the Envy

I think it looks kickass, I'd rather put that much money into my desktop though.

My laptop is fast enough for me (maybe another 512mb of ram and a 7200rpm harddrive)

That's one riced up notebook!

I like the illusion of making the chasis look smaller than it is by outlining it with thick black lines.

I actually have one of these on order and should be getting it in about 2 weeks.

Fully loaded, 100Gb hd, 2.14Ghz Pentium M chip, GeForce6800U, 17inch screen, 1gb ram, backpack, 8xDVD/CDrom, XP Pro, OfficePro all the bells and whistles (and the backpack)..

Total Cost: $3500.00.

The best part? My work is buying it for me. :D

Not sure why anyone would want to buy that backpack with the laptop. It just screams "STEAL ME" Especially when you have people loading these things out for on around $3000 a piece.

Get a more generic (padded!!) bag if you want to keep this thing for a while.

Well, for the work I do, the chance of it getting stolen is slim. Plus its generally a nice backpack and fits the laptop.... not like this happens with any backpack you get.

I'm curious...What kind of company buys a $3500 gaming laptop for an employee? Are they hiring? :D

Ok here is another thing I want to figure out before I lay the mulah down on one of these. I already own the academic edition of Windows XP pro (sorry, I don't want to purchase it again) and I won't need it on the computer i'm currently using it on after I purchase this xps2. So the first thing I'll want to do when I get it is format and reload fresh copy of XP pro.

I'm concerned that the only way, though, to obtain the neon lighting control program, dvd player / burning software, sound drivers, etc... will be to install the OS using dell's restore disk or whatever. Or since we are paying extra for the "cool" computer will they do something nice for us and put all that stuff on a seperate cd?

Ralman said:
Not sure why anyone would want to buy that backpack with the laptop. It just screams "STEAL ME" Especially when you have people loading these things out for on around $3000 a piece.

Get a more generic (padded!!) bag if you want to keep this thing for a while.

What are they gonna do, rip it off your back while you're walking? If you live in a neighborhood like that, I'd move to a better place before buying an expensive laptop. I ordered the XPS backpack and will use it to carry it to campus when I need to study for the MCAT and GRE.

Freezie KO said:
Or since we are paying extra for the "cool" computer will they do something nice for us and put all that stuff on a seperate cd?

They dedicate an entire partition for that stuff. Plus you can just download it again off Dells website. You guys should check out http://www.notebookforums.com for more info. on this laptop. Lots of guys will be receiving their XPS 2's tomorrow morning so we should get tons of info there.

MFZ said:
They dedicate an entire partition for that stuff. Plus you can just download it again off Dells website. You guys should check out http://www.notebookforums.com for more info. on this laptop. Lots of guys will be receiving their XPS 2's tomorrow morning so we should get tons of info there.
Hm.. neat. Is it directly acessable? For example, I could reinstall only the programs and drivers I want/need? Or can only the OS restore program access it? Once again meaning that unless I pay Microsoft (again...) for xp pro I can't control the neon lights, have sound, etc...

I'm sorry to be pesimistic, but i've had friends get scewed like this.

Freezie KO said:
Hm.. neat. Is it directly acessable? For example, I could reinstall only the programs and drivers I want/need? Or can only the OS restore program access it? Once again meaning that unless I pay Microsoft (again...) for xp pro I can't control the neon lights, have sound, etc...

I'm sorry to be pesimistic, but i've had friends get scewed like this.

Well the partition is accessible, its just a small partition dell makes on the HD and stores that shit for you.

too rich for my blood, but for a second, I forgot all about hyping for a psp....for a second.... :D ( And my offer of a trade for my 6800 gt for a psp still stands )

MFZ said:
What are they gonna do, rip it off your back while you're walking? If you live in a neighborhood like that, I'd move to a better place before buying an expensive laptop. I ordered the XPS backpack and will use it to carry it to campus when I need to study for the MCAT and GRE.

Like anything that has a brand name plastered all over it, like a notebook briefcase, backpack or camera bag, it just screams "STEAL ME" to anyone willing to snatch it off your shoulder or grab it while when it's unattended.

Just ask Larry Lee Ned... would you give up an NFL career to steal a Dell? :confused:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0305cards0305.html

It's pretty and all... but I just can't understand why Dell and Toshiba waste all the extra keyboard space the 17" screen allows.

I have an HP ZD7000, and I couldn't live without the full-size number pad on the right.

I heard through the grapevine that.....

the XPS Gen 3 will have a 3.8Ghz processor in it....
with flowmasters mini chrome exhaust.
And 10 minutes battery life!!

Its going to be AWESOME!! :rolleyes:

id like to see alienware beat this. Alienware been usin the same ugly chassie since forever. And this one has light and has been totally redesigned. woot!

now, off to go buy some lotto tickets...

There are a couple of people over at notebookforums.com who have received their XPS2s. The preliminary reports are a bit disappointing in regard to the screen...sparkle effect, dull or grayish whites...seem to be the first impressions.

atlwriter said:
MFZ -- Did you get your XPS2, yet? :D

Not yet, I barely got to the testing stage tonight. Then again I did modify my order about 3 times so thats why. But judging by the 2 of 3 guys that got their XPS 2's, maybe thats a good thing since they said they see sparkles on their screens. This is basically a lottery right now, you win if you get the Samsung screen and you lose if you get LG-Philips. If I get the LG I'll just request a lcd parts replacement and have them send me the samsung kit.

MFZ said:
Not yet, I barely got to the testing stage tonight. Then again I did modify my order about 3 times so thats why. But judging by the 2 of 3 guys that got their XPS 2's, maybe thats a good thing since they said they see sparkles on their screens. This is basically a lottery right now, you win if you get the Samsung screen and you lose if you get LG-Philips. If I get the LG I'll just request a lcd parts replacement and have them send me the samsung kit.
Is the Samsung noticeably better than the LG?

atlwriter said:
Is the Samsung noticeably better than the LG?

According to the most of the guys that got it, yes it is. The whites don't have the noticeable sparkle that LG screens suffer from.

MFZ said:
According to the most of the guys that got it, yes it is. The whites don't have the noticeable sparkle that LG screens suffer from.
That's reassuring. I'm still considering a reorder of an XPS2, but am waiting on more reviews from everyone.

I'm still waiting for my XPS2, but will definately post pics and such for you guys when I get it (although this might take a while since apparently there's a backorder on my 60GB 7200rpm HDD).

I really should stop looking at XPS2 threads.

GuruX said:
I'm still waiting for my XPS2, but will definately post pics and such for you guys when I get it (although this might take a while since apparently there's a backorder on my 60GB 7200rpm HDD).

I really should stop looking at XPS2 threads.

Lets just hope our orders don't get cancelled like some of the guys at notebookforums. One of them was in the boxing stage for 4 days and tonight he checked his order and it was cancelled and he had to start all over. I think I'd be so fuckin pissed that I'd never order from Dell again.

IM proabbly gonna be getting one of these laptops with an extra battery within the next day or so .. not as riced out tho 2 ghz, 512 dual channel... 80 gig , 2 batterys ,the Standard drive it comes with, but still will be very fast ^_^

MFZ said:
Lets just hope our orders don't get cancelled like some of the guys at notebookforums. One of them was in the boxing stage for 4 days and tonight he checked his order and it was cancelled and he had to start all over. I think I'd be so fuckin pissed that I'd never order from Dell again.

Indeed -- I've been reading (and posting on) those forums as well. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

(I just wish Canadians could get detailed build status icons like you guys in the States -- all I know is my laptop is "In Production" (I don't know if it's at kitting, building, testing, or boxing)

GuruX said:
Indeed -- I've been reading (and posting on) those forums as well. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

(I just wish Canadians could get detailed build status icons like you guys in the States -- all I know is my laptop is "In Production" (I don't know if it's at kitting, building, testing, or boxing)

Yeah I remember you mentioning that to me on the NB forums.

i wish like hell i didnt buy a 5150. Its and ugly brick and i should have waited 3 months for something with a parellel port :)

MFZ said:

they dont need to rip it off. If someone whips out a 9mm pistol they wont need to do much ripping off. So you are saying if someone lives in NYC they should move to another location before buying this?? IDK, but unless you live in the boonies you have a chance of getting this stolen from you IMO.

Back